Re: Event ID 2017 and 2021

Kerry Brown

Mar 6, 2009, 10:22:30 AM3/6/09
Non-paged pool problems are sometimes caused by AV software. What AV are you
running?

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Bisk" <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 with SP1 and I'm having an issue with file
> sharing. If I try to copy files from an XP machine to the Vista machine,
> the
> System log on the Vista PC fills up with 2017 (The server was unable to
> allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the server reached the
> configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations) and 2021 and I get an
> error
> on the XP machine about there not being enough memory to fullfill the
> request. I have tried a couple of registry entries, like disabling SMB2
> and
> setting MaxMpxCt to 255; neither of which have resolved the issue. I'm
> still
> able to browse the network from the Vista machine, so it looks like it's
> only
> incoming connections into the Vista machine that are the problem. Anyone
> have any suggestions?

Bisk

Mar 6, 2009, 10:33:01 AM3/6/09
I'm not running any AV software. This is a fresh install of the OS; I've
installed twice with the same result.

Kerry Brown

Mar 6, 2009, 10:46:17 AM3/6/09
In Task Manager - View => Select Columns => Memory - Non-paged Pool

Take a look at what is using the most memory. I'd suspect something to do
with the NIC driver but that's just a guess.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

"Bisk" <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bisk

Mar 6, 2009, 11:13:01 AM3/6/09
I had a look at vmware-vmx.exe is using 175K, svchost.exe is using 80K and
then there are some others under 50K.

Kerry Brown

Mar 6, 2009, 2:52:47 PM3/6/09
What are the high users of the paged pool?

--

> I guess I should have mentioned that I'm running VMWare Server 2.0 on the
> box
> as well...

Kerry Brown

Mar 6, 2009, 6:59:09 PM3/6/09
How much memory is allocated to the vm's? Do you have the same problem if
you shut down some or all of the vm's? Are some or all of the vm's using the
same NIC that is having the problem? Have you tried uninstalling vmware? It
sounds to me like the vm's are IO bound and the host is struggling for
resources. You may be better off asking about this problem in a vmware forum
or newsgroup.

--

> I'm running 3 VMs on VMWare Server. The Host is a Dell Demension E520
> with a
> 1.8GHz C2D and 8GB of RAM.
> These are the top users, but there's about 58 processes running...
> vmware-vmx.exe - 176K
> svchost.exe - 83K
> explorer.exe - 51K
> svchost.exe - 48K
> svchost.exe - 48K
> vmware-vmx.exe - 47K
> vmware-vmx.exe - 46K

reform

Mar 22, 2009, 3:20:24 PM3/22/09

This problem is driving me mad. I use Vista Home Premium 64 on my main
workstation. I have a collection(6 machines) of xp64 and vista 64HP
rendernodes. I am finding that some of the nodes stop getting access to
my workstation HD and as a result can no longer contribute to any
network rendering.

I know this is somehow related to the 10 node connection limit of
windows, but I don&#8217;t see how this problem arises fairly randomly
and with only six rendernodes. I am running backburner server and Vray
DR spawner both as services with specified usernames (same username for
all nodes).

In my event viewer I am getting system errors Event ID 2017 &#8220;The

server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the
server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool

allocations.&#8221; and Event ID 2021 &#8220;The server was unable to
allocate a work item 2 times in the last 60 seconds.&#8221;

I have also tried the various fixes online that reputedly increase the
TCP/IP limit of a vista machine, but none seem to have worked.
Does anyone know of a fix?

Thanks!

--
reform

rne...@gmail.com

May 7, 2009, 12:18:02 PM5/7/09
Try this.

In:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer
\Parameters

Set the 'Size' value to 3

(This apparently means "optimize for server operation" or something
like that.)

Saw this suggestion in a Microsoft KB article (sorry, don't remember
which one) and it fixed the problem for me, for both Vista and Server
2003 attaching to another Vista (32 bit) "file server." Haven't had
the problem since making this change.

TVitello

Jun 25, 2009, 10:01:39 PM6/25/09

Yes, I confirm this works in Vista and Windows 7. If you share any other
apps you get get this. I use My Movies and the SQL server installation
should tune this.

You must set to 3 (not higher)
Below is the acutal in from 'Systems Internals Tips and Trivia'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897446.aspx)
TUNING WORKSTATION FOR SERVER-LIKE LOADS
NT Workstation and NT Server have vastly different performance
characteristics due to the internal tuning that the NT operating system,
which is identical on both, performs. Most tuning parameters are
inaccessible, but a few are located in the Registry. If you are running
Server and you double-click on the Server entry of the Services tab in
the Control Panel's Network applet, you will get a dialog that lets you
determine what type of application you want the machine to be tuned for.
Choices let you select between "Minimize Memory Used", "Balance",
"Maximize Usage for File Sharing", and "Maximize Usage for Network
Applications". This dialog box is not presented on Workstation
installations. The various selections actually change the values of two
Registry values:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\LargeSystemCache
and
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size
This table (which was derived from sessions with 'Regmon'
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896652.aspx))
presents the settings you should select on a Workstation to achieve the
same effect you would get using the dialog box were your system a
Server.

Minimize Memory Used 1
Balance 2
File Sharing 3
Network Applications 3
Minimize Memory Used01Balance02File Sharing13Network Applications03

--
TVitello

rayhoneycutt

Sep 25, 2009, 5:27:14 PM9/25/09
We had the exact same problem on a new Gateway running Vista 64bit, with 8 GB RAM. Applied the two registry keys and it appears to have fixed it. Thanks for your help.

TVitello wrote:

Re: Event ID 2017 and 2021
25-Jun-09

--
TVitello

WPF And The Model View View Model Pattern
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/ec832ac7-6e4c-4ea8-81ab-7374d3da3425/wpf-and-the-model-view-vi.aspx