Re: MS Bulletins vs Automatic MS Updates

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 15, 2008, 2:38:40 PM2/15/08
Windows version? Which updates aren't offered?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

MightyThor wrote:
> Why is it that Automatic MS Updates does not include the updates that are
> listed in the MS Bulletins?
> I am forced to manually search for the updates each time.
> I'd appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

MightyThor

Feb 15, 2008, 3:00:02 PM2/15/08

I apply the MS Updates in Windows 2000/2003 servers.
The listed updates when you run the MS Update does not include all of the
updates/revisions mentioned in the MS Bulletins.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 15, 2008, 4:48:27 PM2/15/08
Again, to which updates are you referring (e.g., MS08-003, MS08-005,
MS08-006, MS08-007, MS08-008 and/or MS08-10; not all of which apply to
Win2000)?

Are you updating these machines via Automatic Updates, Windows Update
website, or WSUS?

Note that this is a peer-to-peer support newsgroup, not an official MS
Support area.
=======================

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
--
~PA Bear

MightyThor

Feb 15, 2008, 5:11:01 PM2/15/08

From the January 16, 2008 MS Bulletin, it includes the MS07-061 (KB943460)
update.
When I run the Microsoft Update, it is not part of the list of automatic
updates.
It list other updates, but it doesn't include KB943460.
I have to manually go to the MS Download Center to actually download and run
the updates.
I hope this clarifies my question.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Feb 15, 2008, 6:02:41 PM2/15/08
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS07-061 – Critical: Vulnerability in Windows
URI Handling Could Allow Remote Code Execution (943460):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms07-061.mspx

MS07-061 (KB943460) was released three (3) months ago on 13 Nov-07. (See
above page.)

MS07-061 does not apply to Windows 2000 SP4 nor is there a version of
MS07-061 that can be installed in Windows 2000 SP4. (See "Non-Affected
Software" section of above page.)

MS07-061 should be offered to machines running Windows 2003 SP1 and Windows
2003 SP2 (including x64- and Itantium-based). Note: This list does not
include Windows 2003 Gold. (See "Affected Software" section of above page.)

Are you stating that neither Microsoft Update (website) nor Automatic
Updates (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327838) offers MS07-061 to
these qualifying machines?