WMP 11, cannot add files to library

Anette

May 24, 2006, 12:04:02 PM5/24/06
Hi!

I'm using the WMP11, untill recently everything was great, but I switched
off my computer to move it, and now i cannot add files to my library.

It says: There are no items in the library yet - the player is searching for
digital media file in the background. Click here to add files to the library
now.

Ok, I've tried adding my musicfolders to the monitor folders section, but
when I click OK, they disappear again. And the player is not adding files
automatically.

I've tried reinstakling the player. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Sincerely

Anette

ashutten

May 24, 2006, 12:23:02 PM5/24/06
When you say you reinstalled wmp11, do you mean you uninstalled it then
installed it again or that you installed it over the existing installation.

The best process for a reinstall would be:

1. In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then
click Remove a program.
2. At the top of the list, select the Show updates check box.
3. In the Windows XP - Software Updates section, click Windows Media Player
11, and then click Change/Remove.
4. In each of the two confirmation dialog boxes that appear, click OK.
5. When the rollback process is complete (it might take several minutes to
complete), click Restart.
6. In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and then
click Remove a program.
7. At the top of the list, select the Show updates check box.
8. In the Windows XP - Software Updates section, click Windows Media Format
11 Runtime, and then click Change/Remove.
If you installed a non-US English version of Windows Media Player 11, the
instructions in the dialog boxes that are mentioned in steps 9, 10, and 11
might appear in English.
9. In the first confirmation dialog box that appears, click OK.
10. In the second confirmation dialog box that appears, select the Do you
want to continue with the rollback? check box, and then click OK.
11. When the rollback process is complete (it might take several minutes to
complete), click Restart.
12. In Category View of Control Panel, click Add or Remove Programs, and
then click Remove a program.
13. Click Microsoft User-Mode Driver Frameworks Feature Pack 1.0, and then
click Remove.
14. Follow the instructions that appear in the Software Update Removal Wizard.
15. Reboot, hit F8 to get the Advanced Windows Startup Options menu and
select Safemode with Networking
16. Login as Administrator, download a fresh copy of the installer and
install it (be sure to deny the Urge installation initially, it's best to
install it later by clicking on the Urge button inside wmp11)
17. Restart into Normal mode.

Feel free to give us a call and we'll be happy to troubleshoot with you.

Anette

May 24, 2006, 1:13:02 PM5/24/06
Thank you for the tip, but it didn't work... It still can't find my media
files..

zachd [MSFT]

May 24, 2006, 1:33:19 PM5/24/06

If you find and rename the file:
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media
Player\CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb
, that should reset your Media Library. If after this point you go back
into Media Player, is the library then able to add files and be functional?

-Zach
--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"Anette" <Ane...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anette

May 25, 2006, 8:03:01 AM5/25/06
Thanks! :) That worked perfectly!

wago

Jun 9, 2006, 4:37:01 PM6/9/06
I have the same problem. I added pictures and music and then deleted all of
the pictures. I received an error and WMP shut down. When I returned all my
media was gone and could not add media.

I located the file mentioned in this post but I can't rename it. Even with
everything shut down it tells me the file is in use. What should I be
renaming it to anyway?

HELP! I can't access my music.

wago

zachd [MSFT]

Jun 11, 2006, 3:30:00 AM6/11/06

There's tools to do the "rename locked / in-use files" trick - search on
your favorite search engine for them. That's a system issue that doesn't
have anything uniquely to do with WMP, so nobody here probably has extremely
good advice vs what you can search for. =)

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"wago" <wa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

wago

Jun 12, 2006, 12:29:02 AM6/12/06
Thanks. Renaming the file was easy enough in safe mode. The real issue is WMP
losing all my library info.

I'm back up and running but it was a tedious process.

wago

jkugler

Jun 23, 2006, 6:47:40 PM6/23/06
In my experience with this issue with media player 11 I navigated to
the following directory making sure windows media player was NOT
running, %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\
find the media player folder and righ click and delete it then open
windows media player it will recreate the folder and prompt you to add
folders to your library add your monitored folders and click "OK" then
watch it scan your folders and add your media then all is well and back
up and running again I am working on a tool to simplify the process
but deleting the whole folder is esaier than booting into safe mode and
renaming the database file MAKE SURE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER IS NOT
RUNNING OR THE FILES AND FOLDER WILL BE LOCKED BECAUSE IN USE BY THE
PROGRAM!!! also another issue i have that i cant quite figure out if
anyone knows a solution to this let me know when you want to remove a
file from your library the only option i get is to delete and remove it
to the recycle bin however i dont want to delete the file just want the
reference to it removed from the library if anyone knows how to do this
please let me know. Thanks in advance and hope this works for you...
Good day!

