Remote Assistance not working

Ricky

Sep 14, 2005, 9:38:06 AM9/14/05
Hello all,

The problem I an having is the following. I have been doing countless hours
of research on this matter. Tried so many things to resolve the issue, but
nothing seems to work. What I want to do is offer remote assistance to
Workstaions within the LAN. SBS 2003 SP1 box with two NICs (Internet)
(Internal)-(no ISA) XP Sp2 workstaions. When I first started researching this
issue the error when offering remote assistance was the following " The
remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable" Changing the policy
on the targeted Workstation start>run>type gpedit.msc located the offer
remote assistance enable>show and type in users able to offer help fixes that
problem.

The problem is now that when I offer remote assistance to that computer it
communicates, becasue it gives me another box indicating the a certain user
is currently logged on would I like to help that user, when I click on the
Start Remote Assistance Button nothing happens meaning the users desktop does
not come up and on the workstation there is no prompt for a remote assistance
session.

I check the event log on that computer and found this event comming up each
time I tried to start a remote assistance session

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Remote Assistance
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5270
Date: 9/13/2005
Time: 3:15:28 PM
User: N/A
Computer: RHODE111
A remote assistance ticket has been created with duration: 0.08hrs for user
RELCLASSROOM\Ricky.

By looking at this it seems like the session is timing out before it gets
started

I have looked at all the related Offer Remote Assistance posts and Knowledge
based articles relating to this matter and still haven't totally fixed thsi
issue.

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Sep 15, 2005, 6:20:30 AM9/15/05
Hi Ricky,

Thanks for posting here!

For your description, I understand that you can not setup remote assistance
connection between XP workstations and the SBS server. If I am off base,
please don't hesitate to let me know.

Regarding to your symptom, please double check the Remote Assistance
settings as follows:

To configure the computer of the novice user to accept Remote Assistance
offers, you must make sure that the following requirements are met:

1. The Group Policy on the computer of the novice user must be configured
to enable Remote Assistance offers.
2. The computers of the novice and expert users must be members of the same
domain or members of trusted domains.
3. Both computers must have Windows XP or Windows 2003 installed.
4. The expert user must be a member of the Local Administrators group on
the computer of the novice.

I. To configure the Group Policies for the Remote Assistance tool, you need
a list of expert users from which the computers of the novice users can
accept Remote Assistance offers. This list must contain Domain User groups
and Domain User accounts.

II. Configure Offer Remote Assistance policy setting in XP workstation
1. Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Group Policy snap-in. To do
this, click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type: gpedit.msc.
Then, click OK.
2. In the Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Administrative
Templates\System\Remote Assistance folder, locate and double-click Offer
Remote Assistance.
3. On the Offer Remote Assistance Properties dialog box, click Enable.
4. Select an option from the list to determine which of the following
actions the expert users can take
** View the computer of the novice user
** View and control the computer of the novice user

*Note: This setting is for the entire group that is listed. The Offer
Remote Assistance policy setting does not provide a mechanism that lets one
group of users view the computer of the novice user, and also lets a second
group of users view and control the computer of the novice user. There can
be only one expert group.

5. Click Show. The Show Contents dialog box opens.
6. Click Add to add the Domain Users and Domain User Groups.
7. Click OK to close the Show Contents dialog box, and then click OK to
close the Offer Remote Assistance Properties dialog box.
8. Quit the MMC Group Policy snap-in.
These policies are effective immediately. You do not have to restart the
computer.

***Important: Use caution when you populate the properties of the Offer
Remote Assistance Group Policy because you cannot verify the domain
accounts that you enter. We recommend that you extensively test this policy
setting before you perform a large policy roll out.

*Note: The Offer Remote Assistance policy is not available in Microsoft
Windows XP Home Edition.

*Note: Remote Assistance uses DCOM. In Windows XP and Windows 2003, the
DCOM entry is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
The String value of the DCOM entry is EnableDCOM = Y. If this value is set
to 'N' or if this value is missing, Remote Assistance will not work.

