OMA Error 1503

Richard Young

May 27, 2006, 6:06:02 PM5/27/06
I am receiving an error when trying to access OMA:
A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try
again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.

I see event ID 1503 with the following error message:

I verified that the OMA properties has no IP address restrictions. What
else should I check to resolve this error?

Thanks!

An unknown error occurred while processing the current request:
Message: The remote server returned an error: (501) Not Implemented.
Source: Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.ExchangeDataProvider
Stack trace:
at
Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.ExchangeDataProvider.OmaWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
at
Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.ExchangeDataProvider.ExchangeServices.GetSpecialFolders()
at
Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.ExchangeDataProvider.ExchangeServices..ctor(UserInfo
user)

Message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Source: mscorlib
Stack trace:
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.InternalInvoke(BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean
isBinderDefault)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags
invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder
binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr,
Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[]
activationAttributes)
at Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.UserInterface.Global.Session_Start(Object
sender, EventArgs e)

Message: Exception of type
Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.DataProviderInterface.ProviderException was thrown.
EventMessage:
UserMessage: A System error has occurred while processing your request.
Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.
Source: Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.UserInterface
Stack trace:
at Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.UserInterface.Global.Session_Start(Object
sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.RaiseOnStart(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.CompleteAcquireState()
at System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule.BeginAcquireState(Object
source, EventArgs e, AsyncCallback cb, Object extraData)
at
System.Web.AsyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
completedSynchronously)

__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE
http://www.relyonit.com

chace zhang

May 29, 2006, 4:33:50 AM5/29/06
Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting here.

I understand that you can not access exchange via OMA. The event ID is 1503

Please perform the following steps to solve this issue:
1. Re-run the CEICW on your SBS box and ensure Outlook Mobile Access is
selected:

Click Start on your SBS server, click Server Management.
Click To Do List and then click "Connect to the Internet".
Click Next, select connection type and click Next.
Select Enable firewall and click Next.
Click Next, go through the steps until the Web Services Configuration page
shows, make sure that "Outlook Mobile Access" is selected.
Click Next, and follow the instructions to finish.

Test it again.

2 Please make sure only Basic Authentication is enabled on the /OMA virtual
directory:
- Open IIS MMC.
- Right click /OMA VD and click Properties.
- Click Directory Security tab.
- Click Edit in the Authentication section.
- Make sure only Basic Authentication is checked.

3. 2. On the SBS server, browse to http://localhost/oma, when you are
prompted to enter user name and password please use your
domainname\administrator, where domainname is your server's NetBIOS
domainname. Does the issue occur?

4. Do you enable FormsBasedAuthentication
When you try to connect to an Outlook Mobile Access Web site on an Exchange
2003 computer, you may receive the "A System error has occurred while
processing your request" error message
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=898131

If the issue persists, please collect the following info for further
research

Metabase
=======
a. Install .NET Framework Version 1.1:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-
8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en.
b. Install MBExplorer by installing IIS 6 Resource Kit Tools:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=56FC92EE-A71A-4C73-
B628-ADE629C89499&displaylang=en.
c. Once it is installed, access it from Start, Programs, IIS Resources,
Metabase Explorer.
d. In the left pane, right click ''LM'' (under your server computer name)
to choose ''Export to file'', and then save it as IIS.mbk.
e. Compress this mbk file and send it to me for analysis.

IIS logs
======
1. Open IIS.
2. Locate Default web site. Right-click it and then click Properties.
3. Click to selected Enable logging and then click properties.
4. Click Advanced.
5. Click to select every checkbox here.
6. Click OK to close these windows.
7. Reproduce this issue and send the logs to me.

NOTE: The log files are located at %systemroot%\System32\LogFiles by
default.

E-mail address: v-ch...@microsoft.com

Hope this helps, I look forward to your update.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Chace Zhang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

Richard Young

May 31, 2006, 2:32:01 PM5/31/06
Hello Chace,

Thanks for the reply.
When I type in http://localhost/oma in a web browser and use
domainname\administrator with the administrator password I still get the same
error.

