Solution to STOP 0x00000124

dzomlija

Sep 20, 2007, 10:03:03 AM9/20/07

Some of the regulars on this forum may remember that I posted a question
a while back regarding STOP 0x00000124 on Vista Ultimate x64.

Well, for those of you that may be experiencing this same problem, I
believe I've found the solution.

To recap, I recently experienced severe occurances of STOP 0x124,
sometimes as much a 4 times in as many minutes, especially after some
instensive HDD activity! It became so bad, that I could eventually
predict that a distinctive "click" coming from within my case, and a
sudden, extreme slowdown of the system meant that a STOP 0x124 was not
too far behind.

The odd thing was, that even the resulting BSOD crashed when it was
initializing the dump in preparation for the error report to Microsoft.

Most support forums, including Microsofts own, pointed to bad sound
card drivers conflicting with the video card drivers, mostly those from
nVidia. After rolling back my video driver to the WHQL drivers in Vista,
and disabling my sound, I still experienced STOP 0x124.

Because of the nasty click sounds from the case just before the crash,
I next checked and removed my RAID JBOD confifuration, and determined
that this too was not the problem, as the BSODs continued.

I was at my wits end, and downloaded a utility to check the SMART
status of my hard drives. This tool reported no faults, and claimed my
hard disks where all ok.

So right about then, I resigned myself to the possibility of losing
data to a STOP 0x124 error, and chalked it up to a bug in Vista x64. So
I'll wait a few months for SP1 to solve the issue. I could live with
that, even if my over taxed stress levels could not.

But I then noticed something extremely odd in my BIOS a few days ago.
For some apparent reason, the
_32-Bit_Disk_Access_for_one_of_my_hard_disks_was_turned_off_!

The only time I recall needing to turn off 32-Bit Disk Access was way
back when with Windows 3.1, so I turned it back on. And double checked
the settings also for the rest of my hard disks, just to be sure.

I'll keep you all posted, but it seems as though the problem has gone
away. My system is running smoothly again, and has been doing so for now
nearly 3 days straight, without any BSODs whatsoever. I've even gone
back to all my original drivers before the problem started, and have
reconfigured my RAID JBOD settings.

*Check your Hard Disk settings in your BIOS if you're experiencing STOP
0x124 errors. It worked for me, so it may just do the same for you.*

Hope this info helps!

--
dzomlija

____________________________________
Peter Alexander Dzomlija
Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...

- ASUS A8N32-SLi-Deluxe
- AMD Atlon 64 Dual-Core 4800+
- 4GB DDR400
- ASUS nVidia 6600
- Thermaltake Tai-Chi Watercooled Chassis
- 1207GB Total Formatted Storage
- Vista Ultimate x64
- CodeGear Delphi 2007

Christor

Mar 27, 2008, 3:55:57 PM3/27/08

Thank you so very much for this solutions, have had this problem for two
weeks now.
Did not notice that the problem started after I updated my BIOS.

--
Christor

MOBO: P5W DH Deluxe
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
RAM: Corsair XMS2-6400 TWIN2X2048-6400C4
GPU: Leadtek WinFast GeForce 7950GT Extreme 256MB
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business x64

Torn

Apr 12, 2008, 10:26:01 PM4/12/08
What kind of soulution did he came up with?

Seems like the user got deleted-.-

sigh

neophile

Nov 9, 2008, 9:32:28 PM11/9/08

I recently had this issue as well and read a couple forums and decided
to try removing the wireless network card which happened to be a pci-e
card, which is probably why the pci-e video card I was using conflicted
with it. If you are having this issue, try removing anything that may
use a similar bus (ie, the pci-e if it's a pci-e card and pci if it's
pci).

OS: Windows Vista 32-bit
Mainboard: a8n-sli32 deluxe
cpu: amd 4200+ dual core
vga: bfg nvidia 8800gtx
memory: 2gb corsair xms
wifi card: dlink pci-e extreme-n wifi (removed this)

--
neophile
neophile's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/neophile.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

seanmjohnston

Jan 4, 2009, 10:14:14 AM1/4/09

I think that the solution is correct but cannot find this setting at all
in my BIOS! I have an HP dv9500 laptop and the BIOS really seems way to
simple. I have tried looking through computer management, disc
management, etc... but nothing. Also HP is being no help. Any chance
anyone can help me out? I think I started the problem by dual booting
Ubuntu 64 bit on my extra hard drive. I have removed Ubuntu and
reformatted the hard drive but I believe this is when the problem began.
I have vista ultimate x64 and this BSOD seems completely random to me.
Thank you for any help!

