Server Performance Report - Memory in use - showing 'No data'

ArchangelG

Jun 16, 2006, 4:32:57 AM6/16/06

My Server Performance Report from SBS 2003 continuously shows 'No
data'. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this, could someone help
please?

I had to reload SBS after a fatal failure in the begining of the year
and since then haven't been able to get any memory usage stats. I've
just recently doubled the memory in my server, I'm now running with 4G
but I'm unable to report to the the Managing Director on whether this
'expense' is worth the money the company's paid. (I know it is, but I
need the numbers to prove it)

Thanks
ArchangelG

Crina Li

Jun 19, 2006, 3:29:45 AM6/19/06
Hi ArchangelG,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

From your problem description, I understand this issue to be: the server
monitoring report gives no data when you try to view it. If I have
misunderstood your concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

To troubleshoot this issue, please follow the below steps and let me know
the result:

1. Please make sure no matter you access the Server Management console or
view the report email, the reports are all empty.
2. Rerun monitoring wizard with following steps:

1) Open Server Management console, navigate to 'Monitoring and Reporting'
snap-in. In the right panel, click 'Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts'.
2) In the wizard, click 'Next'->Select 'Reinstall monitoring
features'->Select the options if you want to receive the report e-mails.
Check 'View the usage report in Server Management' option. If you want to
receive the usage report e-mail, also check the option below->Add the users
which you allow them to view the usage report to the authorized
list->Select the option if you want to receive the performance
alerts->Click 'Finish' button to complete the configurations.
3) After doing the above steps, the performance and usage data will be
reset. Please wait for 24 hours and then you will see the reports through
the Monitoring and Reporting console.

3. After above steps, please open the Scheduled Tasks and you will follow
below three tasks:

Collect Server Performance Data
Collect Usage Data
Small Business Server - Server Status Report - Server Performance Report

Please right click each and click run. Wait for couple of minutes and check
the monitoring snap-in in the server management again

4. Furthermore, please also check the Task Scheduler Service in the
Services console. Make sure it is started and set to automatic.

If you have any questions or concerns related to this issue, please do let
me know.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: "ArchangelG" <gabci...@gmail.com>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Subject: Server Performance Report - Memory in use - showing 'No data'
| Date: 16 Jun 2006 01:32:57 -0700

ArchangelG

Jun 21, 2006, 3:49:35 AM6/21/06
Hi Crina Li

Thank-you for your reply.

I have followed your troubleshooting steps and left the system about 36
hours run through a reporting cycle but still no joy.

I apologise, my initial description of the problem wasn't very
descriptive at all. I'll try again below.

I'll copy/paste my report below to show what I'm talking about but in
brief, it's just the following sections that seem to be problematic:

In the Summary, 'Server has been running:' doen't give anything, it
doesn't even say 'no data'.

In the 'Server Specifications' section it gives me: 'No data is
available for this section. Ensure that the Windows Management
Instrumentation service is running.'
I've checked the WMI service is running which it was and still is, but
I noticed the 'Windows Management Instrumentation Driver Extensions'
service wasn't running. I'm not sure whether this one is needed for
this purpose but I've started it anyway.

In the 'Performance Summary', 'Memory in use' says 'No data'. This is
where my real problem is because I need to report to the MD but there's
no data here and I'm not sure where else I can get any monitoring
information.

Following I've copy/pasted the report:

Server Performance Report for 4C Group
Report created on 6/21/2006 at 7:00 AM

Summary for

Server has been running:
Server Specifications Details
Performance Summary Details
Top Processes Details
Backup: Not configured Details
Auto-started Services Not Running: 0 Details
Critical Alerts: 1 Details
Critical Errors in the Event Logs: 3 Details

Details of

Server Specifications

No data is available for this section. Ensure that the Windows
Management Instrumentation service is running.

Performance Summary

Performance Counters Today Last Month Rate of Growth
Memory in use No data No data
Free disk space (C:) 1,919 MB No data
Free disk space (D:) 189,766 MB No data
Busy disk time (0 C: D:) 12 % No data

Top 5 Processes by Memory Usage

Process Name - ID Memory Usage
store - 4612 574 MB

W3PROXY - 5336 486 MB

sqlservr - 1536 174 MB

RPCServ - 5704 146 MB

sqlservr - 1660 108 MB

Top 5 Processes by CPU Usage

Process Name - ID CPU Time
scan32 - 9232 28.0 %

store - 4612 3.2 %

beremote - 1692 3.0 %

W3PROXY - 5336 1.5 %

WSPSRV - 5236 1.3 %

Backup

Result Last Occurrence
Small Business Server Backup is not configured. To configure backup,
click the Backup snap-in in Server Management, and then click Configure
Backup. Not applicable

Auto-started Services Not Running

No data is available for this section. Ensure that the Windows
Management Instrumentation service is running.

Critical Alerts

Issue Last Occurrence Total Occurrences
Process (store.exe) 6/20/2006 7:38 PM 1
The store.exe process is allocating more memory than usual.

Check to see if you are having problems with e-mail. If so, stop and
then restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service.

You can disable this alert or change its threshold by using the Change
Alert Notifications task in the Server Management Monitoring and
Reporting taskpad.

Critical Errors in Application Log

Source Event ID Last Occurrence Total Occurrences
McAfee SpamKiller 2053 6/21/2006 4:01 AM 1
An update failed with error fffff894.

Source Event ID Last Occurrence Total Occurrences
Microsoft Fax 32092 6/20/2006 3:15 PM 1
The Fax service failed to receive a fax. From: . CallerId: . To: Beech
Builders Ltd. Pages: 0. Device Name: U.S. Robotics V.92 Voice Win Int.

Source Event ID Last Occurrence Total Occurrences
MSExchangeIS Public Store 2028 6/20/2006 2:04 PM 1
The delivery of a message sent by public folder JUNK MAIL
ARCHIVE88FA08D04A18E43D7A29DBA6CB0E4B6A017AF6 has failed. To:
in...@kallinger-aalen.de Cc: The non-delivery report has been deleted.
For more information, click

Critical Errors in Directory Service Log

There were no critical events in the Directory Service Log in the last
24 hours.

Critical Errors in DNS Server Log

There were no critical events in the DNS Server Log in the last 24
hours.

Critical Errors in File Replication Service Log

There were no critical events in the File Replication Service Log in
the last 24 hours.

Critical Errors in Security Log

There were no critical events in the Security Log in the last 24 hours.

Critical Errors in System Log

There were no critical events in the System Log in the last 24 hours.

For an updated version of this report, visit the 4C Group Remote Web
Workplace. You can also use Terminal Services to connect to the server
and view the report in the Server Management Console.

To get the latest news and updates about Windows Small Business Server,
and ask questions and collaborate with peers and experts, visit the
Windows Small Business Server Community Web site.

Crina Li

Jun 21, 2006, 6:03:50 AM6/21/06
Hi ArchangelG,

Thanks for your update.

Because the WMI service is running, this problem may be caused by the WMI
Repository was rebuilt and some components for monitoring and reporting
feature was not registered. To fix this issue, you can reinstall the
monitoring components on the SBS server:

1. Open Add/Remove Programs in ''Control Panel''. Select ''Windows Small
Business Server 2003'' and click ''Change/Remove'' button.

2. The SBS 2003 setup wizard will initiate. In the wizard, click ''Next''
button-->In components selection window, select ''Maintenance'' for
''Server Tools'' and then select ''Reinstall'' for ''Monitoring''.

3. Click ''Next'' to continue the installation.

4. If you have installed the SBS 2003 SP1, you will receive the following
message after you insert SBS Disc 3 to reinstall Monitoring component:

"The drive contains a disc for Windows Small Business Server 2003 with no
service packs. When the prompt appears, insert a disc for Windows Small
Business Server 2003 with Service Pack 1."

Since Disc 3 for SBS SP1 doesn't include the Monitoring part, the
installation cannot proceed.

We'll then use the steps below to work around this problem:

a. Start a cmd prompt and change directory to the SP1 download folder (or
the SBS03_SP1 folder on PKG_CD2).

b. Type "SBS2003-KB885918-SP1-X86-ENU.EXE /x" (with no quotation marks) and
press Enter.

c. Specifying a path for the extracted files (such as C:\SBSSP1)

d. Run the SBS Integrated setup, and when the setup program prompts for the
CD3, point it to the folder created above.

5. Please re-apply the Windows 2003 SP1 and SBS 2003 Sp1 again since those
two update need to be installed after reinstalling the monitoring component.

6. If the issue persists after you reinstall the two updates, please run
the following commands to re-register the providers and dll files:

C:
CD\Windows\System32\wbem
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mfl') do mofcomp %s
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

I appreciate your time and cooperation. If anything is unclear, please feel
free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

| Subject: Re: Server Performance Report - Memory in use - showing 'No data'
| Date: 21 Jun 2006 00:49:35 -0700

Crina Li

Jun 26, 2006, 5:01:20 AM6/26/06
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your update.

I will look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

| Subject: Re: Server Performance Report - Memory in use - showing 'No data'

| Date: 21 Jun 2006 00:49:35 -0700

ArchangelG

Jun 27, 2006, 3:38:19 AM6/27/06
Hi Crina Li,

Please find below the report I received this morning. I received a
similar report yesterday morning.

There still isn't any 'Server Specifications' or 'Memory use' data
despite me running through your instructions on Saturday afternoon.

Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Jun 27, 2006, 5:38:47 AM6/27/06
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your update.