CEICW shows everything checked except the business root website. I do not
use the Windows firewall, rather I use an external firewall.

Basic Authentication is the only checkbox selected for the OMA VD.

I do have forms based authentication enabled for OWA.

I will email you the logs requested.

Thank You.

--
__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE

chace zhang

Jun 1, 2006, 3:50:56 AM6/1/06
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your update.

From the IIS Metabase, I noticed all configuration in OMA and ActiveSync
virtual directories are fine; however, I noticed Exchange-oma is not
configure correctly. Please double check it.

For exchange-oma virtual directory:

1. Open IIS Manager
2. Open properties of virtual directory exchange-oma
3. Select Directory Security tab
4. Select Edit in Authentication and access control box. Make sure the
authentication setting as below:

Authentication Methods
Enabled Basic authentication
Enabled Integrated Windows authentication
Disabled anonymous access

After that, please restart the IIS Admin Service (services.msc) and then
verify the issue.

Based on my research, the issue happens when Exchange Server has multiple
Network Adapters with multiple IP Addresses. If it is the case, please
follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue.

Please disable one of the NICs and put the enabled NIC on top of the
Binding Order located in My Network Places, Properties, Advanced menu,
Advanced Settings.

After that, please verify the issue. If it persists, please continue with
next step.

The issue may happen when web.config file has been modified. Please locate
another Exchange Server with the same service pack level and copy the
web.config (default folder C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\OMA\Browse) to the
same place in this specific BE Exchange Server which will replace the
original web.config file.

After that, please verify the issue.

About you second question, in my view, it may occurred due to the
incompatible AV software with IIS. Usually, disabling antivirus/anti-spam
software will not completely prevent these software from functioning. So I
strongly suggest you temporarily UNINSTALL these software and then monitor
this particular issue for a period of time to see if it doesn't recur.
Please report back the test result with AV software temporarily
uninstalled.

Thanks! I appreciate your time and look forward to your update.

Richard Young

Jun 1, 2006, 1:40:02 PM6/1/06
Hello Chace,
Thanks for the update.
I changed the Exchange OMA VD per your instructions and did an iisreset,
although this did not solve the problem. I am still getting the "A System
error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the
problem persists, contact your administrator".

The server has only one NIC.

As for antivirus we are using Trend Micro Client Server Messaging Suite for
Small Business. This was installed from day one when the server was first
installed and worked fine up until a few weeks ago.

I did notice another error in the app log, which is referring to the version
asp.net that is running. This is event ID 1062 for source ASP.NET
1.1.4322.0. My server has .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 installed and it seems
as though both are being used when I bring up http://companyweb which throws
this error. I don't know if this has anything to do with the original issue,
but it may.

Please advise.

Thanks.

--
__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE

chace zhang

Jun 2, 2006, 4:51:23 AM6/2/06
Hi Richard,

Thanks for you update.

Based on my research, I found SBS2003/Frame work 2.0 may break OMA.

Please perform the following steps to verify it's the root cause of this
issue:

Go to IIS->Default Website
Right click on Default Website -> Properties.
Click on the ASP.NET tab and click the dropdown for ASP.NET version and
change it to 1.1.4322 and click OK.
There is no need to restart the website or IIS.

In addition, Check the third-party Exchange add-ins on the server. Based on
my experience, some third-party softwares may cause this issue, especially
for TrendMicro ScanMail. So we may try to uninstall them temporarily and
test the issue again.

XADM: Services Stop Unexpectedly After You Install Service Pack 1 While
Trend Micro ScanMail 5.0 Is Also Installed
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308600

821749 PRB: Antivirus Software May Cause IIS to Stop Unexpectedly
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821749

I can not find any error message from your IIS Logs. 1. IIS log is very
important to verify OMA, OWA and ActiveSync issue. Basically, all
OWA/OMA/ActiveSync requests are processed by IIS Admin Service and there
are three virtual directories in IIS correspond to these request as below:

1). Exchange: Contains the private mailbox stores.
2). OMA: special for Outlook Mobile Access
3). Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync: special for ActiveSync access

If you enable IIS logging, a log will record the following important
information for any OWA/OMA/ActiveSync request.

