Vista Wireless Network Lag/Spikes

yee

Jun 21, 2007, 12:25:01 PM6/21/07
www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101910

So basically, I get random spikes and lag every 30 to 60 seconds (sometimes
even less) on a wireless connection in Vista.

Does anyone know how to fix it? Online gaming is almost impossible,
especially in WC3 (apparently it's a lag-fest when I host)

Apparently, Windows looks for a new access point every 30-60 seconds, thus
giving me the lag/spikes.

I got up to turning off WLAN AutoConfig in the above link, but couldn't find
where to manually input my SSID.

Cheers

P.S. I also tried Vista Anti-Lag, but it doesn't work on my computer.
P.S.S. This is similiar to the Windows Zero Config problem on XP, except you
could turn it off.

yee

Jun 21, 2007, 12:31:02 PM6/21/07
Sorry, forgot to mention my router and wireless card.

Wireless card = Linksys WMP54G w/ latest Vista drivers from Linksys
Router = Linksys WRT54G w/ DD-WRT v23 SP2

Mac

Jun 21, 2007, 1:04:34 PM6/21/07
Just a thought - have you tried disabling the "connect to a more preferred
network if available" option in the wireless connection properties?

"yee" <y...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

yee

Jun 21, 2007, 2:04:01 PM6/21/07
Sorry, incase my last post was misleading, I meant thanks for the suggestion,
but that didn't solve my problem.

"yee" wrote:

> Yup, tried that, thanks.

Whitney

Jun 21, 2007, 9:24:00 PM6/21/07
Nice to see that I am not alone. I have the EXACT same router and I have this
same problem with gaming, except mine is with World of Warcraft, not WC3 and
my Internet fully disconnects frequently.

I would like to see a few replies to this as well!

yee

Jun 21, 2007, 11:33:01 PM6/21/07
I just spent a few hours Googling and I came up with the following info.

- The problem doesn't have to necessarily mean its because of the hardware
- Anything involving the internet is affected during the second or two of
spiking (it's just more noticabling during an online game)
- When it spikes, Windows is looking for new and better access points
- Turning off WLAN AutoConfig will make your wireless internet unaccessible
- On XP, it was the Windows Zero Config that would cause spiking, but
apparently it is embedded in WLAN AutoConfig on Vista
- Some people disconnect fully when spiking occurs
- A third-party wireless network monitor may solve the problem (I don't
think there are currently any)
- Microsoft sees this issue as "feature"

lee...@gmail.com

Jun 23, 2007, 6:07:26 PM6/23/07
I'm having the same problem in WoW as well as any other online game
that i play. Never happened in XP after i turned off WZC. that became
a no brainer after SP2 Came out. So far there is no way to fix it,
until Microsoft deems it a bug. I will keep on coming back here for
more hopefully some 3rd party software comes out to take over the WLAN
AutoConfig service.

PhurBos

Sep 8, 2007, 12:14:52 PM9/8/07

I have tried both Vista Anti-Lag and WLANOptimizer, they both don't work
for me, maybe its because of the make of my wireless card?

Also after alot of browsing I found this:
'WlanSetInterface (Windows)'
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms706791.aspx)
I'm not a programmer so I wouldnt know what to do with it, and also not
even sure if this is what's causing the 60sec lag spike.

Otherwise, still no working fix for this problem? =(

--
PhurBos

lewi...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2007, 4:11:31 PM9/10/07
Vista Anti-Lag works for me i am using Vista Ultimate x86 my WLAN card
is a Linksys 54G w/ Speedbooster

Kyle

Sep 12, 2007, 7:38:00 PM9/12/07
I really wish this issue would be addressed because it's totally unbearable
trying to play games when u freeze up for 2-3 seconds every minute because of
this WLAN AutoConfig thing in Vista trying to find a new network every 60
seconds. In XP you could turn off the Wireless Zero Configuration and still
connect manually to the Internet, but with Vista when you turn off the WLAN
AutoConfig I cant figure out how to connect to the Internet. And like
several others here, Vista Anti-Lag and WLANOptimizer did not work for me
either. Can someone please figure out how to solve this problem???

stefan_v

Sep 24, 2007, 5:34:01 PM9/24/07
Same here - Only thing that REALLY makes me regret buying Vista :(

Same problems as the above posters - every 60 seconds i get a spike of
~12-2500 ms. Tested it by doing a Ping to my router (ping 192.168.1.1 /t)
while not connected to the Internet and while connected. Tested the same way
on a dual-boot Windows XP Professional (DK) with no problems.

I have also tried WLAN Optimizer and Vista Anti-Lag, but those does not work
on my setup.

Sandberg Wireless NIC (Ralink chipset).
LinkSys WRT54GL Router.
Windows Vista Home Premium.

Internet gaming is pretty much impossible with this bug.

