Boot Manager asks what OS to use every time I start up

jeremy7679

Dec 21, 2008, 8:45:05 PM12/21/08

I've just had to replace my hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop
and now every time I start my computer the Boot Manager asks what
Operating System to use. Does anyone know how to remedy this?

--
jeremy7679

Rick Rogers

Dec 21, 2008, 10:43:31 PM12/21/08

Run msconfig from the start/search line and see if multiples are listed on
the boot tab. If so, delete the unwanted one(s).

Otherwise, open an elevated command prompt, run bcdedit /enum and copy/paste
the results into a response.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"jeremy7679" <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

Tech_Mate

Dec 23, 2008, 2:03:23 AM12/23/08
If that doesn't work go back in msconfig and set the time out to 0 seconds.

Terry

jeremy7679

Dec 23, 2008, 5:00:01 AM12/23/08

Forgive me, if what doesn't work?

And the lowest you can go with the time out is 3 seconds.

--
jeremy7679

Peter Foldes

Dec 23, 2008, 8:27:59 AM12/23/08
Excuse me but did you do what Rick has posted for you

--
Peter

"jeremy7679" <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

jeremy7679

Dec 23, 2008, 8:59:10 AM12/23/08

Peter Foldes;918327 Wrote:
> Excuse me but did you do what Rick has posted for you
>
> --
> Peter

I don't see a reply by a Rick, I only see this from Tech_Mate:

--
jeremy7679

Rick Rogers

Dec 23, 2008, 3:53:05 PM12/23/08
He's posting via vBulletin which stupididly will slough a post onto the
Microsoft public forums, but will not accept a response anyone posting via
newsreader because it doesn't come from a registered user of their forum.
How incredibly stupid.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Peter Foldes" <okf...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

jeremy7679

Dec 24, 2008, 2:41:57 AM12/24/08

So what did Rick tell me to do?

--
jeremy7679

Jim Moriarty

Dec 24, 2008, 2:55:01 AM12/24/08
On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 01:41:57 -0600, jeremy7679
<gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>So what did Rick tell me to do?

Proof that those web-based forums are totally inadequate. Vista
forums shows 5 posts, whereas Google Groups shows EIGHT.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices/browse_frm/thread/67f0e31901aa7799/e81e176341f09420#e81e176341f09420

or

http://tinyurl.com/9f8ts7

NormCameron

Dec 24, 2008, 2:56:06 AM12/24/08

Did you do a fresh install on the new drive, or a factory install by
mirroring the old drive or from a disk?

Norm

--
NormCameron

jeremy7679

Dec 24, 2008, 3:28:16 AM12/24/08

Ok, this is the results of the bcedit/enum:

Windows Boot Manager
----------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
displayorder {current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 3

Windows Boot Loader
---------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {572bcd55-ffa7-11d9-aae0-0007e9941-07d}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C.
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {7fdd6ac6-70be-11db-ba26-a0b016378059}
nx Opt In
sos No

--
jeremy7679

jeremy7679

Dec 24, 2008, 4:10:46 AM12/24/08

I just hooked in the hard drive and it configured itself.

--
jeremy7679

NormCameron

Dec 24, 2008, 5:29:50 AM12/24/08

Do you now have two drives? Or just one?

--
NormCameron

Bellerophon

Dec 24, 2008, 5:39:00 AM12/24/08

Is it giving you just one option to chose from or more than one? What
are the option(s) presented?

--
Bellerophon

"Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
-Domain 4 sale: 'iamapc.co.uk' (http://iamapc.co.uk/)-

jeremy7679

Dec 24, 2008, 5:45:05 AM12/24/08

Bellerophon;919157 Wrote:
> > jeremy7679;917146 Wrote:
> > I've just had to replace my hard drive on my Dell Inspiron 1721 laptop
> > and now every time I start my computer the Boot Manager asks what
> > Operating System to use. Does anyone know how to remedy this?> >
>
> Is it giving you just one option to chose from or more than one? What
> are the option(s) presented?
Just the one option, Windows Vista. And as far as I can tell, it is set
as the default option.

--
jeremy7679

NormCameron

Dec 24, 2008, 5:31:16 AM12/24/08

Do you now have two drives? Or just one? Sounds like the Vista
Installer is still active.

Norm

--
NormCameron