RE: OWA Login Problem

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Mar 28, 2006, 2:40:06 AM3/28/06
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup.

From your description, I understand the issue to be: users can not login
the OWA site from internet with the error message "You could not be logged
on to Outlook Web Access. Ensure that your user name and password are
correct, and then try again." If I am off base, please don't hesitate to
let me know.

Let us follow below steps to trouble shoot the issue:

- Do you have Exchange 2003 SP1 installed?

- Does the issue happen in LAN? Please log on domain with a regular domain
user account, then try to logon OWA site using URL:
https://servername/exchange, what is the result?

- How you create domain users? Please try to add user account with Add User
Wizard and then test the issue, what is the result? If it fails, please add
the user account to the Administrators group and then test, does the issue
still occur?

- Is OWA enabled for the users? To verify this, go to Server Management,
Users, User Properties, Exchange Features and OWA under Protocols.

- Are the users restricted to log on to only specific workstations? To
check this, go to Server Management, Users, User Properties, Account and
Log on to. If it is set to "The following computers", change it to "All
computers" and have a try.

- If you disable Forms Based Authentication, does OWA works internally?

To disable Exchange Forms Based Authentication:

1. Open Exchange System Manager.
2. Expand Server, <server name>, Protocols, HTTP
3. Right-click Exchange Virtual Server, Properties. Settings tab.
4. Uncheck Enable Forms Based Authentication. Click OK.
5. Go to a command prompt, type "iisreset" and press ENTER.

- Do you have 831464 installed? After it is installed, make sure you clear
%windir%\IIS Temporary Compressed Files, IE cache as well as ISA cache if
you are using SBS 2003 premium.

Detailed steps:

1. Download and apply the 831464 update:

831464 FIX: IIS 6.0 Compression Corruption Causes Access Violations
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=831464

2. Clear the cached, compressed copy of the affected files on the SBS
server:

A. Clear the IIS server files:

*. Go to your %windows%\IIS Temporary Compressed Files directory
*. Select all of the content in this directory and delete it.

B. Go to a command prompt, type "iisreset".

3. If you have ISA installed on the SBS server, take the following steps to
clear the ISA cache.

A. Stop the Web Proxy service.
B. Locate the Urlcache folder.
C. From the multiple files in this folder, locate the *.cdat file in this
folder.
D. Delete the *.cdat file.
E. Start the Web Proxy service.

Related Knowledge Base article:

301471 How to Delete the Web Cache on Internet Security and Acceleration
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301471

4. You should also delete the cached files on the client to make sure that
the corrupted files from the cache are not used. To do so, follow these
steps:

A. In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu .
B. Click the General tab, and then click Delete Files.
C. Click OK.

Hope above information helps! I am happy to be of assistance to you and
look forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<Stephe...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: OWA Login Problem
>Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:56:02 -0800
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>
>I can access OWA (the opening page) over the Internet fine, but we keep
>getting an error message when anybody tries to login.
>
>We access OWA via: https://mail.domain.com/exchange and get the following
>message.
>
>"You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Make sure your
>domain\user name and password are correct, and then try again."
>
>I know we have the correct login information... Any Ideas and any help is
>appreciated.
>
>--
>Stephen Grote

markr...@yahoo.com

Apr 23, 2006, 8:51:23 PM4/23/06
Jenny,

I have the same problem with users accessing OWA.

They receive the following error message after entering their username
and password,"You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Ensure
that your user name and password are orrect, and then try again."

I have created all users via the add user wizzard using the mobile user
template. They receive the message internally and externally when
attempting to access OWA. The only point I have found is if I add them
to the Domain Admins group - they are then able to access OWA
internally and externally successfully. I have not made any changes to
the install of SBS2003 - using most all of the defaults.

Any suggestions - I have been pulling my hair out for a few weeks.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Mark
(markr...@yahoo.com)

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Apr 24, 2006, 6:21:22 AM4/24/06
Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting here.

From your description, I understand that you have similar problem with the
post. However different issues may have different root causes, I would like
to suggest that you create a new thread to post your question. We recommend

you post different incidents in different threads to keep the thread clean.
In doing so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.

And other partners who the newsgroups regularly can either share their
knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Also, this is to make
sure that the responders can better track the problem. Thank you for your
understanding.

You can visit SBS newsgroup in the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/server/sbs.mspx

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,