- Time of request
- Client IP Address
- What kind of request
- Which file and virtual directory IIS uses for this request
- The response IIS sent to client for this request
- The detailed error if the request fails

In short, I hope you can understand that it is extremely important for us
to troubleshoot IIS related issue. So please recollect the information
replay the issue and waiting for some time.

Thanks for your time. Hope this helps.

jp.bo...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2006, 9:42:57 AM6/6/06
Hey,

This worked for me:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=818486

JP

chace zhang

Jun 7, 2006, 4:19:08 AM6/7/06
Hi JP,

Thanks for your help.

Good idea, and I think it's worth to try.

You time and cooperation is appreciated.

Have a nice day!

Richard Young

Jun 9, 2006, 3:36:02 PM6/9/06
Hi Chace,
I disabled all of my Trend Micro Services essentially stopping all of the
Trend Micro processes and tried to call up my OMA again using
https://localhost/oma and logging in as an adminstrator. I am still
receiving the same error.

What else can I send to you to resolve this issue?

--
__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE

Richard Young

Jun 9, 2006, 3:39:01 PM6/9/06
Oh, and I also tried JP's recommendation but no change. It looks like there
are three directories 1.0 1.1 and 2.0, but I know that the VD is running 1.1
and I have since uninstalled 2.0. and restarted iis hoping that this would
have resolved the issue.

I don't think that we can blame this issue on antivirus software. This is
something that seems to be isolated to OMA. Again OWA, the default
companyweb and other sharepoint sites are all working fine. I am planning on
trying activesync in the near future so I want to make sure that we can
resolve the OMA issue completely.

Thanks for you continued assistance.

Regards,

--
__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE

chace zhang

Jun 12, 2006, 7:12:48 AM6/12/06
Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting back. I'm sorry for delay due to weekend.

Did you install CRM on your SBS box? CRM might cause some issues with OMA.
Let's try the following steps first:

1. Search for the following in the web.config in the \Program
Files\Exchsrvr\OMA\browse directory <sessionState mode="InProc"
2. Then add the following on a new line above the <sessionState
mode="InProc" line.
<pages enableSessionState="true"/>
3. Close Internet Explorer and then reconnect to OMA
(http://servername/oma).

Secondly, I would like to provide you with the following action plan:
1. Run the adapter update to see if the problem will be resolved:

a. At the server, run
CD2\EXCHSRVR65\setup\i386\exchange\OMA\Browse\dupdate.exe

b. Go to Command Prompt, type "iisreset"

c. At the server, type http://servername/oma, does it work?

2. Use aspnet_regiis.exe to reset the permissions.
a. Open a command prompt.

b. Switch to windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 folder. Run
'aspnet_regiis -i' command.
For the detailed steps, please refer to the following KB article:
823379 You receive a "Server Error in '/' Application. Access to the path
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823379

3. On the SBS server, please check if the following registry key value
exists:

HKLM\System\CurrentcontrolSet\Services\Massync\Parameters\ExchangeVDir

Type: Reg_SZ
Data: /exchange-oma

If the value is missing, please add it.

In addition, please take a look at below article to double check the
configuration of CEICW wizard,
How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825763/

I appreciate you taking time to perform the tests. If you have any other
questions, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day.

Richard Young

Jun 12, 2006, 1:54:02 PM6/12/06
Hi Chace,
I have added the line setting pages sessionstate to true per your
instructions and I have also run dupupdate.exe from the SBS CD2 and iisreset.

This did not solve the problem. I think at this point it may have something
to do with directory security, but, I have checked my settings with another
SBS installation and there are no differences in my settings. I even tried
to copy the web.config file from the OMA directory on this other SBS server
to mine but this caused other problems(errors) where I did not even get the
login for OMA.

