CPU near 100% since running new Windows Updates

COLLIN

Jun 22, 2006, 7:51:57 AM6/22/06
System = Toshiba Portege Tablet XP 2005

Not sure if anyone have had this problem, but my Tablet XP 2005 (SP2) have
had problems due to Windows Update. When the computer boots up, and logs
in, in about 1 minute it starts to be non-responsive due to 98-100% CPU
utilization. I actually rebuilt the machine cleanly but the CPU started
becoming unresponsive again. I traced it to the Windows Update EXE file.
You will actually see the SVCHOST.EXE which is a key file for Windows
systems but there are mnay threads hanging or running off of it, and windows
Update EXE file was one that was causing the over utilization. Soon as I
disabled update or used MANUAL in SERVICES (instead of automatic) and and
disabled Windows Update, then my Tablet was smooth and quick again.

Good Luck

Chris H.

Jun 22, 2006, 9:06:06 AM6/22/06
What is your choice for the Automatic Updates in Control Panel? There are
choices to Automatic, Download Updates or Notify Me . . . in addition to
turning off the updates. Do you have any error messages in Event Viewer
(Application and System) showing for when the machine is first starting?
Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for service which run from
dynamic-link libraries (a description is here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056/en-us ) and there are many instances
of it running in Windows XP. Do you have the same behavior if you're using
Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update?
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"COLLIN" <col...@msn.com> wrote in message

COLLIN

Jun 22, 2006, 7:51:05 PM6/22/06
I now run it manually, I do not let it run automatically - disabled
notification and the service in control panel as manual. You are correct in
stating that there are numerous SVCHOST.EXE. This is normal as many
services are tied to this. I have identified the culprit using Process
Explorer from Sysinternal. See the other responses in
microsoft.public.windowsupdate. It has been confirmed by other people to my
post.

Too many bad patches in last few releaes of Microsoft Updates - how many
more bad patches will we be getting?

"Chris H." <winx...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

GLORIA

Aug 26, 2006, 2:09:01 PM8/26/06