Dual-boot XP-Vista

Unknown Hero

Feb 13, 2008, 6:20:54 PM2/13/08

Hi everyone!

I searched all over the internet for this simple (I think) problem, but
I couldn't find any solutions.

This is my problem:
I have installed Vista on my C:\ disk.
After that I installed XP on D:\ disk.
Now I can't boot Vista anymore.
I tried with boot.ini

> [boot loader]
> timeout=5
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista"
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin
> ...but with no success.

I've read that there's a program called bcdedit.exe. I tried to make
that one work on XP, but I failed.

Can someone pls help me?

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I don't have Vista's DVD, and I'm trying to avoid installing XP
again. If there's any way around...I would be gratefull! (Is there any
way I can edit bcdedit.exe in XP?)

--
Unknown Hero

Bruce Chambers

Feb 13, 2008, 9:12:21 PM2/13/08
Unknown Hero wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I searched all over the internet for this simple (I think) problem, but
> I couldn't find any solutions.
>
> This is my problem:
> I have installed Vista on my C:\ disk.
> After that I installed XP on D:\ disk.
> Now I can't boot Vista anymore.
> I tried with boot.ini

Snipped....

> I've read that there's a program called bcdedit.exe. I tried to make
> that one work on XP, but I failed.

That's because Bcedit.exe is a Vista program.

> Can someone pls help me?
>
> Thank you very much!
>

> EDIT: I don't have Vista's DVD, and I'm trying to avoid installing XP
> again. If there's any way around...I would be gratefull! (Is there any
> way I can edit bcdedit.exe in XP?)

Vista doesn't use Boot.ini or any of WinXP's boot files.

Normally, the older OS must be installed first unless you wish to
acquire and use some 3rd-party partition and boot management utility.
(In which case you have to follow the instructions provided by whatever
3rd party solution you select.) However, this KB Article (not for the
faint of heart) explains how to repair the Vista boot process after
installing WinXP:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of
the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Rick Rogers

Feb 13, 2008, 9:12:46 PM2/13/08

You need a Vista disk. Vista can't load from XP's bootloader (ntldr). What
you must do at this point is run a startup repair from the Vista disk. Once
you can get into Vista, you can use bcdedit to add an entry for XP. You
cannot use bcdedit from XP.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Unknown Hero" <Unknown.H...@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

John Barnes

Feb 13, 2008, 9:39:20 PM2/13/08
You can download and install VistaBootPro or EasyBCD on your XP system and
use it to reinstall the Vista boot process. I personally use EasyBCD, but
the other works fine too.

"NachtWacht"

Feb 13, 2008, 9:42:30 PM2/13/08
Unknown Hero <Unknown.H...@no-mx.forums.net> schreef in bericht

> Hi everyone!
> I searched all over the internet for this simple (I think) problem, but
> I couldn't find any solutions.

This is my problem:
> I have installed Vista on my C:\ disk.
> After that I installed XP on D:\ disk.
> Now I can't boot Vista anymore.
> I tried with boot.ini
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=5
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Vista"
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /noexecute=optin
> ...but with no success.

> I've read that there's a program called bcdedit.exe. I tried to make
> that one work on XP, but I failed.
>
> Can someone pls help me?
>
> Thank you very much!

Install VistabootPRO or EeasyBCD and repair the bootmanager.

--
____________________
>> NIGHTWATCHER <<
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Alex T. ~MVP Windows Shell/User~

Feb 17, 2008, 11:06:58 PM2/17/08
Go to

http://neosmart.net/

downlaod EasyBCD and run it. For more info check the forums there also read
through the Wiki they provide:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Repairing+the+Windows+Vista+Bootloader

That will give you all the answers you need.

--
~Alex T~
.:~AKA Makaveli213~:.