Sharepoint re-install failure

Curt

Jul 22, 2004, 10:26:00 AM7/22/04
Our SBS came pre-installed by Dell. Initially all sharepoint services
were working fine. I finally found the time to start working on the
Companyweb but the browser couldn't find the home page anymore.

I used the Add Remove Programs applet to repair the Microsoft Windows
Sharepoint Services 2.0. At one point it asks for the installation
files. I browsed to the directory in the CD where STS.msi is but got the
message:

The file "w:\SBS\CLIENTAPPS\SHAREPT\STS.MSI" is not a valid installation
package for the product Microsoft Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0. Try
to find the installation package STS.msi in a folder from which you can
install Microsoft Windows Sharepoint Services 2.0.

In the Application Event Viewer I get error 11731 showing a failure of
installer, although in the description it shows as error 1731.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Curt

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Jul 22, 2004, 10:31:51 AM7/22/04
Hi Curt,

Run the setup of SBS (Add/Remove Programs, Windows Small Business Server)
and choose the maintenance mode. Reinstall intranet.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Jeff L

Jul 22, 2004, 10:39:30 AM7/22/04
Curt,

Your in deep now... the proper way to uninstall and reinstall companyweb is
through add remove programs SBS2003 > Intranet Components. The are several
KBs that will potentially help you:

How to remove and how to install the Windows Small Business Server 2003
SharePoint Services Companyweb Web site
(829114) - This step-by-step article describes how to remove and how to
install the Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services Companyweb Web site for
Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003. Remove the Windows SharePoint
Services Companyweb Web site for Windows...

You cannot successfully install the intranet component or connect to
http://companyweb in Windows Small Business Server 2003
(832880) - During the intranet component portion of Microsoft Windows
Small Business Server 2003 Setup, you may receive the following error
message: An error occurred while installing Windows SharePoint Services and
creating your Intranet site. Additionally, you...

How to back up and restore http://companyweb data in Windows Small
Business Server 2003
(829112) - This article discusses how to back up a Windows SharePoint
Services http://companyweb database in Microsoft Small Business Server 2003
and how to restore the database back to the original server. You can do the
backup and the restore operations by...

You will also want to ensure your server is properly patched as the orginal
problem was probably due to improper patching. Finally when did you buy the
server... old installs had some bad files. Consider using a consultant to
fix this issue as it is one of the more complex problems to resolve.

Jeff Loucks
Available Technology Ž
Solutions For Professionals Ž
www.availabletechnology.com

"Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

1ptrans.gif

Curt

Jul 22, 2004, 3:45:25 PM7/22/04
Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the hand. I had already read all these articles and none
helped. Our server is patched to all that came out up until yesterday
and I already had CD 3 replaced by MS. When I try to repair using the MS
SharePoint Services change in the Add/Remove applet I get the error
message I described. When I tried using the Windows Small Business
Server 2003 in maintenance mode it fails, and error log shows that I
already have a version installed that is incompatible. I believe the
problem is with a corrupt security file. Anyway I will try a couple more
things but I believe in the end I will have to remove and re-install. So
far I had more to teach consultants than to learn, so they won't help
much. Oh, well! So is life.

Thanks again,

Curt

"Jeff L" <newsgroupsremovea...@availabletech.net> wrote in
message news:eXGXAn$bEHA...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Available Technology (r)
> Solutions For Professionals (r)

Curt

Jul 22, 2004, 3:50:50 PM7/22/04
Hi Marina,

Thank you for the hint. I tried it and it failed too. Checking the
generated log file it says that I already have a version installed that
is incompatible. I guess eventually I will have to remove, install and
re-patch. Thanks anyway.

Curt

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <mar...@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in
message news:exKjii$bEHA...@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Jul 22, 2004, 4:09:55 PM7/22/04
Hi Curt,

Before you completely reinstall SBS, how about this:

From add/remove programs, sbs setup, remove intranet.
From add/remove programs, remove windows sharepoint services.
If that all went just fine, then the following:
Rename c:\inetpub\companyweb
In the registry remove the intranet key from local
machine\software\microsoft\ms windows small business server (if you want I
can look up the exact key, all doing it from memory now).
Then add/remove programs, sbs setup, reinstall intranet.

