How to have a "clean desktop" (without .lnk icon) on WindowsCe 5.0 Image

Roberto

Jul 25, 2007, 11:07:24 AM7/25/07
I have built an image (wince 5) and add in catalog all the viewer
(pdf, word, etc..).
When i boot i have on desktop all the shortcuts to these programs and
other 2 icons (recycle bin and device).

How can i make an image WITHOUT this link/icons?
I want to boot with a clean desktop.

I have not found anything in docs that explain if it possible.

Thanks all.

nucca

Jul 25, 2007, 11:10:01 PM7/25/07

You could try these ways to build a clean desktop.

a. remove the shortcuts on the desktop
In general, the shortcuts are located at LOC_PATH_DESKTOP (ex:
\windows\desktop). For cleaning them, you could reassign the desktop folder
or remove all files/folders under desktop folder.

(choose one)
- reassign the desktop folder
You could redefine the LOC_PATH_DESKTOP or reassign desktop folder in
common.reg.
ex:
; common.reg
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Explorer\Shell Folders]
"Desktop"=LOC_PATH_MYDESKTOP ; reassign it to a new desktop folder

- remove all links
You could also search the DAT files and remove the lines that locate
files/folders under desktop folder
ex:
; Directory("\Windows\LOC_DESKTOP_DIR"):-File("Media Player.lnk",
"\Windows\ceplayer.lnk") ; remove this line

b. remove recycle bin and my device
Please refer to this link for removing "recycle bin and" "my device"
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded/browse_thread/thread/f3a9ec27a59c951a/

nucca

Roberto

Jul 26, 2007, 2:52:09 AM7/26/07
On 26 Lug, 05:10, nucca <nu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You could try these ways to build a clean desktop.
>
> a. remove the shortcuts on the desktop
> In general, the shortcuts are located at LOC_PATH_DESKTOP (ex:
> \windows\desktop). For cleaning them, you could reassign the desktop folder
> or remove all files/folders under desktop folder.
>
> (choose one)
> - reassign the desktop folder
> You could redefine the LOC_PATH_DESKTOP or reassign desktop folder in
> common.reg.
> ex:
> ; common.reg
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Explorer\Shell Folders]
> "Desktop"=LOC_PATH_MYDESKTOP ; reassign it to a new desktop folder
>
> - remove all links
> You could also search the DAT files and remove the lines that locate
> files/folders under desktop folder
> ex:
> ; Directory("\Windows\LOC_DESKTOP_DIR"):-File("Media Player.lnk",
> "\Windows\ceplayer.lnk") ; remove this line
>
> b. remove recycle bin and my device
> Please refer to this link for removing "recycle bin and" "my device"http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded/br...

> nucca
>

> "Roberto" wrote:
> > I have built an image (wince 5) and add in catalog all the viewer
> > (pdf, word, etc..).
> > When i boot i have on desktop all the shortcuts to these programs and
> > other 2 icons (recycle bin and device).
>
> > How can i make an image WITHOUT this link/icons?
> > I want to boot with a clean desktop.
>
> > I have not found anything in docs that explain if it possible.
>
> > Thanks all.- Nascondi testo tra virgolette -
>
> - Mostra testo tra virgolette -

Thanks a lot. I will try your suggestion!

Bruce Eitman [eMVP]

Jul 26, 2007, 8:27:22 AM7/26/07
Don't make changes to common.reg, that is unnecessary and ill advised.
Instead make the changes in your platform.reg or project.reg.

you can remove a key that was added by one of the public reg files by
[-keyname]
you can remove a value that was added by one of the public reg files by
value=-

Sadly you may need to edit the public .dat files, but instead of removeing,
you should add an environment variable that will allow you to exclude the
lines.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
An ISO 9001:2000 Registered Company
Microsoft WEP Gold-level Member

"Roberto" <roby.s...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Michel Verhagen (eMVP)

Jul 26, 2007, 7:37:13 PM7/26/07
And even that is ill-advised Bruce ;)

To delete lines out of .dat files without modifying public code I
created the following batch file:

PostFmergeObj.bat:
-- Cut here --------------------------------------------
REM This batch file filters the DAT files
REM CE merges all DAT files into initobj.tmp
REM and then transforms initobj.tmp into a
REM UNICODE version initobj.dat.
REM Just before the conversion to unicode
REM the build system calls PostFmergeObj.bat
REM (this file). We filter out all the
REM strings defined in PostFmergeObj.txt
REM from initobj.tmp

@echo off
echo PostFmergeObj.bat entry.
pushd %_FLATRELEASEDIR%
del initobj.org
ren initobj.tmp initobj.org
findstr /i /v /g:PostFmergeObj.txt initobj.org > initobj.tmp
popd
echo PostFmergeObj.bat exit.
@echo on
-- Cut here --------------------------------------------

This PostFmergeObj batch file uses a text file PostFmergeObj.txt which
contains the exact lines you want to delete out of the dat files. For
instance:

-- Cut here --------------------------------------------
root:-Directory("Program Files")
root:-Directory("My Documents")
Directory("\Program Files"):-File("Command Prompt.lnk","\Windows\cmd.lnk")
-- Cut here --------------------------------------------

Just create the PostFmergeObj.bat and PostFmergeObj.txt files in your
\WINCE500\PLATFORM\<BSP>\FILES folder and it all works automatically.

Cool eh?! Don't you just love the CE build system?! (...ahum...)

Regards,

Michel Verhagen, eMVP
EmbeddedFusion
www.EmbeddedFusion.com
mverhagen at embeddedfusion dot com

Bruce Eitman [eMVP]

Jul 27, 2007, 8:24:51 AM7/27/07
Doh, didn't think about that. But then, I haven't needed to actually do it
so I never put too much time thinking about it.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer
beitman AT applieddata DOT net

Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
An ISO 9001:2000 Registered Company
Microsoft WEP Gold-level Member

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" <mver...@nospam.embeddedfusion.com> wrote in
message news:O9wtm39z...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

Dean Ramsier

Jul 27, 2007, 8:52:36 AM7/27/07
Very nice :)

--
Dean Ramsier - eMVP
BSQUARE Corporation

"Michel Verhagen (eMVP)" <mver...@nospam.embeddedfusion.com> wrote in
message news:O9wtm39z...@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Jul 27, 2007, 11:46:40 AM7/27/07
I agree!

Paul T.

"Dean Ramsier" <ramsie...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Dan McCarty

Jul 27, 2007, 12:27:47 PM7/27/07
On Jul 26, 6:37 pm, "Michel Verhagen (eMVP)"

That's a very nice tip. I'm going to file it away for future use.

Also, I've found that a very flexible way to do stuff like this is to
put a link in \windows\startup to an autoexec.bat somewhere on the
filesystem that will get called at every boot.

It then becomes trivial to modify the batch file that's included in
the build, or modify it on the fly, and you could do something like
delete the desktop icons very easily.

-Dan.