ntbackup and RSG

ks

Mar 7, 2005, 2:34:26 AM3/7/05
I see from the log file that ntbackup tries to backup the Recovery Storage
Group, at which point I get an error (The 'Microsoft Information Store'
returned 'Instance not found' from a call to 'HrESEBackupSetup()'..) Is this
normal? It seems to me Backup should not even try to backup the RSG, the
latter being itself a backup.

Just to see, I deleted the RSG and the backup completed without an error.

ks

Bill Peng [MSFT]

Mar 8, 2005, 2:02:35 AM3/8/05
Hi KS,

Thank you for posting here.

SBS backup selection script (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks ) created by the
Backup Configuration Wizard contains references to the Exchange Recovery
Storage Group.

If you open the Small Business Backup Script.bks with a notepad, you will
see:

JET SERVERNAME\Microsoft Information Store\Recovery Storage Group

When Recovery Storage Group is added to the Exchange first, then you run
the Backup Configuration Wizard, the Recovery Storage Group will be added
to the Small Business Backup Script.bks. However, NTbackup is not able to
back it up either via the script or directly via the NTbackup GUI.

To solve the problem, you can either remove the RSG or follow these steps:

1. Click Start and click Run.
2. Type NTBackup and click OK.
3. Choose Advanced Mode, click Backup tab, click Job menu and click Load
Selections.
4. Select Small Business Backup Script.bks from the path mentioned before.
5. Click OK on the error message:

Some invalid selections found in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small
Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks.

6. Click Job menu and click Save Selections.

[Note] Recovery Storage Group should not be used on a SBS 2003 server.
Otherwise the new created user accounts may have mailboxes created in that
storage group which will not work as expected.

I hope the above info helps.

If you have any update, please feel free to post back.

Bill Peng
MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

--------------------
>From: "ks" <ks...@ieee.org>
>Subject: ntbackup and RSG
>Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:34:26 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

ks

Mar 9, 2005, 12:30:14 AM3/9/05
Hi, Bill,

I don't get it when you say "Recovery Storage Group should not be used on a
SBS 2003 server." I thought the RSG was a new and valuable feature of the
Exchange server 2003, which is part of the SBS2003.

The script file had Jet my_server_name\Microsoft information store\First
Storage Group (not Recovery Storage Group). I thought the Exchange redirects
the restored files to the RSG, and the backup program remains unaware that
restoration has been redirected (from "Using Exchange Server 2003 Recovery
Storage Groups").

I didn't quite follow your 6 step resolution. How is that solving the
problem?

ks
"Bill Peng [MSFT]" <v-b...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bill Peng [MSFT]

Mar 9, 2005, 2:18:04 AM3/9/05
Hi KS,

Thank you for posting back.

The following issue will happen after you created the RSG:

SBS/Exchange: When there is a recovery storage group & you create a new
user, it is created in the RSG
http://seanda.blogspot.com/2005/02/watch-out-exchange-recovery-groups.html

This will be fixed in SBS 2003 R2 release ( which will co-inside with
Windows 2003 R2 release). We will not be fixing it for SBS 2003 SP1.

Workaround:
1. Delete the user that had their mailbox created in the mailbox store in
the Recovery Storage group . ( this should not be a big deal , as they will
not have been able to log on in the first place )
2. Delete the RSG. The RSG can be easily recreated if needed later on
3. Create the user again

Please make sure that the "JET SERVERNAME\Microsoft Information
Store\Recovery Storage Group" is not in the backup script. Please also
apply Hotfix 828402.

Backup (NTBackup.exe) stops during the backup process and event 8017 is
logged
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=828402

If you have any update, please feel free to let me know.

Bill Peng
MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

>From: "ks" <ks...@ieee.org>