The other server is still running Exchange SP1, my server is running
Exchange SP2 so there must have been other config changes to web.config.

Will product support take this on to resolution as part of the partner
program?

Please advise.

Thanks!

--
__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE

chace zhang

Jun 13, 2006, 8:47:52 AM6/13/06
Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting back.

I'm sorry that the issue persists. As you mentioned you have another
Exchange Server, Could you tell me the topology of your scenario?

At the same time check the following as well

1. Please make sure that you do not change the default HTTP port (80).
- Change Default Web Site IP to "All Unassigned", restart IISAdmin; verify
whether the OMA access works.
- Change Default Web Site IP binding to the one matching A record in DNS,
restart IISAdmin; verify whether the OMA access works.

If the issue persists after only enabling one NIC, please continue with
next step.

2. This issue may happen when NTFS permission is set incorrectly. Please
ensure that Authenticated Users Group have Read, Read & Execute, List
Folder content permissions on C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\OMA\Browse\bin
folder.

I would like to clarify the process of OMA/ActiveSync

All OMA/ActiveSync transactions are based on HTTP protocol and are also
handled by IIS. Let me assume the following scenario which will clarify the
process.?

User Information in our example:
Domain Account: Contoso\Administrator
Exchange Alias: Administrator
Proxy Address: SMTP:admini...@contoso.com

Step 1: User sends request to browse the following URL:
Http://mail.contoso.com/OMA (for OMA) or
Http://mail.contoso.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync (for ActiveSync), and
provides valid domain credentials. In our case ?contoso\administrator?. If
SSL is enabled for OMA/ActiveSync, the URL should be
Https://mail.contoso.com/OMA (for OMA) or
Https://mail.contoso.com/Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync (for ActiveSync).

Step 2: IIS then authenticates and authorizes the user with a Domain
Controller.

Step3: There are several transactions here.

1). The ASP.NET framework in IIS then uses the SID that IIS got to find the
user and determine the Netbios name of the Exchange server which hosts that
user's mailbox.
2). Next OMA/ActiveSync verifies that OMA/ActiveSync is enabled globally
and for that specific user.
3). Then OMA/ActiveSync determines which SMTP domain we are servicing by
attribute <Default domain from metabase = 'contoso.com'>
4). OMA/ActiveSync then checks to see if there is an Alternate Exchange
Virtual Directory set.? If none is set, we default to Exchange Virtual
Directory in IIS.
5). OMA/ActiveSync will then find the users Alias from the users
ProxyAddresses that match the SMTP domain that it is serving.
6). Then the most CRITICAL STEP, OMA/ActiveSync redirects access request to
Exchange Virtual Directory by building the HTTP URL that it will use to
access the users mailbox on their Exchange server. OMA/ActiveSync will use
the data it has collected to build the URL in the following manner

http://ExchangeServer/ExchangeVirtual directory/Alias

Please PAY ATTENTION here. It is by design that OMA/ActiveSync Virtual
Directory can only communicate with Exchange Virtual Directory in IIS with
port 80 instead of port 443 for SSL. So just as the article KB817379
mentioned, if the Exchange Virtual Directory is enabled with SSL, the issue
will happen during OMA/ActiveSync access. However, please rest assured that
we have solution when user would like to enable SSL for all
OWA/OMA/ActiveSync access. The solution is to create a new Exchange Virtual
Directory without SSL and set registry key to force OMA/ActiveSync to use
this second Exchange Virtual Directory without SSL in Action 4 of Step 3.
You can still keep the first Exchange Virtual Directory with SSL so that
user can access the mailbox by the following URL.

https://ExchangeServer/ExchangeVirtual directory/Alias

Hope this clarifies. If the OMA/ActiveSync issue persists after solution in
KB817379, feel free to let me know. Please rest assured that it is always
my pleasure to provide assistance. Thanks and have a nice day!

Richard Young

Jun 14, 2006, 8:00:02 PM6/14/06
Hi Chace,

When I tried to set my IP address from "all unassigned" to the server's IP,
I received an error: Page not found and in the system log:
Source: W3SVC
EventID:1007
Cannot register the URL prefix 'http://192.168.30.125:80/' for site '1'. The
necessary network binding may already be in use. The site has been
deactivated. The data field contains the error number.

So I changed this back to "All Unassigned" to be able to get the username
and password prompt again when trying to browse to OMA.

The NTFS permissions all look fine.

So I tried to create a new exchange-oma VD under the default website per
method2 instructions in KB817379 and I was able to save the VD to a settings
file and then delete the existing exchange-oma VD and then create a new VD
"from file"

I restarted IIS and IIS Admin and all of its service dependencies and I
cannot start the default web site. When I try to start the default web site
from the IISadmin, I receive the following error:

IIS was unable to start the site. Another site may already be using the
port you configured for this site. Please select a unused port for this site.

And in the system logs:
Source: W3SVC
EventID: 1007

Cannot register the URL prefix 'http://192.168.30.125:80/' for site '1'. The
necessary network binding may already be in use. The site has been
deactivated. The data field contains the error number.

(same error).

How can I get back to a functioning default website and OMA?

Thanks!
--
__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE

chace zhang

Jun 15, 2006, 7:52:00 AM6/15/06
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your update.

Since a lot of problem within IIS, I suggest you recreate the Default
Website. To do so:

Before we recreate it, please backup your current Default Website. Open
your IIS console, locate on the Default Website node, right click and go to
All tasks---Save configurations to, finish the wizard

And then please remove them:

- EXCHANGE
- EXCHWEB
- PUBLIC
- EXADMIN
- OMA
- EXCHANGE-OMA

In IIS, select Web Sites, and note the "Identifier" for Default Web Site
displayed on the right pane.

Then, enable real time editing of the metabase in IIS admin, for this:

1. Open Properties on the server object.
2. Check the box "Enable direct metabase edit".
3. After this, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following
directory: %SystemRoot$\System32\inetsrv.
4. Edit metabase.xml (make a backup first) with notepad and navigate to the
following section: /LM/DS2MB/HighWaterMarks.
5. Set the Value="207778" to zero or delete it. This value will be located
in a string value like the following (The value may be different):

/LM/DS2MB/HighWaterMarks/{79F81D41-A652-4375-85F0-41A16037CC85} >
<Custom
Name="UnknownName_61472"
ID="61472"
Value="207778" <----- Set this to "0"
Type="STRING"
UserType="IIS_MD_UT_SERVER"
Attributes="NO_ATTRIBUTES"

If the "Identifier" for Default Web Site is not "1", replace all instances
of the identifier with 1, i.e., if the "Identifier" for Default Web Site is
998577302, find all instances of 998577302 and replace it with 1.

6. Alternatively, you can use Metaedit to make these changes.
7. Save the file.
8. Run "IISRESET" and then re-start the MsExchange System Agent service.

The deleted virtual directories should get re-created after a few minutes
from the information that Exchange keeps in Active Directory.

Then follow the method one of KB817379 to recreate Exchange-oma VD.

Please refer to the following article to re-run CEICW wizard

How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825763/

After following the above steps, please verify this issue and tell me the
results.

I look forward to your update.

Have a nice day!

Richard Young

Jun 15, 2006, 2:40:02 PM6/15/06
SUCCESS!!!

Thank you so much for your help! I also noticed I had an additional web
site out there with a large numbered identifier so I also deleted it along
with the others before I restarted services to have the exchange VD's
recreated.

Anyway, everything is back to normal now.

Thanks again.
:)

--
__________________________
Richard Young, SBSC, CNE

chace zhang

Jun 16, 2006, 5:47:03 AM6/16/06
Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your time and testing on this issue. I'm glad to hear from you
that everything is OK now.

If you have any further concerns or need more help, please do not hesitate
to let me know.

Have a nice weekend!