Schduled Backup no longer working

GregInTrouble

Sep 20, 2007, 6:26:01 AM9/20/07
From my Server Managemet page, when I click on Backup I get the following
error;
"The page cannot be displayed
A problem has occurred with the Manage Small Business Server Backup snap in.
Close and re-open Server Management. If this problem continues, restart the
IIS Admin Service. "

I believe this is because I removed the default BackUp scheduled task from
the Scheduled Tasks list (why did I do that!) - I can get through the
Configure Backup wizard OK, but this does not resolve the problem.

I am thinking perhaps I need to reinstall a 'component' from Control Panel
-- Add Remove Programs -- but do not know where to go from here.

Can anybody help?

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Sep 20, 2007, 3:19:41 PM9/20/07
GregInTrouble wrote:

>From my Server Managemet page, when I click on Backup I get the following
>error;
>"The page cannot be displayed
>A problem has occurred with the Manage Small Business Server Backup snap
>in.
>Close and re-open Server Management. If this problem continues, restart the
>IIS Admin Service. "
>
>I believe this is because I removed the default BackUp scheduled task from
>the Scheduled Tasks list (why did I do that!) - I can get through the
>Configure Backup wizard OK, but this does not resolve the problem.

Failure of the Backup page to load in the SBS Management Console indicates
a problem in IIS. That's where you should be looking to resolve this.

Removal of the Scheduled Task that the SBS Backup wizard created is _not_
responsible.

To get the SBS BW to recreate the task, you have to use the wizard to
unconfigure SBS backup, FINISH, then rerun the wizard and configure
backups afresh.

>I am thinking perhaps I need to reinstall a 'component' from Control Panel
>-- Add Remove Programs -- but do not know where to go from here.

You need to look at the event logs for IIS related errors.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Robert Li [MSFT]

Sep 21, 2007, 12:52:59 AM9/21/07
Hello Gregln,

Thanks for posting in our newsgroup and also for Steves's input.

For the error message:

"The page cannot be displayed A problem has occurred with the Manage Small
Business Server Backup snap in. Close and re-open Server Management. If
this problem continues, restart the
IIS Admin Service. "

This issue can occur if the task "Back Up Small Business Server" is deleted
manually from Control Panel /Scheduled Tasks.

To resolve this, please take the following steps to run the SBS 2003 backup
wizard:

1. Open Server Management and then click Backup.
2. Select Configure Backup and then click Next.
3. Select the location to store the backup file and click Next.
4. Select the date included in the Backup and click Next.
5. Define Backup Schedule and click Next.
6. Configure the Storage Allocation for Deleted Files and E-mail and then
click Next.
7. Click Finish.
8. Now please check if the error in the Server Management is disappeared.
9. Click Backup Now to see the problem up is successfully.

If this doesn't work, please check the Virtual Directory Backup setting:

1. Open IIS snap-in.
2. Go to Default Web Site/Remote
3. Right click Backup and click Properties.
4. Click Virtual Directory tab.
5. Please ensure you have input proper Local Path (C:\Inetpub\Backup and
also ensure the checkbox of Read, Log Visit and Index this resource are
checked.
And also ensure Application Settings as follows:
--Application Name: Backup
--Execute Permissions: Script only
--Application Pool: DefaultAppPool
6. Click Directory Security tab.
7. Click Edit under "Authentication and access control".
8. Make sure that the option "Integrated Windows Authentication" is checked.
9. Click Edit under "IP address and domain name restriction".
10. Make sure that "Granted access" has been selected.
11. Click Edit under "Secure communications".
12. Make sure that "Require secure channel (SSL)" is unchecked.
13. On the ASP.NET tab, ensure version is 1.1.4322.

If the problem persists, please help me collect the following information
for further research:

1. What's the result when you open http://servername/backup?

2. MPS Report

1) Dwnload MPS report tool from:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
15706/MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.EXE
2) Run the MPSRPT_SETUPPerf.exe on the server box.
3) Wait for 10~15 minutes.
4) Open Windows explorer, navigate to
%SYSTEMROOT%\MPSReports\Setup\Reports\cab\
5) Send the .cab file to me.

3. IIS Metabase:

1) Download the IIS Resource Kit tools from the following page:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56FC92EE-A71A-4C73-
B628-ADE629C89499&displaylang=en
2) Install it, run MBExplorer (Metabase Explorer)
3) Right click the "LM" node and choose "Export to file".
4) Specify a file name, specify the password and finish the export.
5) Send the file and the password me.