Wesley Hardman

Jun 23, 2006, 7:15:39 PM6/23/06
The option to delete the file as well as the library is in the option.
Tools > Options > Library > Delete Files from Computer

"jkugler" <jkugle...@gmail.com> wrote in message

goo...@geerdes.nl

Jun 29, 2006, 5:14:29 AM6/29/06
WMP 11.0.5358.4827

I have my MP3's on a network share, when I do a 'Add to Library' it
shows lots of files found, but files added 0. In options I have the
'add removable storage and network files' checked.

I renamed the CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb (size > 7Mb) , it creates a new
one, but the problem remains....

zachd [MSFT]

Jun 30, 2006, 12:03:54 PM6/30/06

If you copy some of them locally, do *those* get added?

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

Now Playing: "Praise You [Adrock and Mike D Remix]" by "Fatboy Slim" in
WMP11.
--

<goo...@geerdes.nl> wrote in message

jbcii55

Jul 4, 2006, 12:41:01 AM7/4/06
Hey there,

I have 4 HD's - all my music is located on Drive F: / my orignal OS on Drive
C: hold all the metadata - I installed Vista on drive I: and told WMP to add
all files on Drive F: ----- but the metadata doesnt come with it..... I have
over 150 live concerts that I manually added data and it shows when I boot
the old OS.....

Q: Can I transfer all the metadata to the Vista WMP 11? All the files are
still in the same exact place - thanks!!!

zachd [MSFT]

Jul 7, 2006, 4:09:02 AM7/7/06

What file formats are they? You can migrate your library to Vista as part
of an OS upgrade, but if you want the data to go across systems via disk
drive you either need to use the Vista Migration Wizard or you need to be
certain that the metadata is stored in the files.

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"jbcii55" <jbc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Réal

Jul 18, 2006, 6:28:26 PM7/18/06
I also have some MP3's and WMA's on a network share, when I do a 'Add
to Library' it showed lots of files found, but files added 0. I then
tried to add some local files without success. I followed all of the
instructtions to remove WMP and reinstalled it, I renamed the
CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb. A new one was created, but the problem
persists.

I can't imagine what to do next?????

Réal

zachd [MSFT]

Jul 18, 2006, 9:01:13 PM7/18/06

If they're local, do they get added to the library... ?

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"Réal" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Réal

Jul 19, 2006, 6:47:04 PM7/19/06

zachd [MSFT] wrote:
> If they're local, do they get added to the library... ?

No, they do not. Also, other profiles on my desktop are working fine. I
also copied the DB from anothe profile. That worked fine until I tried
adding to it. Adding also failed. If I removed entries from that copied
DB, they cannot be added again either. Also, I tried to add a new
playlist through right clicking the 'add to' then 'additional playlist'
I get the famous Error ID = 0xC00D11CD. It's almost as if I can delete
from the DB but not add anything.

Puzzeled

Réal

zachd [MSFT]

Jul 20, 2006, 11:54:40 AM7/20/06

Once you had reset the library, you were able to initially add content to
it, though?

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

"Réal" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Réal

Jul 20, 2006, 5:50:59 PM7/20/06

zachd [MSFT] wrote:
> Once you had reset the library, you were able to initially add content to
> it, though?

No, I have not been able to add content.

Réal

Réal

Jul 21, 2006, 7:00:06 AM7/21/06
Additional info:

I tried to do an 'add url' and an 'add file or playlis' and in each
case I got a C00D11CD: Unknown error.

Réal

zachd [MSFT]

Jul 21, 2006, 5:56:56 PM7/21/06

That indicates that the profile is corrupt in some fashion - without access
to the system, I couldn't tell you what that might be, but actual technical
support may be able to track that down.

--
Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)
"Réal" <cha...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

Réal

Jul 24, 2006, 4:49:58 PM7/24/06

zachd [MSFT] wrote:
> That indicates that the profile is corrupt in some fashion - without access
> to the system, I couldn't tell you what that might be, but actual technical
> support may be able to track that down.

After long consideration, I painfully recreated my profile with the use
of the USMT tool and much registry editing. All is well in Windows
Media land.

Réal

poloLoco

Aug 6, 2006, 3:22:01 PM8/6/06
I had the same problem... I added my library and then I couldnt see it. I
found the CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb as Zachd suggested, but instead of doing
anything with it, I noticed that I still had the CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb
(WMP10) and CurrentDatabase_59R.wmdb(WMP9) files. I just deleted those and
now I can see my library again. : )

Adddddddddd

Aug 15, 2006, 7:11:01 AM8/15/06
I had the same problem. I cried for approximately 3 and a half days. Then i
pulled myself together and tried all the different options in different
combinations from the add media menu. Alas this also didn't work. I cried for
another few days. Then miraculously i turned on my computer and everything
was back exactly the same as before! Have no idea why this should happen but
after grounding my computer for a week i think she's learnt her lesson and
hopefully she wont do it again.

Perch

Jan 2, 2007, 6:05:01 PM1/2/07
I tried the same, but did not help. It does not regenereate my 346 file. But
my problem seems also to be that when i add folders to be monitored, it
doesent seem to "stick". Next time I look into it , ll settings are gone.
Totally blank. Doesnt seem as if I have the right to write in the DB.
--
Perch-Sweden

Iceburgh69

May 21, 2007, 11:01:01 AM5/21/07
Ok. I tried to find the file, and have come up a dollar short, so to speak. I
can only find CurrentDatabase_59R, CurrentDatabase_219, and
CurrentDatabase_360. None of these seem to be the right ones. Also, I've
tried numerous rollbacks. It says that the rollback was successful, but no.
It's not. So when I go to rollback the runtime, it gives me the finger saying
that I have to uninstall WMP11 first, which I've done...repeatedly...five or
six times in a row...

Anyway, do I need to rename one of the existing files to
CurrentDatabase_346, or create something?

----------------------------------

G@discussions.microsoft.com Doug G

Jun 7, 2007, 1:05:04 AM6/7/07

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Zach

> how do I foind %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media
> Player\CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb ???

I tried searching my computer but came up empty I even tried searching for
any file with _346 and still nothing.

Thanks

Doug

Iceburgh69

Jun 7, 2007, 9:26:00 AM6/7/07
No. I've also tried deleting it. Is there something specific I should be
looking for or doing?

If you find and rename the file:%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application

Data\Microsoft\Media Player\CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb, that should reset your

zachd [MSFT]

Jun 15, 2007, 5:25:42 PM6/15/07

If you're in WMP11, you should not delete, you should only rename the Media
Player that contains the WMDB file. That picks up the cache files as well
that otherwise could persist corruption.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Iceburgh69" <Icebu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

zachd [MSFT]

Jun 15, 2007, 5:26:15 PM6/15/07

Look for files ending with ".wmdb".
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary
is meant to be one stop shopping for answers here. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Doug G" <Doug G...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Iceburgh69

Jun 15, 2007, 8:42:02 PM6/15/07
I've already tried that. I've tried deleting it. I've deleted all of the
CurrentDatabase files. Nothing. I'm almost ready to shoot my computer,
especially if I can't get some help. I've been told the same thing three
times now. And each time, I've said the same thing. I also can't uninstall
WMP. I'll have to try it again to tell you what it tells me, unless I've
already done that in a previous post.

Iceburgh69

Jun 15, 2007, 8:47:00 PM6/15/07
*Kicks browser.* Rename it to what, or does it matter? Because I never had
the file to begin with.

zachd [MSFT]

Jun 15, 2007, 9:01:00 PM6/15/07

You said you deleted all the CurrentDatabase files - that's the old way of
fixing this, and doesn't fully work. You should rename the directory where
you found those files to anything at all. Such as Media Player.BAK or
whatever suits your fancy.

--
Speaking for myself only.
"Iceburgh69" <Icebu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Iceburgh69

Jun 15, 2007, 9:16:00 PM6/15/07
Ok. That time it worked. I went to your website and found the info I needed.
Thank you. *Happy Snoopy dance.*

Lifechng

Jun 24, 2007, 1:27:00 PM6/24/07
Zach-
It's been a year or better, so I don't know if you even check this
anymore, but I too have a problem with my Media Player 11. I recently got a
Creative Zen V and have tried to get it to sync. While my PC with XP Home
"sees" it, WMP doesn't. And when I try to add files that are already in
iTunes, it only grabbed 80 out of 10k tunes. Where do I start? I tried to
find CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb but couldn't find it.
If you're there, thanks in advance for any help.
Lifechng

zachd [MSFT]

Jun 26, 2007, 4:35:45 PM6/26/07

http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary
points to the correct locations for all the library files I'm aware that you
would care about. =\

iTunes files can be locked for usage within that ecosystem - protected AAC
files, for example, won't really work outside of that.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Lifechng" <Life...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

MG

Sep 18, 2007, 12:22:01 PM9/18/07
I'm gonna try this rename fix, but you didn't answer the question "what
should I rename it to?"