*** If you have the same problem, please write a reply to bump this message
to where someone is actually listening, thank you. ***

PhurBos

Sep 25, 2007, 1:00:55 PM9/25/07

stefan_v;462044 Wrote:
> Same here - Only thing that REALLY makes me regret buying Vista :(
>
> Same problems as the above posters - every 60 seconds i get a spike of
> ~12-2500 ms. Tested it by doing a Ping to my router (ping 192.168.1.1
> /t)
> while not connected to the Internet and while connected. Tested the
> same way
> on a dual-boot Windows XP Professional (DK) with no problems.
>
> I have also tried WLAN Optimizer and Vista Anti-Lag, but those does not
> work
> on my setup.
>
> Sandberg Wireless NIC (Ralink chipset).
> LinkSys WRT54GL Router.
> Windows Vista Home Premium.
>
> Internet gaming is pretty much impossible with this bug.

Yes... I feel your pain... I had no other choice but to give up gaming
:cry: and for some weird reason, xp wont work on my pc :cry::cry::cry:

--
PhurBos

Beau

Sep 29, 2007, 1:35:01 AM9/29/07
I to have had problems with any online game with the same lag and getting
disconnected problem such as WoW W3 and others. Im glad to know im not the
only one.

Ty

Oct 13, 2007, 8:41:00 PM10/13/07
I've been wrestling this problem for a while now, and after a hefty amount of
research on various messageboards, found a solution that sounded like a real
pain to implement but ended up working for me.

I'd tried WLANOptimizer, Vista Anti-Lag, and the netsh scripts that disable
autoconfig to no avail. Then I read on one messageboard that someone was
able to get Vista Anti-Lag working by installing the XP drivers in Vista.

I steeled myself and decided to give it a shot. I have the exact same
configuration as the OP (a WMP54G Wireless-G card and a WRT54G router, but
I'm using the newest Linksys F/W as opposed to WW-DRT). I went ahead and
uninstalled the device in Device Manager, checking the box to delete the
driver files. At the time I didn't realize that I still had the previous
drivers in C:/Program Files/Linksys Drivers so it kept reinstalling and I had
to delete those drivers as well. Then I unzipped the WMP54Gv4.1_20051117
driver package to that same directory and ran Setup.exe in Windows XP
(Service Pack 2) compatibility mode, although I'm not certain that's
necessary.

The installation went off without a hitch and I reconnected to my wireless
network and pinged the router with the -t flag. Hmm. Well, just as before,
every minute there was one in the 1200ms-1500ms range.

So, I ran Vista Anti-Lag again, verified it detected the Wireless-G adapter
and clicked the "activate VAL" button.

ping 192.168.2.1 -t

1ms, 2ms, 1ms, 4ms. . .wait for it. Hold on a sec. Where are the spikes?

Well, it appears to have worked. I've been watching that cmd window for
probably five or six minutes now and haven't seen a single spike. I'll crank
up some online games here in a bit and see if it helps with the
lag/freezes/disconnects I've been having.

So, if you're having this same problem, go ahead and install XP drivers and
give Vista Anti-Lag another try. Wasn't as painful as I thought it'd be.

Quest

Oct 20, 2007, 9:57:01 PM10/20/07

@Ty

I'm also using a WMP54G. I tried your method but couldn't get the XP
drivers to install. Are you using a x86 version of Vista?

From what I've seen VAL and WLAN Optimizer don't seem to work with the
x64 versions of Vista.

--
Quest

Ty

Oct 21, 2007, 10:05:01 PM10/21/07
Quest,

I actually am using an x86 version of Vista, and like I said I had no luck
with either VAL or WLAN Optimizer before installing the XP drivers for the
WMP54G. However, the VAL page at codecase.de seems to indicate VAL works for
both x84 and x64 versions of Vista.

It doesn't appear that Linksys provides 64-bit drivers for the WMP54G, and
my conclusion has been that neither the VAL or WLAN Optimizer solutions will
work with the current Vista drivers.

You might want to take a look at the following thread at Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/235009-45-linksys-wmp54g-drivers

It appears someone else was looking for XP Pro x64 drivers for our card, and
was directed toward the ralink drivers. I don't know if the driver in the
link will install for you, but it might be worth taking a look into.

Hope you get it working.

thisisthebesti...@gmail.com

Oct 27, 2007, 7:26:48 PM10/27/07
I installed the latest ralink drivers and to my surprise they came
with a 3rd party network application which was compatible with Vista.
Previously I had tried other solutions but none of them had worked
until this one. I set tx power to 100% so not sure if it was just the
drivers or/ drivers and 100% tx power. My regular lag spikes have now
gone! I got the RT61 drivers by the way, not sure if it comes with all
of them

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Windows.html

Kenny536

Jan 1, 2009, 6:13:12 PM1/1/09

Please help - I have the 60 second lag spike problem. I use windows
vista 64 bit Business. I have a WRT54GL

I do not get any error code - the error I get when trying to install
any of the Ralink Drivers is this :

Windows was unable to install your network controller

Windows could not find driver software for your device

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website
and check the support section for driver software.

