"Changes to the Rule could not be saved." When attempting to save an auto-reply template.

Alex

Dec 14, 2005, 3:33:23 PM12/14/05
Hello. I have read this KB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;903289&spid=2520&sid=global

I receive the message "Changes to the rule could not be saved." when I
attempt to save a Auto-Reply template. I have done everything in the
KB article, and it still says that. Any ideas?

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Dec 15, 2005, 2:56:50 AM12/15/05
Hi Alax,

Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup!

I would like to confirm the issue as: you got error massage" "Changes to
the rule could not be saved.", when you follow KB article 903289: To
configure a "Reply with Template" rule for a public folder in Outlook 2003.
If I am off base, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Let"s perform some tests to isolate the issue:

1. Please try to add a "Forward (TO)" rule to this Public Folder, and see
if it can be successfully saved.

2. Examine the Permission settings:

A). Check the Public Folder to ensure the current user has the "Owner"
permission:

Right click the Public Folder-> Click Properties-> Click Permissions->
Check the Permission Settings.

B). Check Exchange Permission settings:
----------------------------
1) In the Exchange Console, expand Administrative Groups-> <Group Name>->
Folders-> Public Folders-> <Folder Name>.

2) Right click the folder and click Properties. In the Permissions tab,
check the three permission settings. Specifically:

- Client permission is similar to the Outlook View. Verify it is correctly
configured here.
- Check Directory Rights and make sure this user account can write to it.

C). Check Outlook Permission settings

D). Used ADSI Edit to navigate to the public folder object under. For your
information, ADSI Edit can be installed from Windows Support tools:

CN=<Public Folder Name>,CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=hill,DC=com

and add the user to the folder object with "Full Control". There was a
"Send As" permission listed there explicitly and was selected when we
selected "Full Control".

After verified them, please try to test again to see if the issue be fixed.

3. Use the current user account to create a new Public Folder, and see if
the "Reply with (Template)" rule can be added to this folder. This allows
us to know if this is a Public Folder issue.

4. Use another user to logon Outlook, and create a rule on a new Public
Folder. This allows us to know if this is a user issue.

5. I still recommend you "Enable Diagnostic Logging". Which error message
is logged when the client is refused to save the Rule?

I appreciate your time! I am happy to be assistance of you and look forward
to your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "Alex" <al...@americollect.com>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
>Subject: "Changes to the Rule could not be saved." When attempting to save
an auto-reply template.
>Date: 14 Dec 2005 12:33:23 -0800

Alex

Dec 15, 2005, 9:09:06 AM12/15/05
I added the user to the Administrative Rights security with Full
Control and that seemed to save it. I thought I had done that
yesterday.

Thanks Jenny.

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Dec 15, 2005, 10:04:03 PM12/15/05
Hi Alax,

Thanks for your update! I am glad to know that thing is getting well in
your side. I appreciate your time and efforts to test my suggestions and
get the issue resolved.

Your process to grant a user account Send As permissions may be blocked by
some application. You can try to add another user account to test:

To grant a user the Send As permissions for a public folder, follow these
steps:

1. Start Exchange System Manager, and then locate the public folder.
2. Right-click the public folder, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Permissions tab, and then click Directory rights.
4. Add the user who you want to grant Send As permissions to, and then
click the user in the Name list.
5. In the Allow column of the Permissions list, click to select the Send As
check box.
6. Click Apply, and then click OK.
7. Right-click the public folder that you created, and then click
Properties.
8. Under Exchange Advanced, click to clear the hide from Exchange address
lists check box.
9. Type a name for the alias in the simple display name box.
10. Click OK.

Also I would like to introduce you take a look at the following article:

Users Cannot Send Messages as a Public Folder After You Grant "Send As"
Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331655/

Please feel free to post back when you need further assistance on this
issue and you are always welcome-)!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,