--
seanmjohnston

Dzomlija

Jan 4, 2009, 11:36:36 PM1/4/09

Every BIOS is different, and the setting may not necessairly be
labelled "Enable 32-Bit Disk Access". It could be along the lines of
"High Speed Access" or "Advanced Configuration", etc.

That is, of course, assuming that the BIOS exposes that particular
option to the user.

Have you tried locating and installing an updated BIOS for you machine?

--
Dzomlija

*PETER ALEXANDER DZOMLIJA*
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as

you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

http://www.phx.co.za/

seanmjohnston

Jan 4, 2009, 11:40:10 PM1/4/09

Dzomlija;929775 Wrote:
> > seanmjohnston;929204 Wrote:
> > I think that the solution is correct but cannot find this setting at all
> > in my BIOS! I have an HP dv9500 laptop and the BIOS really seems way to
> > simple. I have tried looking through computer management, disc
> > management, etc... but nothing. Also HP is being no help. Any chance
> > anyone can help me out? I think I started the problem by dual booting
> > Ubuntu 64 bit on my extra hard drive. I have removed Ubuntu and
> > reformatted the hard drive but I believe this is when the problem began.
> > I have vista ultimate x64 and this BSOD seems completely random to me.
> > Thank you for any help!> >
>
> Every BIOS is different, and the setting may not necessairly be
> labelled "Enable 32-Bit Disk Access". It could be along the lines of
> "High Speed Access" or "Advanced Configuration", etc.
>
> That is, of course, assuming that the BIOS exposes that particular
> option to the user.
>
> Have you tried locating and installing an updated BIOS for you
> machine?

I'm kind of unsure how to do this. Would my HP update automatically do
this or is it something that I would have to seek out on the HP site?

--
seanmjohnston

Dzomlija

Jan 5, 2009, 12:18:08 AM1/5/09

I do not use HP machine, so I'm not too sure if their Update software
will do so automatically. But if it is anything like ASUS, then at the
very least it will have the facility to load a new BIOS that you
manually downloaded from the HP site.

Just use extreme caution doing so, because using the wrong BIOS could
turn your machine into a brick. Be 100% sure that a BIOS update is what
you need, and that you have downloaded the correct one, which should NOT
be a BETA BIOS.

If you are uncertain of the procedure, perhaps it may be best to ask a
friend to help, or take the machine to your nearest computer repair shop
and have them do it for you?

roman modic

Jan 14, 2009, 1:57:23 PM1/14/09
Hello!

"neophile" <neophil...@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:neophil...@DoNotSpam.com...

> I recently had this issue as well and read a couple forums and decided
> to try removing the wireless network card which happened to be a pci-e
> card, which is probably why the pci-e video card I was using conflicted
> with it. If you are having this issue, try removing anything that may
> use a similar bus (ie, the pci-e if it's a pci-e card and pci if it's

BTW, here is an MS article regarding this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952681
[quote]
During the rebalancing process, the system does not configure the Max
Payload Size value correctly on the root port of the PCI Express bus.
The incorrect value causes a mismatch between the root port of the PCI
Express bus and the device on the PCI Express bus. Therefore, the
operating system triggers a Machine Check Architecture (MCA)
exception, and the operating system returns a "0x00000124" exception.
[/quote]

The hotfix updates files pci.sys, mssmbios.sys, swenum.sys, ...
These files are updated again in the hotfix KB956115 to build 6.0.6001.22233
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956115
[quote]
You have at least one PCI Express card that does not fully support Active
State Power Management (ASPM) inserted.
For example, a CPU IERR error may occur.
[/quote]

Regards, Roman

P.S. Is this already patched in Windows 7 beta?

Aaron94

Aug 6, 2009, 7:02:06 AM8/6/09

I'm having the same problem with my new pc, but I'm not a really
computer expert, so i have no idea what BIOS, etc. is, can anybody
please help me with simple steps to solve the problem?

--
Aaron94
Aaron94's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/122073.htm