The Ralink Wire Lan Card Utility/Status is just a big black X... the
Ralink utility/status ONLY works when I install the Linksys driver from
my cd that came with my Linksys adapter. That is the only driver I can
get it to recognize and thus the only driver I can access the internet
with, for this adapter at least.

--
Kenny536

Kenny536

Jan 2, 2009, 11:58:20 PM1/2/09

I fixed it!!! Not exactly sure how - but the important thing is that it
is fixed :}. My little brother has been gaming for hours without a lag
spike!

I did several things - I'm not sure what fixed it - here is what I did
:

1. Installed 3rd party firmware on my router (Tomato).
2. Enabled Frame Burst and AutoBurner in the Tomato settings.
3. Replaced my Linksys adapter with a SpeedBooster adapter (same
adapter, just with speedbooster).

That's it. No Ralink drivers, no anti-lag software, or anything, just
used the drivers from the linksys CD. I don't know what it was, it says
on the box speedboster only works with XP and 2000.. but I heard people
saying they utilized their non-speedbooster router to work with their
speedbooster adapter via 3rd party firmware. Maybe that's what I did (I
know afterburner enables speedbooster). But I don't see how that would
fix it anyway.. whatever, who cares! I'm getting excellent/very good
signal with great latency!

Thanks for the help.

--
Kenny536

officermartinez

Jan 4, 2009, 6:23:02 PM1/4/09

Congrats.. I recently wrote a small tutorial on how to fix this exact
"problem". You can view it here: '[H]ard|Forum - View Single Post -
Vista + Wireless + 60 sec lag spikes = SOLVED'
(http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1033529723&postcount=1)

--
officermartinez

Borges

Feb 17, 2009, 10:26:01 PM2/17/09

TY'S FIX _WORKS!_ Wow. I read your fix ty, and i attempted to unzip
those drivers into a seperate folder (not sure if i did it right) and i
ran setup compatible for XP SP2. Activated VAL, and holy shh, no spikes.
I honestly think it's just running the setup in xp for the drivers.
YOU'RE THE MAN!

-People with this problem try either #1 running the disc setup in XP
compatibility, THEN using the antilag, or #2, do that, but after
unzipping the 4.1 drivers into the saved directory. It works.

--
Borges

koziol5

Mar 26, 2009, 7:07:34 PM3/26/09

I had this same problem, and what i did to fix it was download the old
xp drivers, delete my vista drivers, install the xp drivers, and then
the WLAN optimizer worked.

--
koziol5
koziol5's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/85438.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

tommyf

Mar 31, 2009, 2:11:03 PM3/31/09

I'm glad I found this topic as it describes exactly the kind of problems
I am having with my wireless connection. However, I cant seem to find a
solution that works for my hardware configuration, so I registered to
see if anyone of you can help.

I have a Zepto 6224W laptop with a built-in wireless card based on the
Ralink RT2860 chipset. The OS is Vista Home Premium 64bit. Ive noticed
lag spikes in most of the games I play, but it wasn't really unplayable
until I tried Battlefield 2. I've tried almost any solution mentioned in
this and other forum threads across the net, including switching off
WLAN Autoconfig (disables my network conenction altogether :/ ), WLAN
optimization, VAL, settings tweaking and what-not. The only thing I can
think of is using XP drivers, which seemed to work for people with cards
of different brand, but since Ralink so neatly packages both Vista and
XP drivers together in an executable, I don't see a way to get to the XP
ones.

I've run out of ideas now, can anyone help me?

/Tommy

--
tommyf

tommyf

Mar 31, 2009, 4:10:04 PM3/31/09

UPDATE:

I think I solved the problem, for me at least.

Confirmed that old XP drivers solves the issue, for people with Ralink
chipsets too. I managed to find an old XP driver on my computer
manufacturer's ftp. I ran the ping test after installing them and
starting Vista Anti-Lag, and I had 0% package loss, compared to 3% with
the old drivers.

Now the only question is how many issues I am gonna get from running
old XP drivers on a Vista machine... Plenty I bet

--
tommyf

brianm

Jun 14, 2009, 8:30:29 PM6/14/09

Alright...this has been giving me issues for weeks. I never really
noticed it until i started playing cod4...but now that i have noticed it
it is terribly frustrating. I would love to try the xp drivers and
such...but i am not very savy in that area of computers. Could someone
please spell it out step by step how to uninstall vista drivers and
install xp ones...and possibly a link for the drivers. thanks.

--
brianm
brianm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/105834.htm