Please send the information to v-ro...@microsoft.com with subject:
Schduled Backup no longer working.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
<From: =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0luVHJvdWJsZQ==?=
<GregIn...@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Subject: Schduled Backup no longer working
<Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 03:26:01 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

GregInTrouble

Sep 21, 2007, 4:56:02 AM9/21/07
Great, thanks for the response.

One other thing - the Service Pack 2 has not yet been installed on this
machine - shall I install it while this error still persists?

Regarding the options you sugegsted I try;

- Running the SBS2003 wizard did not resolve the problem;
- In the IIS snap-in, under Default Web Site/Remote there was no Backup file
to right click (lots of others, but no Backup file);

For the next range of tests;
- http://servername/backup produced the same error message as described in
my original post;
- MPS Report - this has been completed and emailed to you;
IIS Metabase - this has been completed and emailed to you;

Thanks very much for the detailed response - I appreciate your ongoing help.

Regards
Greg

Robert Li [MSFT]

Sep 24, 2007, 6:34:48 AM9/24/07
HI Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I am sorry for the delay due to the weekend.

We should check Backup Virtual Directory under Default Web Site. I am sorry
for the typo.

I researched your Metabase, the IIS settings are exactly right. In the
Application log, I find Application Error 1000, but this is not the cause
of the issue. Please try the following:

1. Click Start, point to Control Panel, point to Scheduled Tasks.
2. Under the lists of Tasks, right click "Back Up Small Business Server"
and select Properties
3. On the Task tab, verify the "Run As" option specifies NT
AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

If the problem persists, please help me collect c:\program files\Microsoft
Windows Small Business Server\Support\backupwizard.log.

I am looking forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

<thread-index: Acf8LTx4A/rZtj4MQdqksXYShYs6jg==
<From: =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0luVHJvdWJsZQ==?=
<GregIn...@discussions.microsoft.com>
<Subject: RE: Schduled Backup no longer working
<Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 01:56:02 -0700

<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

<

Robert Li [MSFT]

Sep 24, 2007, 7:51:17 AM9/24/07
Hi Robert,

Thanks for your email - because I have deleted the scheduled task, I can no
longer select it. Please see screen shot of scheduled tasks;

Also, I have attached the log file requested. Thanks for your on-going help.

Robert Li [MSFT]

Sep 24, 2007, 7:51:58 AM9/24/07
Hi Greg,

By default, this schedule task will be created automatically when you run
the wizard. Since that's missing, please create one manually.

1. Open Start/Control Panel/Scheduled Task/Add Scheduled Task. Click Next.
2. Click Browse to select Application. Input
%sbsprogramdir%\Backup\bkprunner.exe and click OK.
3. Input task name: Back Up Small Business Server.
3. Select Schedule: Default is every weekday at 11:00 P.M.
4. Input username: NT Authority\System, don't input password, click OK.
5. Rerun the SBS backup wizard and try again.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

--------------------
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
<From: v-ro...@online.microsoft.com (Robert Li [MSFT])
<Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:51:17 GMT

GregInTrouble

Sep 24, 2007, 8:50:00 AM9/24/07
Perfect thank you - that has resolved the problem.

Robert Li [MSFT]

Sep 24, 2007, 9:56:49 PM9/24/07
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I am glad to know the problem is resolved. I'd like to make a summary for
this post:

Problem: You got the following message in the Management console:

"The page cannot be displayed A problem has occurred with the Manage Small
Business Server Backup snap in. Close and re-open Server Management. If
this problem continues, restart the
IIS Admin Service. "

Cause: The scheduled Task "Back Up Small Business Server" was deleted.

Resolution: Create scheduled Task "Back Up Small Business Server"
manually.

1. Open Start/Control Panel/Scheduled Task/Add Scheduled Task. Click Next.
2. Click Browse to select Application. Input
%sbsprogramdir%\Backup\bkprunner.exe and click OK.
3. Input task name: Back Up Small Business Server.
3. Select Schedule: Default is every weekday at 11:00 P.M.
4. Input username: NT Authority\System, don't input password, click OK.
5. Rerun the SBS backup wizard and try again.

For future postings, I would like to list the following information as a
guideline when submitting new posts in the future. This information will
help us to understand the issue and situation more quickly. Thank you!

1. Has the server/client/product ever worked?
2. If so, what changed?
3. What service packs and updates were applied?
4. What are the steps to reproduce the problem?
5. Does it happen the same way on any other systems?
6. Please provide the exact error message with any screenshots, if possible.

If you need any assistance in the future, please feel free to post in our
newsgroup.

Best regards,

Robert Li(MSFT)

<From: =?Utf-8?B?R3JlZ0luVHJvdWJsZQ==?=