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht

Jeff L

Jul 22, 2004, 5:20:42 PM7/22/04
Curt,

I have come across this problem before. As I mentioned it is a nasty one to
fix. In some instances I have followed all the KBs and still not been able
to fix the problem, even after having removed all the Reg entries and
uninstalling IIS, Exchange and ISA, which is the required route. It is
nasty... If I were in your situation I would choose between a long call to
PSS or a complete reinstall of SBS. Sorry to say it but it comes down to
confidence in your box after your have had to uninstall and reinstall
several key features over and over again deleting registry entries along the
way.

Sorry but the truth is, on this feature, SBS is as bullet proof as swiss
cheese.

Regards,

Jeff

"Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Eric Sun [MSFT]

Jul 22, 2004, 10:39:34 PM7/22/04
Hi Curt,

Thanks for posting here.

Have you tried the suggestions by Marina to totally reinstall the sharepoint service? I list the detailed steps for your reference.

I. Uninstall Intranet

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
2. Select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and then click Change/Remove. The Setup Wizard appears.
3. Click Next to start the wizard.
4. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
5. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server Tools to Maintenance, change Intranet component to
Remove, and then click Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

II. Uninstall Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT)

In Add or Remove Programs, select Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT) and then click Remove. A dialog box
appears. To confirm that you want to remove, click Yes.

III. Delete Registry Keys

1. Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Intranet
2. Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SHAREPOINT
3. Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\Ports\Port /LM/W3SVC/4:
(Do not delete "Port /LM/W3SVC/1:" because it is FronPage Server Extension 2002 which is installed on the Default WebSite. If you
see additional "Port /LM/W3SVC/X:", backup and then remove them)

IV. Delete IIS Virtual Directory

1. Delete SharePoint Central Administration (Do Not Delete Microsoft SharePoint Administration. It belongs to FronPage Server
Extension)
2. Delete Companyweb

Note: If AV software install any extra IIS virtual directory, also remove them if possible. They sometimes use port 8081 which will
conflict with our SharePoint Central Administration virtual directory.

V. Delete Application Pool

There should be only 4 application pools (DefaultAppPool, ExchangeApplicationPool, ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool, and
MSSharePointAppPool). Besides those 4, delete all the extra.

VI. Rename Folders

1. Rename C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT
2. Rename C:\Inetpub\companyweb

VII. Install the intranet component

1. In Add or Remove Programs, select Windows Small Business Server 2003 and then click Change/Remove. The Setup Wizard
appears.
2. Click Next.
3. On the Windows Configuration page, click Next.
4. On the Component Selection page, in the Action column, change Server Tools to Maintenance, change Intranet component to
Install, and then click Next.
5. On the Logon Information page, click Next.
6. On the Component Summary page, click Next.
7. Click Finish.

VIII. The Installation should still fail, then apply the patch located at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
FamilyId=CB7E90A1-DE9D-4A83-85F8-951E9F055BF0&displaylang=en

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Eric Sun,
MCSE2000 / MSCA / MCDBA
Microsoft Partner Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------
| From: "Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Re: Sharepoint re-install failure
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:45:25 -0700

Jeff L

Jul 23, 2004, 8:27:00 AM7/23/04
Thanks Eric for posting that.

When that situation arose in the past for me I was in exactly the same
situation as Eric. I applied that exact procedure you just mentioned and
still companyweb did not reinstall properly. Can you recommend what you do
in the situation where you have uninstalled, deleted registry, renamed
database, reinstalled, all a long having had patch 832880 installed. - One
thing I did notice is that the registry keys were not recreated -

In the situation I was in I thought it was a problems with the install of
the patch and tried uninstalling and then reinstalling it. Don't try this
because that patch would not reinstall after having been uninstalled. In any
event Eric and Curt, I know that you can go through this whole procedure and
still not have a working company web. We actually took an image of that
original box and worked on solving that problem for quite some time in our
lab. Although we eventually did find some ways to get it running we
eventually felt it was better to recommend a reinstall in that situation.
Unless you have additional information Eric, I would recommend the same to
Curt.

Curt, if you do go down the path recommended by Eric please note if the
registry entries are recreated, if the database folder is recreated and if
contents exist in the folder. It would be good to have you feedback on the
results of you following this procedure. Also, do you by chance happen to be
using the MSDN version of the product which came out in May 2004?

Regards,

Jeff Loucks
Available Technology Ž
Solutions For Professionals Ž
www.availabletechnology.com

""Eric Sun [MSFT]"" <v-er...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Curt

Jul 23, 2004, 4:10:16 PM7/23/04
Hi Marina,

Sorry I didn't express myself well enough. I didn't intend to re-install
SBS, only Sharepoint. I will follow your recommendation as well as Eric
Sun's and I will post the results in that thread since there are two
people reading it.

Thanks again,

Curt

"Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]" <mar...@roos.nodontwantspam.nl.com> wrote in

message news:eCRFdfCc...@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl:

Curt

Jul 23, 2004, 4:18:05 PM7/23/04
Hi Jeff and Eric,

Jeff, I was sorry to read all the trouble you went through. I started
using Windows at version 2.0 and these fifteen years showed me that even
full re-install is not a universal solution. [At that time Gates had
e-mail in Compuserve and we even corresponded :>) ]

So I will try the partial first, if that doesn't work I will go for the
big one. This is a working server so I can't really take it off line too
often or for long periods of time. Being SBS already tells you I don't
have a cluster to pick up the slack. I will keep you informed in detail.

Eric, thank you for the procedure. I will follow it and let you know.

Regards,

Curt

message news:#thsnBLc...@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

Jeff L

Jul 23, 2004, 4:39:30 PM7/23/04
Hi Curt,

Another long in the tooth around eh! If you do have to do a full reinstall,
try doing a migration. If you need to end up back on you same box do a
double migration. This allows you to keep one server running at all times.
The companyweb and the Shared fax I have found to be weak components as far
as being able to uninstall and reinstall. They are great when they work and
most of the time they work without a flaw.

Regards,

Jeff Loucks

Available Technology Ž
Solutions For Professionals Ž

www.availabletechnology.com

"Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

David L. Leon

Jul 25, 2004, 10:52:57 AM7/25/04
And then one day Jeff L said,

Jeff -

I'm having the same issue with companyweb. I've run through the gamut of
deleting, modifying the registry, etc., still no luck. Even did a reinstall
with the new disk three in place--still no luck. I'm kind of surprised
there isn't an automated patch to do all of this for you. Anyway, let me
know if you get this to work. I'm officially stumped.

Dave

Jeff L

Jul 25, 2004, 11:33:13 AM7/25/04
Sorry David,

Was I supposed to get back to you with a fix? In any event I was not able to
track down that post you are referring to using Google groups so if you have
some feedback for me I will gladly help. If I need to post a correction to a
around the companyweb problems as we do with most persistent issues. We are
always looking for a best practices approach to any issue.

The one thing I am not sure about is if the "Add/Remove Programs > Small
Business Server > Intranet Component" procedure will consistently recreate
the required registry entries for Companyweb to run. In some cases we have
had to enter those settings manually.

We have known good media that we use when we do installs for clients and we
also apply all the required patches so we only have problems with new
clients who have installs from "OEMs". OEM companies will not be listed but
you all know who has been bad for this in the past.

Dave, if there have been any inconsistencies in my posts please point them
out to me so I can fix them. Things change very quickly and we always pick
up new techniques. Since people search this group for solutions, I would
like to be able to post current fixes but I am not able to track all of the
nearly 600 posts I have done in the last 6 months.

Regards,
Jeff Loucks
Available Technology ®

"David L. Leon" <da...@etexaslawyers.com> wrote in message

> > Available Technology ®
> > Solutions For Professionals ®

Eric Sun [MSFT]

Jul 26, 2004, 5:41:03 AM7/26/04
Hi Curt,

Thanks for your reply.

Since it is an OEM server, I think you could also involve your OEM provider for further troubleshooting. My steps will work on retail
version of SBS 2k3 system and were provided for your reference. I am not sure if it must work for your scenario. Thanks for your
understanding.

Best Regards,

Eric Sun,
MCSE2000 / MSCA / MCDBA
Microsoft Partner Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------
| From: "Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Re: Sharepoint re-install failure

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:18:05 -0700

Curt

Jul 27, 2004, 10:01:54 AM7/27/04
Hi Eric,

FYI, I'm still to know an OEM that provides any kind of service without
charging an arm and a let. That's why I have the TechNet Plus
subscription so I can count on your help.

I'll try fixing the site sometime this week and let everybody know of
the result.

Regards,

Curt

"Eric Sun [MSFT]" <v-er...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Eric Sun [MSFT]

Jul 27, 2004, 9:43:31 PM7/27/04
Hi Curt,

I understand your situation. I will my best to help you as possible as I can.

Best Regards,

Eric Sun,
MCSE2000 / MSCA / MCDBA
Microsoft Partner Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------
| From: "Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com>
| Subject: Re: Sharepoint re-install failure

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:01:54 -0700

Curt

Jul 29, 2004, 2:22:36 PM7/29/04
Success - but not without a surprise

Thank you all for your assistance and hints through this process. I was
hoping for a method that would not require the re-installation of the
intranet, and although it was not possible at this time I believe I
found the culprit to this problem.

The procedure I used was basically what Eric Sun and Marina Roos
suggested with minor differences. Jeff, in my case the registry keys
were restored through the process except that I had Port/LM/W3SVC/2 and
Port/LM/W3SVC/3 which were deleted and didn't show up again.
Port/LM/W3SVC/4 was recreated as well as all other keys and directories.
There was a wwwroot\companyweb directory which was not recreated either.

The procedure itself went without major surprises and had minor
differences compared to KB829114. I listed what I did at the end of this
message. The amazing part was what screwed it up again. I called
Companyweb in the end and the standard home page came up without a
problem. Afterwards I ran Windows Update which detected I needed
KB829358, which is a patch supposed to solve interaction problems
between Sharepoint services and its SQL database. To my surprise, after
running the update, instead of getting the standard home page I was
getting the page for the Default Web Site. Although I am using an
updated disk 3, I ran KB832880 which didn't change anything.

I than selected to reinstall the intranet (not uninstall & install, just
reinstall without removing, deleting or renaming anything else) and it
worked like a charm (the reinstall is what was failing originally). I
noticed that the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT directory was the only one affected.
The old one had a subdirectory called JOBS which is not in the new one.
The new one has a subdirectory tree called headed BINN which was not in
the old one.

Also they both have a subdirectory called INSTALL. But while the new one
has 35 files in it, the old one is empty. I believe the important
difference is in the DATA subdirectory. Except for Msdbdata.mdf and
Msdblog.ldf, all the other files were affected by the last procedure
(reinstall). My conclusion is that this problem is being generated
through SQL which is being corrupted by KB829358, which in turn is
supposed to fix these problems. I would guess that simply renaming the
MSSQL$SHAREPOINT directory and reinstalling Microsoft SQL Server Desktop
Engine (SHAREPOINT) would solve the problem.

I hope this helps someone else. Here is the revised procedure and thank
you all again.

Procedure: removing and installing sharepoint service
Type: destructive
Time required: about 80 minutes
Requirements: updated W2003 disk 3 or old disk three (before Jan.
2004) and KB832880
server must be taken off line
Risk to other OS sections: small
Recommendation: don't start it if you can't finish it in one sitting.

0:00
1 - Disconnect all server external connections like network cables and
phone.
2 - Export the following Keys (shouldn't be necessary, but just in case)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Intranet

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SHAREPOINT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server
Extensions\Ports

0:05
3 - Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows SBS 2003 >
Change/Remove > Next > Next > Change Server Tools to maintenance and
Intranet to remove > Next > Next > over 10 minutes later click Finish.

0:17
4 - Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Microsoft SQL Server
Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT) > Remove > Yes.

0:20
5 - Delete the following Keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Intranet

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SHAREPOINT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server

Extensions\Ports\Port /LM/W3SVC/X: where X is any number except for 1
(i.e. do not delete Port /LM/W3SVC/1:) Delete also the corresponding
string values.
6 - Confirm that SharePoint Central Administration and Companyweb
virtual directories were deleted.
7 - Delete any application pools other than DefaultAppPool,
ExchangeApplicationPool, ExchangeMobileBrowseApplicationPool,
MSSharePointAppPool, and pools needed for other services like PBSAppPool
if you installed the FTP service.
8 - Rename C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT and
confirm that C:\Inetpub\companyweb was deleted.

0:25
9 - Reboot

0:35
9 - Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows SBS 2003 >
Change/Remove > Next > Next > Change Server Tools to maintenance and
Intranet to install > Next > Next > over 10 minutes later click Finish.
If the installation fails apply KB832880

0:47
10 - Reboot

0:57
11 - Confirm that Companyweb is now functioning correctly
12 - IExplorer > Tools > Windows Updates > Scan for Updates > Review and
Install Updates > Install
13 - Reboot

0:67
14 - Confirm that Companyweb is not correct anymore.
15 - Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Windows SBS 2003 >
Change/Remove > Next > Next > Change Server Tools to maintenance and
Intranet to install > Next > Next > over 10 minutes later click Finish.
If the installation fails apply KB832880

0:73
16 - Reboot

0:83
17 - Confirm that Companyweb is now working correctly. Done

Kevin Weilbacher

Jul 29, 2004, 2:49:39 PM7/29/04
Curt, thanks a ton for your analysis and description. I'm sure it will make
it's way to Susan's Blog in the next day or so! [Are you listening Susan?]

