Remote Connection Disk

reballdad

Jun 29, 2005, 12:05:05 PM6/29/05
I can create the Remote Connection Disk to floppy for VPN setup. However,
when I try to install it on a XP Pro laptop I get the following error
message. "Extracting file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low
disk space for swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file." I have tried to
different computers with the same result. Any ideas?

CO-DBA-SC-EL

Jun 30, 2005, 12:04:24 AM6/30/05
Floppies are notoriously unreliable. Try another floppy (from a different
batch).

"reballdad" <reba...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Crina Li (MSFT)

Jun 30, 2005, 4:21:15 AM6/30/05
Hi Reballdad,

Thank you for posting in SBS newsgroup.

From your description, I understand you have encountered error "Extracting

file failed. It is most likely caused by low memory (low disk space for

swapping file) or corrupted Cabinet file." when you use Remote Connection
Disk on Windows XP. If I have misunderstood your concerns, please do not
hesitate to let me know.

As I know, the problem may be caused by the corrupted files advpack.dll and
cmstp.exe? Please try the following:

1. Extract advpack.dll and cmstp.exe from SBS CD1:

expand CD1\i386\advpack.dl_ advpack.dll
expand CD1\i386\cmstp.ex_ cmstp.exe

2. Reboot the server to Safe Mode.
3. Put the new advpack.dll and cmstp.exe to System32 and System32\dllcache
folder.
4. Boot back to normal mode.
5. Delete Inetpub\Remote\SBSPackage.exe and ClientApps\Connection
Manager\SBSPackage.exe
6. In Server Management Console\To Do List, run Configure Remote Access.
7. Download and install the new SBSPackage.exe again.

If it does not work, please help me confirm the following information?

1. Does the issue occur to all XP clients?
2. On an SBS LAN client running Windows XP, can you run the disk?
3. On one of the "problematic" remote clients, go to
https://publicFQDN/remote, clear "I'm using a public or shared computer",
log in and download Connection Manager. Can you install Connection Manager
on that remote client?

Thanks for your time and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?cmViYWxsZGFk?= <reba...@discussions.microsoft.com>
| Subject: Remote Connection Disk
| Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:05:05 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

reballdad

Jun 30, 2005, 2:10:04 PM6/30/05
Crina Li,

Thanks for your reply. I followed your instructions, however it still gives
me the error message when I run the remote configuration disk from my XP
laptop. Any other ideas?

reballdad

Crina Li (MSFT)

Jul 1, 2005, 5:46:12 AM7/1/05
Hi Reballdad,

Thanks for your reply.

Would you please help me confirm if you have replaced the files in Safe
mode and the files in system32 and dllcache do not say 1979 as the creation
date?

If it is still 1979, you may need to do follow the steps strictly:

1. Extract advpack.dll and cmstp.exe from SBS CD1 to the hard disk

expand CD1\i386\advpack.dl_ advpack.dll
expand CD1\i386\cmstp.ex_ cmstp.exe

2. Verify the created date on the files is not set to 12/31/1979 before
continuing.
3. Open Command Prompt window, and then type the following commands:

rename c:\windows\system32\dllcache\advpack.dll *.old
rename c: \windows\system32\dllcache\cmstp.exe *.old
rename c:\windows\system32\advpack.dll *.old
rename c: \windows\system32\cmstp.exe *.old

4. Copy the extracted advpack.dll and cmstp.exe to the folder Dllcache and
System32.
5. Reboot the machine.
6. Verify the created date on the files is not set to 12/31/1979 before
continuing.
7. Delete Inetpub\Remote\SBSPackage.exe and ClientApps\Connection
Manager\SBSPackage.exe
8. In Server Management\To Do List, run Configure Remote Access.
9. Download and install the new SBSPackage.exe again.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crina Li (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

--------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?cmViYWxsZGFk?= <reba...@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Subject: RE: Remote Connection Disk
| Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 11:10:04 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

reballdad

Jul 1, 2005, 9:02:02 AM7/1/05
Crina Li,

Thanks for the reply. I followed your directions. Your most recent
directions with step 3 I will try.

Crina Li (MSFT)

Jul 3, 2005, 9:26:05 PM7/3/05
Hi Reballdad,

Thanks for your update.

After performing the steps, please let me know the result at your earliest
convenience.

Thanks for your time again.

Best Regards,

Crinal