III. Configure Windows Firewall for offer-based Remote Assistance in XP
workstation

To update your Group Policy objects with the new Windows Firewall settings,
follow these steps:
1. Log on to your Window XP SP2-based computer as a member of the Domain
Administrators security group, of the Enterprise Administrators security
group, or of the Group Policy Creator Owners security group.
2. Click Start, click Run, type mmc, and then click OK.
3. On the File menu, click Add/Remove Snap-in, click the Standalone tab,
and then click Add.
4. In the Available Standalone Snap-ins list, click Group Policy Object
Editor, and then click Add.
5. In the Select Group Policy Object dialog box, click Browse.
6. In Browse for a Group Policy Object, click the Group Policy object that
you want to update with the new Windows Firewall settings, and then click
OK.
7. Click Finish to complete the Group Policy Wizard.
8. In the Add Standalone Snap-in dialog box, click Close.
9. In the Add/Remove Snap-in dialog box, click OK.
10. In the console tree, expand Computer Configuration, expand
Administrative Templates, expand Network, expand Network Connections, and
then click Windows Firewall.
11. Use the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in to locate Windows Firewall
Group Policy settings. To do this, click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc
in the Open box, and then click OK.

*Note: The Group Policy settings are located in the following Group Policy
Object Editor folders:
o Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Network
Connections/Windows Firewall
o Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Network
Connections/Windows Firewall/ Domain Profile
o Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Network
Connections/Windows Firewall/ Standard Profile

12. For each snap-in path that you located in step 11, add the following
entry to the Windows Firewall: Define port exceptions setting:

135:TCP:*:Enabled:Offer Remote Assistance

13. For each snap-in path, add the following entries to the Windows
Firewall: Define program exceptions setting:

o %WINDIR%\SYSTEM32\Sessmgr.exe:*:Enabled:Remote Assistance
o %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\Helpsvc.exe:*:Enabled:Offer Remote
Assistance
o %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\Helpctr.exe:*:Enabled:Remote
Assistance - Windows Messenger and Voice

After you have configured properly, try to test, how is the result?

If the issue persists, let use do some tests to isolate the issue:
1. Please try to disable all firewalls included Microsoft basic firewall
and third party firewall and Anti-virus applications installed in server
side and XP workstation side, try to test again, how the result?

2. Please perform a Clean Boot. A Clean Boot will allow us to isolate any
device drivers or programs that are loading at startup that may be causing
a conflict with other device drivers or programs that are installed in your
computer.

1) Run MSCONFIG.EXE.
2) In the Services tab, click "Hide All Microsoft Services" and click
"Disable All".
3) In the Startup tab, click "Disable All". Click OK. (This will
temporarily prevent third-party programs from running automatically during
start-up.)
4) Restart the computer and check whether the problem still persists.

If the problem does not occur, it indicates that the problem is related to
one application or service we have disabled. You can use the MSCONFIG tool
again to re-enable the disabled item one by one to find out the culprit.

More information:
Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP

Supported connection scenarios for Remote Assistance
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301529

300692 Description of the Remote Assistance Connection Process
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300692

I appreciate your time and efforts to perform test. I am looking forward to
your reply!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?Umlja3k=?=" <Ri...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Remote Assistance not working
>Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 06:38:06 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Quinton Ceasar

Oct 12, 2005, 2:49:05 AM10/12/05
Hi Guys

I am experiencing problems with the Remote boot test,can anyone perhaps
assist me ,With regards to the GUID - do u know if this is assigned via ADS?
When the pxe test starts, it gathers the mac address and GUID (I'm
assuming off the nic) but it remains as
FFFFFFFFF-FFF-FFF-FFFFFFFFF
Is there a manual way of assigning it? without the need for ADS (if
issued by it)

--
Quinton Ceasar

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Oct 12, 2005, 7:59:48 AM10/12/05

Thanks for posting here!

For your description, I understand that you have some concern regarding to
remote boot using ADS. For ADS is a new Pre-boot Execution Environment
(PXE)-based deployment technology that runs on Windows Server 2003
Enterprise Edition, I suggest you post the question on the Windows 2003
newsgroup. The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will
get the most dedicated pool of respondents, and other partners who the
newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your
interaction with us. Also, this is to make sure that the responders can
better track the problem Thank you for your understanding.

