Windows Update failed on KB935509

RHoffner

Jan 12, 2008, 8:13:00 AM1/12/08
The Windows Update could not be installed, i get the ErrorCode : 80004005
Installation is Windows Vista Ultimate.
Free Space on Drive C: 2,5 GB
Hardware Sepc :
Intel Core 2 Duo 6300
2GB RAM

Ernst Klamer

Jan 14, 2008, 1:12:00 PM1/14/08
I'm having the same problem with kb935509. Tried to fix the MBR, tried
the stand alone installation, tried to change the boot sequence, don't
have a comodore firewall and tried to install without virusscanner. I
really have no clue anymore what to do. It keeps installing, rebooting
and after 2 or three reboots, it has failed.

Windows Vista Ultimate,
no dual boot, no bitlocker installed.

AlanKHunt

Jan 14, 2008, 2:01:00 PM1/14/08
Me, too. i.e.,
KB935509 "important" update repeatedly fails, with error code 80004005.
I'm running Vista Ultimate on a high-end notebook PC (Fujitsu LifeBook
N6420) with AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition, no dual-boot, no bitlocker, plenty
of disk space (61GB free of 183GB total) and plenty of memory (2GB).

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 14, 2008, 4:57:30 PM1/14/08
If you don't call or open a Support Incident, MS may not be aware of the
scope of this problem, Ernst.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Ernst Klamer

Jan 15, 2008, 7:13:05 AM1/15/08
PA BEAR, thank you for your response and the link. I've sent an email
to Microsoft. I hope they can help me. If I have a solution, I will
post it here.

H.@discussions.microsoft.com Joe H.

Jan 17, 2008, 8:59:02 AM1/17/08

"Ernst Klamer" wrote:

Add me to the list. Having this issue since MS offered this update. Tried
installing it alone and still not work. Update History shows the manual
install as successful, but also shows the AutoInstall as failed. What is MS
thinking? The same update is shown BOTH failed & successful. I've already
sent email. Hopefully, MS realizes that this is a problem for many.

Machine specs: Vista Ultimate, Quadcore Q6600.

Ernst Klamer

Jan 17, 2008, 11:58:17 AM1/17/08
So far, no luck. I received some emails from microsoft, trying to
reset windows update. But still no luck. Today I didn't receive an
email from microsoft, but hopefully tomorrow. Like Joe H., I also have
the manaul update installed successfully, but the autoinstall is still
indicated as failed. I will keep you informed, when I receive more
info from microsoft.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 17, 2008, 11:55:44 AM1/17/08

And did YOU open a free support incident, too? If users don't report such
problems, MS may never fix it! (Generally speaking, no one from MS monitors
this peer-to-peer support newsgroup.)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 17, 2008, 12:14:36 PM1/17/08
Thank you, Ernst.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

gadya

Jan 17, 2008, 12:39:02 PM1/17/08
I am having the identical problem!
I tried to log a support call as recommended but the support site was
inaccessible (after login)!
--
Victor

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 17, 2008, 7:36:49 PM1/17/08
Try calling.

Repost:

gadya wrote:
> I am having the identical problem!
> I tried to log a support call as recommended but the support site was
> inaccessible (after login)!

Ernst Klamer

Jan 18, 2008, 5:13:06 PM1/18/08
No answer from MS today. I did however find this site:
http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=81176 with a possible
solution for some of you.

Unfortunately, it didn't work for me. It still keeps on restarting 3
times, even in safe mode. But perhaps it works for one of you.

1. Click the windows button, in the search box type
system configuration
2. On the boot tab, check the radio button for safe mode.
3. Apply and OK
4. DO NOT RESTART as requested - click restart later.
5. Go to control panel, system
6. Click on System Protection on the left
7. Uncheck all the drives
8. Confirm you want to turn off system restore.
9. Go to control panel, windows updates
10. View Updates
11. Uncheck all updates except KB935509
12. Install selected updates
13. When it has installed, click the restart message and let the
computer restart.
14. When it restarts, it will restart into safe mode (having first
shown the configuring updates message).
15. Logon to your account
16. Click the windows button and type in System configuration in the
search box again
17. Select boot tab and change it back to where it was (normal)
18. Apply and ok and allow restart by clicking restart button that
comes up.
19. When the computer starts up again it should be in normal mode and
you may get a message that Vista has blocked a start up item (right)
click on the icon below the message and select run blocked startup
item. It is just the system configuration message about having altered
the system configuration.
20. Check the box on the system configuration message to never show
this again (don't worry it will the next time you use system
configuration).
view update history
22. KB935509 should now be showing as successfully installed.
protection and turn on system restore.

24. Post whether this worked for you or not please!

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 18, 2008, 8:14:52 PM1/18/08

Ernst Klamer

Jan 19, 2008, 7:41:55 AM1/19/08
I finally solved the problem. It had something to do with bitlocker,
missing some important files. I don't know why it doesn't want to
install the update but this is the solution that worked for me. You
need a 256 MB USB drive or bigger (temporary).

FIRST, MAKE A BACKUP!!!!

1 To fix Bitlocker, I just configured Bitlocker according to this
site: http://www.ehow.com/how_2101557_trusted-platform-module-tpm-chip.html

2 After the restart, you don't have to turn on Bitlocker. Just leave
it off, install your update and restart. It should then be
successfull.

3 Next thing is to remove the Bitlocker partition (1,5 GB), which has
been created in the first step. I don't want to use it, so I used the
instructions on this site: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1312214&SiteID=17

Note that you cannot add the 1,5 GB to C:, only to D:, if the is
adjacent to the Bitlocker partition. The above solution will move 1,5
GB from C to D. If you don't want that, use another drive partitioning
program, to relocate the free space.

Also note that I had to use the Vista DVD twice in step 3. First to
repair windows, as it "found problems with my computer" and, after a
restart for the second time, to use the option "startup repair". This
is not mentioned on the site in step 3, so it might not be applicable
for everybody.

Good luck.

Landes@discussions.microsoft.com Hermann Landes

Feb 1, 2008, 11:11:01 AM2/1/08
Same problem but I found another solution. I have a dual disk system, with
vista installed on the second disc; boot manager grub.
After several update failures - install, reboot vista, automatic reboot,
install failure - I choose boot from second disc in BIOS boot menu, so
skipping grub. With this no problems during update procedure were noticed.

simon

Feb 20, 2008, 5:16:00 PM2/20/08
I had dual boot with grub. Linux and Vista on the same hard-disk. Grub
chainloaded the vista bootloader.

This is my fix to it:
Download and use EasyBCD to restore the Vista Bootlader in the MBR, or if
necessary use the Vista recovery dvd as well.
Use EasyBCD to add a record to the vista bootloader pointing to my linux
root/boot partition and let it install the neogrub bootloader.
Also use EasyBCD to set the vista bootloader timeout to like 5secs so I
don't have to actively select OS or wait 30secs

All set to go. Vista loader does the master booting and the updates are
happy and install successfully. Vista loader also points to linux "grub"
loader which points to linux, linux failsafe AND back to vista ;P (from when
grub was still the primary loader).

It's a bit more complex/redundant than the reverse setup (grub pointing to
the vista bootloader) and I might switch back now that the updates ares set.

krikke

May 22, 2008, 3:12:02 AM5/22/08
For me, the bitlocker preparation (step 7 in ) fails with "Error Preparing
Drive for BitLocker ... 0x80070005 Access denied." Sigh. What now?