Please try to run the following commands to re-register the providers and
dll files to see how thing goes:

C:
CD\Windows\System32\wbem
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mfl') do mofcomp %s
for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

If the problem still persists, I suggest you try the following steps to
completely reinstall the Monitoring components:

- Uninstall the SBS Monitoring component

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. Select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and then click Change/Remove.
The Setup Wizard appears.
3. Click Next to start the wizard.
4. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
5. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server
Tools to Maintenance, change Monitoring component to Remove, and then click
Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

- Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SBSMONITORING)

In Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine
(SBSMONITORING) and then click Remove. A dialog box appears. To confirm
that you want to remove, click Yes.

- Delete Registry Keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Monitoring
2. Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL
Server\SBSMONITORING

- Delete IIS Virtual Directory

1. Open IIS, expand servername, Web Sites, Default Web Site
2. Delete Monitoring

- Rename Folders

1. Rename C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING to
MSSQL$SBSMONITORING.OLD
2. Rename c:\inetpub\monitoring to monitoring.old

- Install the Monitoring component

1. In Add or Remove Programs, select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and
then click Change/Remove. The Setup Wizard appears.
2. Click Next.
3. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
4. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server
Tools to Maintenance, change Monitoring component to Install, and then
click Next.
5. On the Logon Information page, click Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

I'm looking forward to your update. If you have any questions or concerns,
please do not hesitate to let me know. I am always happy to be of further
assistance.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

| Date: 27 Jun 2006 00:38:19 -0700

Crina Li

Jun 27, 2006, 11:06:28 PM6/27/06
Hi Gabriel,

I have replied you in newsgroup yesterday. Haven't you seen my reply? For
you convenience, I include the reply as following:

****************************
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your update.

Please try to run the following commands to re-register the providers and

- Delete Registry Keys

- Rename Folders

****************************

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

| Subject: Re: Server Performance Report - Memory in use - showing 'No data'

| Date: 27 Jun 2006 00:38:19 -0700

ArchangelG

Jun 28, 2006, 4:01:35 AM6/28/06
Thanks Crina Li,

I'll try your steps this coming weekend and let you know next week how
it went.

Regards,
Gabriel

Crina Li

Jun 28, 2006, 4:27:15 AM6/28/06
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your time and efforts on the issue.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

| Date: 28 Jun 2006 01:01:35 -0700

ArchangelG

Jul 3, 2006, 5:42:43 PM7/3/06
Hi Crina Li,

Just a quick update. I wasn't able to perform those steps over the
weekend, something came up and I wasn't able to get to the office.

Unfortunately, I'll be busy this coming weekend as well but I'll try as
soon as I can after.

Thanks for your help so far.

Archangel

ArchangelG

Jul 23, 2006, 11:06:58 AM7/23/06
Hi Crina Li,

Apologies for the delay.

I've just completed the steps as per your instructions with the same
results. I'm still not getting any data on my memory usage. I'm gonna
leave it for a few days and see if maybe it needs to run for a while to
gather some data.

While I was going through your instructions I noticed a few things were
not as you described, for instance:

> - Delete IIS Virtual Directory
>
> 1. Open IIS, expand servername, Web Sites, Default Web Site
> 2. Delete Monitoring

I couldn't find Monitoring in the IIS Manager. After installing it
again though it is there now but it wasn't before I uninstalled it.

> - Rename Folders
>
> 1. Rename C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING to
> MSSQL$SBSMONITORING.OLD
> 2. Rename c:\inetpub\monitoring to monitoring.old

There wasn't a Monitoring folder in Inetpub. Again, it is there now
but not before.

> C:
> CD\Windows\System32\wbem
> for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s
> for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mfl') do mofcomp %s
> for /f %s in ('dir /b *.dll') do regsvr32 /s %s

I've re-run the above commands after installing the monitoring
components as well but for now at least I'm not getting any results.

I wonder, could it have something to do with the hardware? Looking in
System Properties, the General tab tells me I have 3.93GB of RAM. A
month or so ago I installed 2 new 1GB DIMM's (which is why I was hoping
I could get the memory usage data) but I didn't exactly buy them from a
reputable source (to save cost I bought them from www.ebuyer.com)
although I buy most of my computer supplies from there and have been
for years and the bits I've bought have always worked without a
problem.

Anyway, I have a Dell PowerEdge 1600SC and bought '2 x Kingston 1GB
266MHz DDR ECC Registered CL2.5 DIMM' as per the recommended on the
Dell website.

To be honest I'm not completely sure if it is the DIMM's because even
before installed them, I didn't have any data for memory usage.

I'll post again after a few days to let you know if anything has
changed. In the mean time, if you can think of anything else that
might help, please let me know.

Thanks for the help so far,
ArchangelG

Crina Li

Jul 24, 2006, 4:29:42 AM7/24/06
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for your update.

From the current situation, we need to collect more advanced information
for analysis. Due to the complexity of this issue, we are unable to assist
with this request in newsgroup. To save your time, you may need to contact
CSS for better support.

A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Product Support Services via
telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your
request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged
call. However, if you are simply requesting a hotfix be sent to you and no
other support then charges are usually refunded or waived.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.