You can visit the following link to Windows 2003 newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/default.mspx

However, I would like to give you some information about ADS and hope it
helpful to you.

The GUID should be the Nic's Mac address plus 0, such as
0000000xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is Mac address).

For more information, the following links may be useful to you.

Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Operating System Setup and
Deployment
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/setupdeply
_faq.mspx

824184 How to set up Automated System Recovery on a Windows Server
2003-based
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=824184

825037 ADS Device Stops Responding and a "Query Controller for Boot-Policy"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825037

I am happy to be assistance of you!

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

>thread-index: AcXO+QmHcp/fPA82S++72gnNw3f8zA==
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?UXVpbnRvbiBDZWFzYXI=?=" <quin...@aquila.co.za>
>Subject: RE: Remote Assistance not working
>Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:49:05 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Sean Vreeland

Jan 3, 2006, 1:27:03 PM1/3/06
Jenny,

I'm having the same issue as originally described by Ricky.

I've been doing the things described by you in your reply to Ricky.

However, I'm confused on something, you said:
"*Note: Remote Assistance uses DCOM. In Windows XP and Windows 2003, the
DCOM entry is located in the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole
The String value of the DCOM entry is EnableDCOM = Y. If this value is set
to 'N' or if this value is missing, Remote Assistance will not work."

This registry key exists on the SBS 3003, but not on the workstation, should
it be present on the workstation, or just on the SBS?

Thanks,

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 4, 2006, 4:11:57 AM1/4/06

Thanks for posting here.

The registry key entry "EnableDCOM = Y" should be also showed on the
Windows XP workstation. If it is missing, please manually add it to the
appropriate location (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole).

Note: Only Windows XP OS and Windows 2003 have the remote assistance
feature. Please strictly follow my previous post steps to setup remote
assistance connection.

I am happy to be assistance to you!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

<SeanVr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: RE: Remote Assistance not working
>Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:27:03 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Joe-Al

Jan 10, 2006, 12:25:04 PM1/10/06
Jenny,
I have tried these settings you recommend with no results. I have also
noticed that SBS sets these same settings by default through a policy setting
specifically for Remote Assistance, that I believe is applied across the
domain to computers on the network.

Here is a additional issue.

I have yet to get the offer remote assistance to work when launched from the
System Management console 'offer remote assistance' from the server. It does
work using the client to server, just not server to client.

If, however, the Novice user requests an remote assistance FILE invitation
and saves it to the server, I am ABLE to offer remote assistance using the
invitation FROM THE SERVER to workstation no probs. I just can do it from the
Server Management console by entering a workstation name. It errors saying
the Adminsitrator it not allowing this!

Sean Vreeland

Jan 10, 2006, 1:59:06 PM1/10/06
Jenny,

I have checked to see if the workstations have DCOM key, and they do, but
I'm still having problems. After I request a remote assistance connection
from the Server, nothing happens on the server side, however on the
workstation side, all I get is an event in the even log saying:
"A remote assistance ticket has been created with duration: 1.00hrs for user
HBH\Administrator."

I have attempted to follow all of your directions listed below with no
result. Any more suggestions?

Sean Vreeland

Jan 10, 2006, 2:01:09 PM1/10/06
Joe,

How do you request from client to server? Using Windows Messenger or MSN
Messenger?

ALso, I have tried to use the FILE meathod, but when I double click on the
file on the server, it does nothing. Nothing in the event logs.

Joe-Al

Jan 10, 2006, 2:53:02 PM1/10/06
Just to clarify, I removed all the suggested settings on MY WORKSTATION that
had been recommended by Jenny because of their presence in the SBS Default
Server Policy 'New Small Business Server Remote Assistance Policy' (already
being applied)

The method I described is:
I create an invitation using: Start,, Help & Support,, Ask a friend,, Invite
someone,, Save invitation to FILE,, 1hr,, Password,, SAVE file to Server
Public directory.

I then use my SBS Domain admin logon to run the invitation file, and walla
walla washingtion, Im connected. That's it.

The real question is why this cumbersome process does NOT work using the
Server Management console as promised but does work via file invitation? It
must be some wacky workstation policy on the server that is preventing
access. This is will ALL my workstations who have been registered with SBS.
Hmmm

Sean Vreeland

Jan 10, 2006, 4:46:04 PM1/10/06
Well, I did everything Jenny had described and I still can't get the damn
thing to work in any meathod. I think it really is a problem with some
setting on my server.

Sean Vreeland

Jan 10, 2006, 5:25:03 PM1/10/06
Okay, I think I have gotten close to the problem. I can send and receive
remote assistance requests to and from workstations ONLY. I cannot send or
receive request from the SBS. I tried it in MSN messenger to and from the
server and the remote assistance never launches. Could there be a problem
with the actual program itself?

Joe-Al

Jan 10, 2006, 8:19:01 PM1/10/06
I am NOT using MS Mess. or IM for my remote assistance sessions. I seem to
remember suggestions NOT to run IM on the SBS server. IM workstation to
workstation is an option, but I tend to prefer to avoid promoting this
outside the internal network.

There have been a couple times, including support sessions with Microsoft,
where rerunning the Internet connection wizard from the System Management
console on the SBS has resolved issues. Of course you should ALWAYS take care
if this is a production system!

I have also renamed my admin account. This also may be a reason why I cannot
OFFER remote assistance from Server to workstation from the System Management
console. I have seen other instances where this has caused me pain.

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 11, 2006, 5:25:36 AM1/11/06
Hi Joe and Sean,

Thanks for your update.

Let's perform the following test to see if it helps.

I. Please Re-run CEICW to refresh network connection. You can refer to the
KB 825763 to configure the network connection:

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

II. Please check the following settings on the server box:

Right click "My computer"-->Properties-->click "Remote" tab-->please ensure
check the "Turn on Remote Assistance......" box.

III. Please check if the SBS server box is using Shadow console session
mode.

a. Open the Group Policy snap-in (Gpedit.msc).
b. In the left pane, under the Computer Configuration branch, expand the
Administrative Templates branch.
c. Expand the Windows Components branch.
d. Click the Terminal Services folder.
e. In the right pane, double-click Sets rules for remote control of
Terminal Services user sessions.
f. On the Setting tab, click Enabled.
g. In the Options box, click Full Control with users'' permission, and
then click OK.

After verified above settings and then try to test the issue again. On your
own XP computer:
Start-->Run-->mstsc -v: <remote computer DNS name or IP address>
Then you will get a remote desktop logon box. Input the user name and
password, you will get a new terminal session as before.

Just take it easy. Then in the desktop session, click Start-->Run-->input
"shadow 0" (without the quotation mark) and then press enter.

After a few seconds, you will see the shadow console session as you want.
How about the result?

If the issue persists, please help me collect some information to isolate
the issue:

1. Can you access the server box using RDP connection from XP computers?
2. Please try to provide remote assistance between XP computers, how about
the result?
3. Please try to initiate a remote assistance request from the server using
file mode, how about the result? Please also check if the IP address is
correct in the created invite file.

I appreciate your time!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu

>thread-index: AcYWTQFP4xBDG22dRGefZl0J/nVCig==
>From: =?Utf-8?B?Sm9lLUFs?= <Jo...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: RE: Remote Assistance not working
>Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:19:01 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Sean Vreeland

Jan 11, 2006, 6:30:02 PM1/11/06
Jenny,

1. I re-ran the CEICW, with no change to my problem.

2. All computer have the remote box checked in system properties.

3. The shadow console session worked.

a. Yes, I can access the server box with RDC from any workstation.

b. Yes, remote assistance between XP workstations is successful.

c. When I try to initiate a remote assitance connection using the file
mode, the server does nothing, I double click on the file, and nothing
happens. I check the event log and I don't see anything.

Jenny, it seems as if the remote assistance "program" is just not working on
the server box. It's as if it is just missing.

Any suggestions?

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 11, 2006, 10:57:57 PM1/11/06
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your update.

What is your SBS version? SBS 2003 or SBS 2003 SP1? Have you installed ISA?
What is the version?

