POP3 service in SBS 2003 Premuim

Tommy Nguyen

Apr 5, 2004, 7:10:32 PM4/5/04
SBS 2003 Premium fully installed. I have configured both SMTP and POP3
virtual server in Exchange. The SMTP service is working fine. However I am
unable to connect to the POP3 server using Outlook or Outlook Express. Upon
clicking SEND/RECEIVE in Outlook Express I get the error:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period
of inactivity. Account: 'account name', Server:'server', Protocol:
POP3, Port 110, Secure (SLL); No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

After researching Microsoft's KB I have found the following article that
matches my particular problem. Article Q278637:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278637&Product=sbserv2003

Mind you that this article is submitted by Microsoft themselves. According
to Microsoft this artcile applies to Microsoft Windows Small Business Server
2003 Premium Edition and Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition as
stated at the bottom of the article and which is exactly what I am running.
Under "Resolution" it advises to go to "Internet Services Manager". Is it
just me because, I have "Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager", not
"Internet Services Manager". Well I assume that this is a typographical
error and continue with their resolution. Then they advise to "clear the
Enable Bandwidth Throttling option", and once again their procedures
conflicts with my install of SBS. I do NOT have the "Enable Bandwidth
Throttling" option to clear. Am I the only one that is experiencing this?
Could it be that Microsoft does not know their product or did I misconfigure
my install?

Anyways, my overall objective is to configure POP3 service in order to have
remote users download their mail using Outlook or Outlook Express.. I have
been unsuccessful. After troubleshooting and extensive research, it has led
me to the KB article mentioned above. I do not know if disabling the
bandwidth throttling will resolve my problem. It is worth a shot, but
unfortunately there is an error in Microsoft's solution. Maybe there should
be a knowledge base that provided corrections for Micorsoft's Knowledge
Base. I am not asking for help with the above KB article, I am asking for
help with my getting POP3 service up and running. But if you do know
anything about this KB article or have suggestions, any information would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tommy Nguyen

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Apr 5, 2004, 10:28:13 PM4/5/04
The article is not correct and I will get it updated.
Meanwhile, you can find the settings by right-click the Web Sites,
Properties. Performance tab, Bandwidth throttling.

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

Hollis Paul [MVP - Outlook]

Apr 5, 2004, 11:14:10 PM4/5/04
Tommy,

Open the IIS Manager, click the help button, choose help topics. When the
help window comes up, search on "bandwidth throttling", without the quotes.
The very first article that my search brought up was entitled "Throttling
Bandwidth", and about two-thirds of the way down, is the section entitled
"To globally throttle www service bandwidth". And it shows you where to do
that, and yes, I did, indeed, find the checkbox of which it speaks.

I am getting the following message whenever I forward a message from OE to a
user, me on a client computer. I am sending from the server. "The
connection to the server has failed. Account:
'obts01.outlookbythesound.MukWoods', Server:
'obts01.outlookbythesound.MukWoods', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E" That looks suspiciously
like your error message, but, since nothing else is happening on the server,
generally, when I am sending the message--certainly there is nobody using a
web site--I can't believe it has anything to do with bandwidth throttling.
My message, which is a forward of an OE message, does get through. So
something isn't being reported correctly. But I have no idea what. One
should probably ask in the OE newsgroup.

Hollis Paul

"Tommy Nguyen" <tommybo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Tommy Nguyen

Apr 6, 2004, 11:35:57 AM4/6/04
Thank you!

"Ray Fong [MSFT]" <ray...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tommy Nguyen

Apr 6, 2004, 11:35:25 AM4/6/04
Hollis,

Thank you for the reply and the help. I did find the bandwidth throttling
option and it was already disabled. This leads me to beleive that bandwidth
throttling does not have anything to do with my problem of inability to
connect to POP3 server. For now I will leave the throttling option as is,
disabled.

I don't think the OE newsgroup will help with my problem, I do think my
problem is within POP3 server or ISA. Also I am unable to telnet to port
110 on my server in the command prompt. This newsgroup is near the last of
my resources for help. I hope someone can shed some light on this.

"Hollis Paul [MVP - Outlook]" <Hol...@outhousebythesound.com> wrote in
message news:OZaX8U4G...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Hollis Paul [MVP - Outlook]

Apr 6, 2004, 2:31:09 PM4/6/04
Well, going back to your original question, where you get a message saying
that your connection is unexpectedly terminated, and we ignore the
suggestion of the possible cause, then we have similar complaints. The
difference is that my connection is unexpectedly terminated when I attempt
to connect to the msnews.microsoft.com new server. I haven't found any
leads yet, but have to do taxes now.

Hollis

"Tommy Nguyen" <tommybo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Apr 6, 2004, 3:42:32 PM4/6/04
At the server, if you "telnet localhost 110", are you getting a blanking
cursor?
At the server, run netstat -an | find ":110", are you getting anything?
Is "Microsoft Exchange POP3" service running?

Kevin Gibson

Apr 6, 2004, 4:54:58 PM4/6/04
I have the same issue on 2 servers and when I run this command on both I see
the following:

0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

"Ray Fong [MSFT]" <ray...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hollis Paul [MVP - Outlook]

Apr 6, 2004, 5:03:47 PM4/6/04
That was an interesting experiment. When I first tried telnet localhost
110, it did not connect. So I opened the Sirvices Manager and looked at the
POP3 Connector service, which I thought you were speaking about. It was
running. Then I happened to look at the other POP3 service, and it was
disabled!! How could that be? In any case, I enabled it, set it to
automatic, and started it. I then forwarded a message to the client
computer, and it arrived without an error appearing. You apparently nailed
that one, Ray. But why would that service be disabled out of the box? I
gather that Exchange doesn't use it, because POP3 mail, from internet
locations, has been appearing in the mailboxes.

Thanks again Ray.

Hollis

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Apr 6, 2004, 11:36:49 PM4/6/04
POP3 Service is disabled by default.

829623 Default Services That Are Installed in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829623

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

Ray Fong [MSFT]

Apr 6, 2004, 11:52:08 PM4/6/04
Check the properties of Default POP3 Virtual Server in Exchange.
IP Address should be All Unassigned. Under the Access tab, Authentication
should have Basic, and Simple Authentication.
For the Connection, it needs to be All except the list below and nothing on
the list.

Ray Fong
Microsoft SBS Product Support

>Ray,
>
>Thanks for the response. After "telnet localhost 110", the command window
>immediately closes.
>
>After entering netstat -an | find ":110", it lists:
>TCP 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0
>Listening
>TCP 192.168.16.2:3166 192.168.16.125:1108 Established
>
>Thanks again for the help.
>
>Tommy

Tommy Nguyen

Apr 7, 2004, 12:39:55 PM4/7/04
Ray,

I verified the settings that you suggested and am still getting the same
problems. I ran a netstat -an | find ":110" and a telnet port 110 getting
the same results. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Tommy