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> There's tools to do the "rename locked / in-use files" trick - search on
> your favorite search engine for them. That's a system issue that doesn't
> have anything uniquely to do with WMP, so nobody here probably has extremely
> good advice vs what you can search for. =)

> --
> Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)
> --
>

> "wago" <wa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have the same problem. I added pictures and music and then deleted all of
> > the pictures. I received an error and WMP shut down. When I returned all
> > my
> > media was gone and could not add media.
> >
> > I located the file mentioned in this post but I can't rename it. Even with
> > everything shut down it tells me the file is in use. What should I be
> > renaming it to anyway?
> >
> > HELP! I can't access my music.
> >
> > wago
> >

> > "Anette" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks! :) That worked perfectly!

zachd [MSFT]

Sep 18, 2007, 5:28:34 PM9/18/07

It's irrelevant. Any other name works fine. "Test.bak" for example would
be a great choice. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"MG" <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Scott Micale

Sep 19, 2007, 9:18:31 AM9/19/07
I am having the exact same issue as the original poster. I have remove
WMP11 just as stated in the Windows KB article. I then re-installed and the
WMP11 worked for a few days like it was suppose to and now it is back to its
old tricks again. I am wondering if a Windows Update has caused this to not
function properly.

Any Ideas ZACHD?

"zachd [MSFT]" <za...@nomailplz.online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jess

Sep 19, 2007, 9:42:03 PM9/19/07
I've tried all of these fixes. I've renamed the file zachd specified and
tried to import my music but it didn't work. I've tried deleting the file
and it doesn't work. Some music gets imported but only a small fraction of
my library. I've checked zachd's website and followed the directions there
but nothing is working, I can't import my music into WMP11 library. Please
help!!

zachd [MSFT]

Sep 20, 2007, 12:03:33 AM9/20/07

Did you rename the WMDB file itself or did you rename the folder containing
the WMDB file? You need to do the latter. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"jess" <je...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

zachd [MSFT]

Sep 20, 2007, 12:03:06 AM9/20/07

I don't know what you mean by "back to its old tricks". If the library is
corrupt, you have to reset it.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Scott Micale" <hrm_...@news.postalias> wrote in message

Reily

Nov 13, 2007, 5:19:05 PM11/13/07
Goodness this is tricky-

Same problem and if anyone can help I would be grateful
I have re-installed as initially proposed. I have also deleted the file
CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb (managed to get round the 'in-use' issue by
terminating "wmpnetwk.exe" first)
Still didn't work- Ended up deleting all the files in the folder

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\MediaPlayer

-Still doesn't work and on restarting WMP it does NOT create a new
CurrentDatabase!

Something else which I noted related to the "wmpnetwk.exe" that it keeps
popping up and asking me to share my media. I remember accepting this way
back just before the problem started- I though someone was sharing with me
and had deleted all my files!

Many anticipated thanks

Henry

zachd [MSFT]

Nov 15, 2007, 4:21:17 AM11/15/07

Stop deleting the files. Who said to do that? Rename the containing folder
instead. That's the only good way to achieve the effect you're asking for
in WMP11. =\

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Reily" <Re...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Reily

Nov 16, 2007, 4:01:01 AM11/16/07
The Containing folder as in 'Media Player' folder under Local
Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player?

P.s. Read to delete it all in WMP help somewhere! hope it will be alright.

zachd [MSFT]

Nov 16, 2007, 4:50:54 AM11/16/07

Exactly.

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Reily" <Re...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Alaskaonline

Dec 24, 2007, 9:48:00 PM12/24/07
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling WMP 11, I have tried renaming the
the media player file in Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media
Player
and when i search my computer for wmdb files it says there are none.
If i delete the files in the media player file (AND I UNDERSTAND THAT DOES
NOT ENTIRELY WORK)then restart WMP 11 then try
to add files it finds 300 and adds 12, then i look at recently added files in
WMP and it says there are none. Anybody have any other ideas i have not heard
of yet ??

zachd [MSFT]

Dec 25, 2007, 5:41:06 AM12/25/07

You cannot rename the file by itself in WMP11. You have to rename the
folder that contains that WMDB file.

Did you try that?

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Alaskaonline" <Alaska...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

cybreyor

Feb 9, 2009, 11:03:56 PM2/9/09

I had a similar problem on Vista and these steps resolved it for me.

Cleaned out all the Media player folders in
\users\%username%\Appdata\local folder. Opened up media player and
changed my rip folder to point to my network drive. This worked for me.
If your still having problems, I would uninstall it from Add/Remove.
Then delete all Media player folders, as well as registry entries. (Only
touch the Registry if you know which ones to delete)

--
cybreyor
cybreyor's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/cybreyor.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

zachd [MSFT]

Feb 10, 2009, 1:09:56 AM2/10/09

Deleting all Media Player folders and registry entries will do
non-repairable damage. Do not do that: that is very bad advice. =\

(You would at that point need to actually reinstall Windows Vista itself to
undo the damage.)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"cybreyor" <cybreyo...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

@discussions.microsoft.com Jillian

Jun 28, 2009, 12:52:01 AM6/28/09
, Hello, I'm not very techy, and I cannot add files to my music library. I
have ripped some music which appear as files which I can play, but cannot
get them into my library, someone said that they need extensions and they
don't!
I hope to get them into my library as I wanted to add my own music to my
movie maker, don't know if I'm making sense

"Réal" wrote:

> I also have some MP3's and WMA's on a network share, when I do a 'Add
> to Library' it showed lots of files found, but files added 0. I then
> tried to add some local files without success. I followed all of the
> instructtions to remove WMP and reinstalled it, I renamed the
> CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb. A new one was created, but the problem
> persists.
>
> I can't imagine what to do next?????
>
> Réal

zachd [MSFT]

Jul 11, 2009, 3:32:12 AM7/11/09

What extensions are they?
You don't need them in WMP's lirbary to add to movies in Movie Maker. =)

--
Speaking for myself only.

"Jillian" <Jillian @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>, Hello, I'm not very techy, and I cannot add files to my music library. I
> have ripped some music which appear as files which I can play, but cannot
> get them into my library, someone said that they need extensions and they
> don't!
> I hope to get them into my library as I wanted to add my own music to my
> movie maker, don't know if I'm making sense
>

> "R�al" wrote:
>
>> I also have some MP3's and WMA's on a network share, when I do a 'Add
>> to Library' it showed lots of files found, but files added 0. I then
>> tried to add some local files without success. I followed all of the
>> instructtions to remove WMP and reinstalled it, I renamed the
>> CurrentDatabase_219.wmdb. A new one was created, but the problem
>> persists.
>>
>> I can't imagine what to do next?????
>>

>> R�al

daq69

Sep 25, 2009, 1:41:01 PM9/25/09
Thank you! Thank you! God bless you, zachd! Thank you again!

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> If you find and rename the file:
> %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media
> Player\CurrentDatabase_346.wmdb
> , that should reset your Media Library. If after this point you go back
> into Media Player, is the library then able to add files and be functional?
>
> -Zach
> --
> Windows Media Development Team (speaking for myself only)

paperbacklucy

Nov 25, 2009, 12:32:01 AM11/25/09
Hello!
Well, I feel kind of silly since I'm assuming this file is easy to find
since others seem to have no problems with it, but where do you locate this
file that you have to change the name?

Thanks :)

Tim De Baets

Nov 26, 2009, 11:39:18 AM11/26/09
If you need to rebuild the library, then the suggested way to do this
would be by following the instructions at
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#medialibrary

Regards

--
Tim De Baets
http://www.bm-productions.tk

NOT ADD FILES TO MEDIA PLAYER 11@discussions.microsoft.com CAN NOT ADD FILES TO MEDIA PLAYER 11

Jan 23, 2010, 4:04:01 PM1/23/10
I can't load any files to my library in media player 11, can anyone help?
When I select the folder to add, nothing happens.

Any help is appreciated....

Tim De Baets

Jan 24, 2010, 8:13:09 AM1/24/10
This can probably be fixed by rebuilding the library. Follow the
instructions specific for your WMP and Windows version at