Outlook, no permission to logon

1 view

Attila Csokai (@)

Apr 12, 2006, 3:34:52 PM4/12/06
Running SBS Premium, Outlook 2002.
When a user tries to open Outlook, she gets a message that "You do not have
permission to logon". Now, if I go into the profile and set network
authentication to "none" she gets prompted for her username domain and
password. When I enter all three, the user is logged into Outlook right
away.

This started happening just last week. Any ideas what can cause this? No
other network access problems exsist.

Thanks,

A...

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Apr 13, 2006, 3:36:40 AM4/13/06
Hi Attila,

Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup.

From your description, I understand the issue to be: one user can not open
Outlook and received error message "You do not have permission to logon".
If I am off base, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Let us perform some tests to isolate the issue:

1. Does the issue happen on the specific user? Please test the issue on all
other workstations and let me know the result. Also please try to logon the
problematic user to another computer to open outlook, what is the result?

2. Please create a new profile on the workstation to test the issue, what
is the result? Please refer to the KB 287072 article to create new profile:

How to create a new e-mail profile for Outlook 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q287072

3. How you set network authentication to "none"? Can you capture a screen
shot of this? Also please help me capture a screen shot when you input
domain, username and password.

4. Have you installed any firewall or antivirus application on the server
or on the workstation?

I appreciate your time. I am happy to be of assistance to you and look
forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "Attila Csokai" <acsokai((@))gtnconsultig.com>
>Subject: Outlook, no permission to logon
>Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:34:52 -0400
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Apr 14, 2006, 3:16:28 AM4/14/06
Hi Attila,

Thanks for your update.

For current situation, let us perform the following steps to resolve the
issue:

Step 1: Clear all the cached passwords on the workstation:
============================
Based on my research, it is possible that the system caches an incorrect
password for the user that causes the issue.

1. On the Windows XP machine, click Start->Control Panel.
2. Click User Accounts.
3. In the Advanced tab, click "Manage Passwords" and remove all the cached
passwords.
4. Test the issue again.

Step 2: Check the client's setting
=============================
Please check the RPC_Binding_Order registry value on the machine.

The RPC_Binding_Order entry is created when you install the Outlook client
or Exchange Server, and it determines the protocol sequence used to
communicate. You can find this entry in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\Exchange Provider

By default, Rpc_Binding_Order contains the following value data:
ncalrpc,ncacn_ip_tcp,ncacn_spx,ncacn_np,netbios,ncacn_vns_spp.

Please move ncacn_ip_tcp to the first and test the effect.

Step 3: Restore missing RPC registry values
====================================
To restore missing RPC registry values on the client, please follow these
steps.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Rpc\ClientProtocols
Verify that all entries are present and correct by referring to the
following values.

By default, ClientProtocols contains the following entries for TCP/IP:

String Value Name Value data
----------------------------------
ncacn_np rpcrt4.dll
ncacn_ip_tcp rpcrt4.dll
ncadg_ip_udp rpcrt4.dll
ncacn_http rpcrt4.dll

4. If any values are missing, add the missing values. To do this, follow
these steps:
a. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click String Value.
b. Type the name of the missing string value, and then press ENTER.
c. Press ENTER.
d. In the Edit String dialog box, type the missing value data in the Value
data box, and then click OK.

5. Quit Registry Editor.
6. Restart the computer.
7. Test the issue again.

Please test and let me know the result. I appreciate your time!

Have a nice weekend!

Sincerely,