Let's check the following settings:

I: To allow anonymous remote access in DCOM:

1. From the Start menu, click Run and type Dcomcnfg.exe.
2. In Component Services, click Console root, click Component Services,
click Computers, and then click My Computer. On the Action menu, click
Properties.
3. In the My Computer Properties dialog box, on the COM Security tab, in
the Access Permissions section, click Edit Limits.
4. In the Access Permissions dialog box, grant Anonymous Logon allow
Remote Access.

II: Change the security policy for the client computer so that Local
Policies\Security Options\Network Access: Let Everyone permissions apply to
anonymous users is set to Enabled. This security policy can be set through
Active Directory Group Policy or local security policy.

1. Open Secpol.msc at the Run line.
2. Security setting >> Local Polices >> Security Options
3. Enable -- Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous
users.

THIS IS SET IN GROUP POLICY AND MUST BE CHANGED THERE BUT FERREL and I BOTH
AGREE
THIS IS NOT AN OPTION AS IT MAKES THE SYSTEM INSECURE AND WILL NOT BE
IMPLEMENTED
IN PRODUCTION.
4. Requires a RE-BOOT.
Then try to test, how about the result?

More information:
You cannot offer remote assistance to a user whose computer is running
Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=884910

III. Based on my research, some cases indicate the issue caused by
3rd-party software. I suggest that you disable any 3rd-party software,
especially the Antivirus application to test. How about the result?

IV. Normally, the port 135 need to be opened to offer the remote assistance
to other computer. Please first make sure that this port is opened and not
occupied by the other, you can try to telnet server ip address 135 to see
if the port is opened or not.

Please also refer to following steps to check your SBS setting to make sure
that all the setting is correctly.

HelpAssistant user account(Remote Desktop Help Assistant Account" must be
enabled to provide Remote assistant on the client system.

- Start the "Remote Desktop Help Session Manager" service to ensure no
errors occur. Please note that the computer should not be started with the
service set to "Automatic". The service should have a startup type of
"Manual", which means it will start when needed. You can however start it
manually

- On the "Remote" tab under "System Properties" check the option "Allow
Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer"

- On the "Remote" tab under "System Properties" click "Advanced" button
then place a check next to "Allow this computer to be controlled remotely"
if you want the person helping to be able to take control over the remote
assistance session after the session is initiated.

- The policy must also allow Remote Assistance. Policy is configured under

"Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Remote Assistance".
For example, to allow any authenticated user to offer remote assistance
Enable "Offer Remote Assistance Properties", click "Show" helpers button,
Add button then type in "Authenticated users" without quotes. Other groups
and account names can be added.

If the HelpAssistant account has been removed from the permissions to the
RDP-TCP connection object then Remote Assistance will not be possible.
Unknown how customers sometime remove HelpAssistant account from RDP-TCP
connection object but it can be readded by using the following command on
the client system.

Net stop RDSessMGR
%systemroot%\system32\sessmgr -service

The following registry key should not be present or should be set to 0
otherwise
Remote Assistance will behave as Remote Desktop and log the user out.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Value name: DontDisplayLastUserName
Data type: REG_SZ

Please verify all settings and then try again, tell me the result.

For more detail information, you can refer to the following KB article:
889248 You cannot offer remote assistance to a user whose computer is
running
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=889248

I appreciate your time and efforts to the issue.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

<EB3D6B8C-7C70-4524...@microsoft.com>
<jmceglpF...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Remote Assistance not working

>Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:30:02 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Sean Vreeland

Jan 12, 2006, 1:31:04 PM1/12/06
Jenny,

I do appriciate you working on this issue with me. It's so frustrating
because at one time it worked, and now it does not.

Anyway,

My SBS is 2003 SP1, without ISA.

I. That is done, I didn't need to make any changes to the DCOM settings.

II. I changed the security policy using Secpol.msc on the client computer
and then rebooted with no change to my problem. Should I make this change on
the SBS as well?

III. Well, on the client computer I disabled all Non-microsoft services,
and on the SBS I disabled the SAV service with no change to our problem. We
do not run a third-party firewall.

