desktop icon order reversed

boatingnews

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00

How do I "un-reverse" the order of desktop icons. Always before, "My
Computer" was in the left-most column, with icons alphabetically arranged,
like

A D G
B E H
C F Z

Now they are arranged like

Z F C
H E B
G D A

with "My Computer" in the right-most column (where "A" is in the example)
(AutoArrange by Name is selected.)

Debra Earle

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00

Try UNchecking AutoArrange, then Arrange ... by Name.

-- DE
C_Tech
http://www.intranet-works.com [Law Office/Small Bus. Consulting]
垂 Please reply to newsgroup for the benefit of all 遙

BoatingNews

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
> Try UNchecking AutoArrange, then Arrange ... by Name.

Thanks, but I already tried this, a few times.

After unchecking autoarrange, clicking "Arrange by Name" does rearrange by
name, but backwards from usual! (with WSFTP first, in the upper left, and My
Computer last, in the lower right.)

I was using the computer when this happened, but don't remember checking
anything related to the order. Any other ideas?

Mr. Petrus

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
Just uncheck "auto arrange" and move them to where you would like them. Then
select "line up icons". Access both features by right clicking on desktop.

Debra Earle wrote:

> boatingnews wrote:
> >
> > How do I "un-reverse" the order of desktop icons. Always before, "My
> > Computer" was in the left-most column, with icons alphabetically arranged,
> > like
> >
> > A D G
> > B E H
> > C F Z
> >
> > Now they are arranged like
> >
> > Z F C
> > H E B
> > G D A
> >
> > with "My Computer" in the right-most column (where "A" is in the example)
> > (AutoArrange by Name is selected.)
>

> Try UNchecking AutoArrange, then Arrange ... by Name.

Debra Earle

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00
BoatingNews wrote:

> > Try UNchecking AutoArrange, then Arrange ... by Name.
>
> Thanks, but I already tried this, a few times.
>
> After unchecking autoarrange, clicking "Arrange by Name" does rearrange by
> name, but backwards from usual! (with WSFTP first, in the upper left, and My
> Computer last, in the lower right.)
>
> I was using the computer when this happened, but don't remember checking
> anything related to the order. Any other ideas?

The only feeble light I can shed is that the order on the desktop is the
same as the sort order when you do a directory command on the Desktop
folder; perhaps you ran a disk program that re-arranged the order?

Debra Earle

Nov 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/29/00

Oh, here, this looks very relevant even though focussed on Win98:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q177/4/82.ASP

BoatingNews

Nov 30, 2000, 1:17:46 AM11/30/00
That works as a fix. Thanks.

However, since the auto arrange feature always previously aligned
alphabetically from a - z, there must be a switch somewhere which I
accidentally tripped to make it go z - a all of a sudden.

--still looking--

"Mr. Petrus mr-petrus @home.com>" <"<remove all this> wrote in message

> Just uncheck "auto arrange" and move them to where you would like them.
Then
> select "line up icons". Access both features by right clicking on desktop.
>
> Debra Earle wrote:
>
> > boatingnews wrote:
> > >
> > > How do I "un-reverse" the order of desktop icons. Always before, "My
> > > Computer" was in the left-most column, with icons alphabetically
arranged,
> > > like
> > >
> > > A D G
> > > B E H
> > > C F Z
> > >
> > > Now they are arranged like
> > >
> > > Z F C
> > > H E B
> > > G D A
> > >
> > > with "My Computer" in the right-most column (where "A" is in the
example)
> > > (AutoArrange by Name is selected.)
> >

> > Try UNchecking AutoArrange, then Arrange ... by Name.

BoatingNews

Nov 30, 2000, 3:17:56 AM11/30/00
> The only feeble light I can shed is that the order on the desktop is the
> same as the sort order when you do a directory command on the Desktop
> folder; perhaps you ran a disk program that re-arranged the order?

Actually, you're quite right. I just looked at explorer and the folders are
at the bottom now until I hit the "Name"
I did install InoculateIT Personal Edition, and have been trying to get a
USR PCI modem working, but that's it as far as software changes wince the
"change" took place.

Thanks.

--why do glitches come in bunches?

Mr. Petrus

Nov 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/30/00

> Thanks.
>
> --why do glitches come in bunches?

Bananas, monkeys, Microsoft programmers,.................

rjwa...@my-deja.com

Dec 2, 2000, 12:15:25 AM12/2/00
A few different people have posted about the
mysterious backwards sorted desktop icons
problem. The problem causes the desktop icons to
be sorted in descending rather than ascending
order. I ran into this problem myself, searched
here and at Dejanews, and although many people
had posted on USENET asking help for this
problem, no solution had been posted. Even
Microsoft's knowledge base did not address this
problem.

Somehow or another, My Computer and Recycle Bin
got placed last on the Desktop rather than first
(in the upper left where they are supposed to
be). What caused this, I can't say, but I found
the solution.

The procedure to correct this problem requires
that TweakUI be installed into Control Panel.

Open up Explorer, and go to \Windows, and make a
new directory called New Desktop (or whatever
else you want to name it). Then go to
\Windows\Desktop, select all the files and
directories there, and copy them to the New
Desktop folder you just created. (Right click,
choose copy, then scroll to New Desktop, and
choose paste, because attempting to drag the
selected files will create shortcuts, not copy
files).

Verify that all the files and directories have
been copied (right click on \Windows\Desktop,
choose Properties, note how many files and
directories are present, then right click on
\Windows\New Desktop and do the same).

Then open Control Panel, call up TweakUI, go to
General, and change the Desktop folder to
\Windows\New Desktop. Either log off and back on
or reboot, and Presto! all the icons are back in
their proper places, with the sort order being
restored to ascending.

After this, move the \Windows\Desktop folder to
\Desktop or to some other drive, or change its
name or delete it. Then, create
\Windows\Desktop, and copy all the files and
directories from \Windows\New Desktop to the new
\Windows\Desktop directory, make sure all the
files got copied, use TweakUI to change the
desktop folder back to \Windows\Desktop and
restart or log off and on again.

Strange, but it worked. It doesn't seem to be a
registry problem, How it got caused, or why that
procedure repairs the problem, I don't have the
faintest clue.

In article <eMfhRtjWAHA.270@cppssbbsa05>,

"boatingnews" <use...@boatingnews.net> wrote:

> How do I "un-reverse" the order of desktop
icons. Always before, "My
> Computer" was in the left-most column, with
icons alphabetically arranged,
> like
>
> A D G
> B E H
> C F Z
>
> Now they are arranged like
>
> Z F C
> H E B
> G D A
>
> with "My Computer" in the right-most column
(where "A" is in the example)
> (AutoArrange by Name is selected.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.