Vista spooler problem

wyocowboy

Nov 15, 2007, 4:45:04 PM11/15/07
A customer brought their Lenovo laptop w/VHP installed because her HPOJ 7110
printer had disappeared. Thinking that she needed to do so, she clicked the
Add Printer button and got "Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print
spooler service is not running."

The spooler can then be restarted, and clicking the Add Printer button gets
"Windows can't open Add Printer. Operation could not be completed (error
0x000006be)

The event log event ID 1033 associated with this error says "the print
spooler cannot start because the PrinterBusEnumerator could not start. Error
code 0x80070006. This can occur because of system instability or a lack of
resources."

Since she installed the printer herself and she isn't particularly computer
savvy, I suspect that she might have installed XP drivers, although the
printer had been working ok for a while. I haven't tried downloading and
installing the HP OJ7110 Vista drivers yet, as I suspect that they won't
install.

I tried the steps listed here ...

... to no avail.

Anybody seen this/have a fix?

Kevin M

Nov 28, 2007, 9:20:01 AM11/28/07
Have seen this many times with the HP drivers, normally the second install
after re-starting the service tends to work without issue. I also have
installed the latest updates for performance and reliability from the MS
download site, KB941649, one of the two updates deals with spooler errors.

wyocowboy

Nov 28, 2007, 12:15:01 PM11/28/07
In this case, she did not load any HP software onto the machine - she merely
connected the printer and Vista used its own driver. I presume that this is
still HP software, bundled with Vista as a legacy driver. However, neither MS
or HP would own up to it being their problem. HP does not offer a
downloadable driver for this printer.

The other symptom was that an event in the event log indicated that the
printer spooler failed because the printerBusEnumerator failed to start.

Since there was no other solution forthcoming (Vista's system restore could
not regress the system), we did a wipe and resinstall after backing up her
data. This is the third time Vista has had to be reinstalled on this laptop
since July due to various problems. Needless to say, she is regretting buying
a machine with Vista.

jimjam...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2007, 5:08:37 AM12/27/07
On Nov 28, 5:15 pm, wyocowboy <wyocow...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> > > Anybody seen this/have a fix?- Hide quoted text -

Sorry to be a pain, this error just happened to me but I've managed to
fix it - do you still need the instructions?

huwyngr

Dec 27, 2007, 5:57:20 PM12/27/07
In article
<a41191c2-57c0-460d...@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>,
wrote:

> Sorry to be a pain, this error just happened to me but I've managed to
> fix it -  do you still need the instructions?

It could help someone else, so please say how you fixed it.

BJinMN

Dec 29, 2007, 6:06:00 PM12/29/07
I am also having this problem. I've removed all traces of printer drivers
from my registry, but still get an error trying to open "Add Printers" with
the print spooler stopping.

Trying to install an HP OfficeJet printer on a computer recently upgraded to
Vista Home Premium from XP.

Thanks,
Brian

BN

Dec 29, 2007, 6:08:02 PM12/29/07
I have this problem with Vista Ultimate after I upgraded from XP Pro. Can't
add local or network printer. Please let me know how you fixed it. Thanks -BN

huwyngr

Dec 29, 2007, 9:38:12 PM12/29/07
Let's hope that jimjam publishes his solution.

Magda

Jan 4, 2008, 8:55:00 AM1/4/08
Yes, please publish the solution. It seems like it is an epidemy...

head...@embarqmail.com

Jan 15, 2008, 11:34:58 AM1/15/08

> > Sorry to be a pain, this error just happened to me but I've managed to
> > fix it -  do you still need the instructions?- Hide quoted text -

try this link...

has been 90% successful

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Jan 29, 2008, 11:00:02 PM1/29/08
Here's the KB about the HP driver access violation

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946394/en-us
Error message when you try to connect to a print queue in Windows Vista or
in Windows Server 2008: "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Operation

could not be completed (error 0x000006be)"

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Magda" <Ma...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jimjam...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2008, 10:01:24 AM2/6/08
I've found this problem was caused by a registry issue concerning the
PrinterBusEnumerator entry in the System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\UMB
\UMB\1&841921d&0&PrinterBusEnemerator.

Either this entry is corrupt or missing or the required drivers are
not installed. As this is not a plug and play device the drivers are
not installed on a restart or through device manager by clicking
update hardware.

To correct this issue:

Start, [RIGHT CLICK] Computer, Properties, Device Manager
[CONTINUE],

From Menu bar, choose VIEW, Show Hidden devices.Then Devices by
connection.
Scroll to System Devices, and then UMBus Enumerator. Check that there
are two others. Do not delete.

If there are three:

Right click on the bottom one. Choose properties. Under details tab
choose under the property combo box DEVICE CLASS GUID.
Confirm GUID matches that under the DRIVER entry in the registry as
above.
Right click and uninstall (you will reinstall in a second)

If the GUID does not match, choose the other two until you find the
correct one.

Choose ACTION, ADD LEGACY HARDWARE
Choose NEXT
Choose INSTALL THE HARDWARE THAT I MANUALLY SELECT.. (ADVANCED)
Choose SYSTEM DEVICES, then MICROSOFT and UMBUS Enumerator

Restart, a system install will begin on restart of various associated
drivers.
When complete, restart again and check service is running.

Help this helps,

jimjamsellis

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Feb 6, 2008, 3:48:25 PM2/6/08
Thanks for the information on this. Was the Web Service stuff installed on
an XP machine that was upgraded?

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

<jimjam...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Paul

Feb 19, 2008, 3:56:28 AM2/19/08

> If the GUID does not match, choose the other two until you find the
> correct one.

I found the GUIDs were the same for all three entries under UMB\UMB.
Instead I looked at the "Device instance path" to determine which one
was the correct one.