IV.
a. port 135 is open, and tested using TELNET from client machine.

b. HelpAssistant user account is enabled.

c. I can start the Remote Desktop Help Session Manager without any errors.
Is there a problem with setting it to automatic?

d. Both boxes are checked under the system properties to allow remote
connection.

e. The Remote Assistance policy is set to ENABLE.

I think that is all you asked me to do.

Thanks,

Sean

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 13, 2006, 3:57:55 AM1/13/06
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your update.

Let's try to reinstall the remote assistance components on SBS 2003 server
box to test.

Click Start , click Run , type cmd , and then click OK to open a command
prompt.
Type "net stop helpsvc" (no quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
Type "cd /d windir \pchealth\helpctr"(no quotation marks), where "windir"
is the Windows folder, and then press ENTER.
Type "rd packagestore /s /q"(no quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
Type "cd binaries" (no quotation marks), and then press ENTER.
Type "start /w helpsvc /svchost netsvcs /regserver /install"(no quotation
marks)

Checked the following registry keys if they were missing i exported them
from a working server.

Missing registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{833E4001-AFF7-4AC3-AAC2-9F24C1457
BCE}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\HelpSvc.EXE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{833E4000-AFF7-4AC3-AAC2-9F24C14
57BCE}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealth

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile
\AuthorizedApplications\List

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\HelpSvc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\HelpSvc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_HELPSVC

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\He
lpSvc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\HelpCtr.EXE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\helpctr.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FC7D9E02-3F9E-11d3-93C0-00C04F72D
AF7}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FC7D9E06-3F9E-11d3-93C0-00C04F72D
AF7}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{FC7D9E08-3F9E-11d3-93C0-00C04F72D
AF7}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\HCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MsRcIncident

If the issue still exists, please also perform the steps below:

helpctr -regserver
"regsvr32 /u hhctrl.ocx"
"regsvr32 hhctrl.ocx"

Try to test and let me know the result.

I appreciate your time!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

--------------------

<9C7C484D-1CF5-4256...@microsoft.com>
<Xo4rXxyF...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Remote Assistance not working

>Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:31:04 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Sean Vreeland

Jan 13, 2006, 12:47:02 PM1/13/06
Jenny,

All of the registry keys were present, and I performed all of the actions
you requested to no avail. Anything left in your bucket of tricks?

Thanks,

_Sean Vreeland

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 16, 2006, 5:17:17 AM1/16/06
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your update.

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

Have you tried to reinstall the remote assistance components on SBS 2003
server box and then configured the remote assistance as I suggested in

If it still can not help, I would like to suggest you call our CSS via
phone so that the issue can be resolved efficiently. Since we need more
information for further analyze the issue, it is hard handle in newsgroup.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

Thanks for your understanding!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

<B825CEC9-F916-4576...@microsoft.com>
<jFWFw9BG...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Remote Assistance not working

>Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:47:02 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Sean Vreeland

Jan 16, 2006, 2:01:04 PM1/16/06
Jenny,

I did do reinstall the compents as you requested.

However, I made some changes to our server, and will be rebooting today. I
will let you know the result. If that does not resolve the issue, I will
call the CSS.

Thanks for ALL your help Ma'am!

-Sean

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 16, 2006, 10:14:24 PM1/16/06
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your understanding-)! I appreciate your time and efforts to the
issue. I am glad to be of assistance to you.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

<8023C9F4-5CE3-4366...@microsoft.com>
<1UpCLYoG...@TK2MSFTNGXA02.phx.gbl>

>Subject: RE: Remote Assistance not working

>Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:01:04 -0800

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Sean Vreeland

Jan 17, 2006, 1:30:06 PM1/17/06
Jenny, I rebooted the SBS with no sucess. I guess I will be calling in.

Thanks for all your help!

Jenny wu [MSFT]

Jan 17, 2006, 10:33:45 PM1/17/06
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your update. If possible, you can post the resolution here after
you resolved the issue so that we can share the knowledge from your
experience. Thanks you so much-)!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

<44DB4019-77BA-4A78...@microsoft.com>