Want to Install The Updates on the Client without user interventio

1 view

Vineet

Apr 6, 2010, 7:22:01 AM4/6/10
I have a WSUS server s.0 sp2 and around 350 clients. Many of them are either
XP or vista and few of them are on 2003, 2000 platform.

I have configured them through GPEDIT. Following is the registry of the
clients showing the configuration made by me.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate]
"WUServer"="http://191.254.178.52"
"WUStatusServer"="http://191.254.178.52"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000000
"AUOptions"=dword:00000004
"ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
"ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:0000000b
"UseWUServer"=dword:00000001
"RescheduleWaitTimeEnabled"=dword:00000001
"RescheduleWaitTime"=dword:00000001
"NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers"=dword:00000001
"DetectionFrequencyEnabled"=dword:00000001
"DetectionFrequency"=dword:00000005
"AutoInstallMinorUpdates"=dword:00000001
"RebootRelaunchTimeoutEnabled"=dword:00000000

The clients are downloading the updates and after the downloading is
complete they wait for the confirmation from the user to install them.
And mostly the user does not click the baloon appearing on the task bar
hence the updates keeps piling up.

Is there a setting where the clients automatically installs the update
without asking for user. If there is then kindly tell me the setting required
to do this in all the above different os of the clients.

Thanks for help in advance

Vineet Cornelius

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

Apr 6, 2010, 3:20:34 PM4/6/10
"Vineet" <Vin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> The clients are downloading the updates and after the downloading is
> complete they wait for the confirmation from the user to install them.

More likely they are prompting an =admin= user to interactively install the
updates because they are ready and available.

> And mostly the user does not click the baloon appearing on the task bar
> hence the updates keeps piling up.

> "AUOptions"=dword:00000004

> "ScheduledInstallDay"=dword:00000000
> "ScheduledInstallTime"=dword:0000000b

And those updates should then be installed at the scheduled installation
time of 11:00am. To determine if/why/whynot/how the updates are being
handled at 11:00am, please review the WindowsUpdate.log for the entries
recorded at 11:00am local time on the client.

> Is there a setting where the clients automatically installs the update
> without asking for user.

To not ask the user, either the user must not be a local administrator, or
you must explicitly block access to use the WUAgent UI.

> If there is then kindly tell me the setting required
> to do this in all the above different os of the clients.

You'll find all of this documented in the WSUS Deployment Guide in the
section on configuring clients.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA