Collect Server Performance Data is taking a long time

Jan-Olov Eriksson

Mar 15, 2005, 5:13:54 PM3/15/05

Does anyone know why the "Collect Server Performance Data"-task would
take extremely long time to finnish?

It seems that it's almost always running on my SBS-server. Like as if it
didn't have time to finnish up before it's scheduled to run the next time.

Would large eventlogs make it slow to finish up for instance?

Regards,
J-O

Bill Peng [MSFT]

Mar 16, 2005, 2:14:58 AM3/16/05
Hi Jan-Olov,

Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup.

Please check the Scheduled Tasks log for more info.

1. Open Scheduled Tasks.
2. Click Advanced menu and click View Log.
3. Please check whether all mssbsssr.exe terminated abnormally.

You can also open the properties of the "Collect Server Performance Data"
task, change it to a longer time:

1. Open Collect Server Performance Data Properties.
2. Click Schedule tab and click Advanced.
3. Change to "Repeat task every 2 hours" and click OK.
4. Click Settings tab and change to "Stop the task if it runs for 2 hours 0
minutes."
5. Test the issue again.

Based on my knowledge, the mssbsssr.exe will not only check the Event Logs,
but also modify the SBS monitoring database. If the result of the
monitoring is not correct and the mssbsssr.exe took high CPU or Memory
usage, I recommend you to reinstall SBS Monitoring component. If the
scheduled task always terminated unexpectedly, I also recommend you to try
these steps.

To do so:

- Uninstall the SBS Monitoring component

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. Select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and then click Change/Remove.
The Setup Wizard appears.
3. Click Next to start the wizard.
4. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
5. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server
Tools to Maintenance, change Monitoring component to Remove, and then click
Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

- Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SBSMONITORING)

In Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine
(SBSMONITORING) and then click Remove. A dialog box appears. To confirm
that you want to remove, click Yes.

- Delete Registry Keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Monitoring
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SBSMONITORING

- Delete IIS Virtual Directory

1. Open IIS, expand servername, Web Sites, Default Web Site
2. Delete Monitoring

- Rename Folders

1. Rename C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SBSMONITORING to
MSSQL$SBSMONITORING.OLD
2. Rename c:\inetpub\monitoring to monitoring.old

- Install the Monitoring component

1. In Add or Remove Programs, select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and
then click Change/Remove. The Setup Wizard appears.
2. Click Next.
3. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
4. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server
Tools to Maintenance, change Monitoring component to Install, and then
click Next.
5. On the Logon Information page, click Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

I hope the above info helps.

If you have any update, please feel free to post back.

Bill Peng
MCSE 2000, MCDBA
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

--------------------
>Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 23:13:54 +0100
>From: Jan-Olov Eriksson <jer...@newsgroup.nospam>
>Subject: Collect Server Performance Data is taking a long time
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Jan-Olov

Mar 16, 2005, 4:29:24 AM3/16/05
Thanks Bill,

I'll try to reinstall SBS monitoring, and see what happens.

J-O

> ftngp1 3.phx.gbl

Bill Peng [MSFT]

Mar 16, 2005, 5:35:06 AM3/16/05
Hi Jan-Olov,

Thank you for posting back.

Please go ahead to test all the suggestions.

If there's any update, please feel free to let me know.