OWA Problem: Can access as Administrator but not as any other user ?

1 view

Serial # 19781010

Dec 7, 2003, 7:44:01 AM12/7/03
Newbie with Exchange Server and also with SBS 2003

header says it. if I login to Remote Web Workspace via internet, as
Administrator I can check Outlook Email via OWA no problem

When I login via Internet (using LOCAL PC) as other users (even from
local PC's that had that user's desktop and Outlook settings imported
into Exchange server where the user can check his Exchange Server
profile locally and it works) OWA does NOT allow the user to
check email that way. Even logging in as a user with
Administrator Rights... from a local PC using Remote Web Workspace..
no luck with OWA

red letters above the OWA Login windows

You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Ensure that your
user name and password are correct, and then try again.

Have tried entering name both as alias, or as /domain.local/name ?
and other formats.. no luck

Ideas? I have looked and read many of the threads here in this forum
on OWA issues but am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Dec 7, 2003, 8:10:52 PM12/7/03
First of all, do this:
=====================
At the server:
1. Apply 831464
831464 FIX: IIS 6.0 Gzip Compression Corruption Causes Access Violations
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831464
2. Clear the IIS server files follow these steps:
a. Go to your %windows%\IIS Temporary Compressed Files directory
b. Select all of the content in this directory and delete it.
3. Go to a command prompt, type "iisreset".

At the client:
1. Go to Tools -> Internet Options
2. Select Delete Files and click OK to confirm that you want to delete the
content.
=====================

Next, when you logon as a regular user, did that user ever logon to the
domain?
Could you go to a LAN client, logon as that user, then bring up OWA as that
user?

If it is still no good, let's disable the Exchange Forms Based
Authentication and see if that make any differences.

Disable Exchange Forms Based Authentication:
1. Open Exchange System Manager
2. Expand Server, <server name>, Protocols, HTTP
3. Right-click Exchange Virtual Server, Properties. Settings tab.
4. Uncheck Enable Forms Based Authentication. Click OK.
5. Go to a command prompt, type "iisreset"

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

Michael J. Ringrose

Jan 1, 2004, 8:30:59 PM1/1/04
We had this problem on Small Business Server 2003 which was caused by
having our isp's domain specified as the user's smtp email address.
We did this so we could relay mail through the isp's server. Changing
the user's email domain to match our server's domain resolved the
logon failure issue for us. The setting is located at:
Go to Server Manager/Users
Go to properties for user
Go to Email Addresses tab
Check that the smtp entry matches your server's domain (can't set to
Isp's domain).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike