Windows Update Agent 7.1.6001.65 changes?

Eric Young

Feb 12, 2008, 2:57:04 PM2/12/08
I have read the WSUS 3.0 SP1 release notes and did not see any changes/fixes
listed for the new Windows Update Agent 7.1.6001.65. Yet, didn't something
change? Example: The long-standing problem with restart notifications that
experienced undocumented new behavior from WSUS 2.0 agent to WSUS 3.0 agent?
Fixed now?

-Eric

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Feb 12, 2008, 10:36:12 PM2/12/08
"Eric Young" <you...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

The WSUS release notes have never contained any notes on the functionality
to the Windows Update Agent.

In fact, for reasons I still don't understand, the WUA client team hasn't
released much in the form of documentation at all!

I believe I'll make a point of asking about that in April at the MVP Summit.
:-)

In the meantime, I'll see what I might be able to get my hands on that
resembles commentary on new or removed functionality in the various versions
of the Windows Update Agent.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP

http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

Eddie Bowers [MSFT]

Feb 13, 2008, 7:46:51 PM2/13/08
To get the old restart behavior (old meaning before 7.0.6000.374) you must
set the following registry key as well as the DisableWindowsUpdateAccess
key with the new client (7.1.6001.65 or later)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Windows
Update\DisableWindowsUpdateAccessMode, to give users the capability to get
the same behavior of WinXP, showing the reboot notifications when
DisableWindowsUpdateAccess is set. The supported modes are 0 = Do not show
any notifications and 1 = Show restart required notifications. If this
registry value is not set, then the default mode, 0, will be used.

To set this registry value, you must do it through the registry. We don't
currently have a policy definition to set this via the policy editor.

Eddie Bowers
Security Support
Microsoft Corporation

Eric Young

Feb 14, 2008, 12:30:11 PM2/14/08
This is the sort of stuff that needs to be documented somewhere beyond just
these newsgroups.

Thank you!
-Eric

"Eddie Bowers [MSFT]" <edd...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Eric Young

Feb 14, 2008, 6:06:20 PM2/14/08
Actually, setting DisableWindowsUpdateAccessMode to 1 does _not_ fully
restore the old pre-WSUS3 agent behavior. For normal users, yes, it's fine.
But for admins, Restart Later is not greyed out. With the old pre-WSUS3
agent, Restart Later would be greyed out even if you were an administrator,
when NoWindowsUpdate and DisableWindowsUpdateAccess were set to 1.

This remains a problem for our environment. We do not want even the mighty
admins to be able to click "Restart Later".

So, there is still a problem with undocumented changed behavior with WSUS3+
agents :-(