WMP10 cant find a compatible mp3 encoder

Rudamin

Feb 10, 2006, 7:04:27 AM2/10/06
Okay, so I UNinstalled WMP10 because I was having some file assosiation
problems. Then I re-installed it, all of my file problems are fixed, but now
when I go to rip a cd into mp3 format, I get the following error message:
"Windows Media Player cannot rip the track because a compatible MP3 encoder
is not installed on your computer. Install a compatible MP3 encoder or choose
a different format to rip to (such as Windows Media Audio)." I checked into
the registry, and into my system32, and the encoder IS there. Any ideas on
what I need to do to fix this one? I appreciate any help.
-Rudamin

Gibson@discussions.microsoft.com Rob Gibson

Feb 10, 2006, 9:05:29 AM2/10/06

I have the same problem. My wmp10 started reporting no compatible mp3
encoder without me doing anything to it at all. I've since re-loaded it, but
it's still the same. I do have a lame encoder in "Audacity", but don't know
if I can copy this into wmp somehow.

Rob.

Rudamin

Feb 10, 2006, 9:34:27 AM2/10/06
Alright, I finally fixed my problem. I deleted Sonic, and then when through
my system registry, deleting any file that had the name "Sonic" in it. Then
I went and un-installed WMP10 again. Then I deleted the c:\program
files\windows media player folder. Finally, I deleted the folder in the
system registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\"MediaPlayer".
After that, I restarted, re-installed WMP10, and it all works fine now. I
hope this helps you in some way.
-Rudamin

mvgberg

Feb 10, 2006, 11:16:32 AM2/10/06
you might want to look at the post on 2/5/2006 titled 'can't rip to MP3 with
new dell but old dell'.

Rob Gibson

Feb 10, 2006, 1:50:27 PM2/10/06
mvgberg, thanks for that. Finally got to the bottom of it. Your link took me
to this:

Q: I am using WMP10 and cannot encode to MP3 (specifically MP3 at 128kbps).
Why do I get error 0xc00d0faa ("Windows Media Player cannot copy the
file...")?
A: The work-around is to go to WMP's Tools:Options:Rip Music menu and select
anything other than 128kbps in the drop-down.
The fix is to delete the registry value "LowrateSample" under the registry
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\Mp3Encoding .
If that value does not exist, then you'll want to make that the
"PreferredCodecPath" at that location is pointing to "l3codecp.acm". If both
of those check out, then you'll want to switch to a different bitrate.

I deleted the "sample" values, and all came good.

Thanks again.

Rob.