--
Kevin Weilbacher [SBS-MVP]
"The days pass by so quickly now, the nights are seldom long"

"Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jeff L

Jul 29, 2004, 5:40:51 PM7/29/04
Well done Curt.

Eric Sun [MSFT]

Jul 30, 2004, 12:33:23 PM7/30/04
Hi Curt,

Thanks for taking time to let us know the detailed procedure how you successfully resovled your issue. I appreciate your time and
effort on it. And I think the information will benefit other users who are interested in SBS 2k3.

Also thanks for your information regarding KB829358. Since this issue is not reported by retail version of SBS 2k3, we could not
determine it is the problem of this criticle update. But we will continue to monitor this update and related feedback. Anyway, it is
useful.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Eric Sun,
MCSE2000 / MSCA / MCDBA
Microsoft Partner Support Professional

from your issue.

--------------------
| From: "Curt" <friend...@hotmail.com>

| Subject: Re: Sharepoint re-install failure - FINAL RESULTS

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs
| Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:22:36 -0700

Corder@discussions.microsoft.com Cliff Corder

Aug 26, 2004, 12:15:05 PM8/26/04
This sounds great but I still can't seem to figure it all out. I currently
have no files in companyweb and the registry entries never seemed to have
installed with the failure of the Intranet install. In following these great
instructions I have a problem on step 1. If I disconnect the cables I get a
message that the SBS 2003 installer will not continue. If I plug it back in
and get to the Server Tools choice screen then there is no option to remove
Intranet. It never seems to fully install. I have never been able to get
companyweb to work from any source at all. I get 404 file not found messages.

I started with a win2k server. I had it grab all of the domain
responsibilities so that SBS2003 would believe it was the first controller in
the domain. Then I went through the upgrade process. several things failed
during installation. The main one I was focused on was Exchange. I tried
various things and nothing worked. I had my othe 2k machine grab the domain
responsiblities. Then I wiped out the machine and reinstalled win2k. I
installed sql server2k and updated it to sp3a. Then had that machine grab
responsibilities. Then did the upgrade again. Things went a little better but
Exchange still didn't work. I finally found that if I did the exchange setup
with domainprep then it finally started working.

So I was happy. Then I started looking at companyweb. That's where I am now
and nothing seems to fix it. I could go through the lengthy reformat and
install process all over again but it don't have any confidence that that
will do any good. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thank you.
Cliff

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Aug 26, 2004, 3:06:51 PM8/26/04
Hi Cliff,

Sorry, but this doesn't really make sense to me at all. Can you start from
the beginning? Are you doing a fresh install or an upgrade?

--
Regards,

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

"Cliff Corder" <Cliff Cor...@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

Cliff Corder

Aug 26, 2004, 4:37:03 PM8/26/04
Hi Marina,

I have had two servers running Win2k server S1 and S2. We have a small
office and I wanted to use SBS2003 with Exchange to run our email. S1 is
currently our development server, domain controller, dinky email server, etc.
S2 is just and extra machine we recently acquired.

So the idea was to install SBS2003 on S2 and make it the domain controller
and email server. S1 would remain a development server. Since SBS must be the
head of the forest then S2 must be the head before upgrading. So I promoted
S2 and had it take control of the FSMO roles. Now it is the head. Then I
proceeded to upgrade S2 to SBS2003. During the installation of the Server
Tools, including Intranet, I received the error about "could not install
Intranet" that is addressed in MS article 832880. However, I don't get the
message about "you are not authorized to view this page." Instead, I have an
empty companyweb folder and get a 404 not found message when trying to go to
the CompanyWeb site. Various registry keys like Intranet and t he Port key
don't exist.

If I try to follow the steps to reinstall Intranet one of them says to go to
Add/Remove of SBS. Choose Maintenaince for Server Tools and Remove for
Intranet. In my case Intranet doesn't have a Remove option only an Install
option as it didn't install properly in the first place. I can't get anything
to work. It is all very frustrating. Does this help to make things clearer?

Thanks
Cliff