Multiple email domains

motoxwanbe

Aug 17, 2005, 11:15:02 AM8/17/05
I have read all the kb's (Configuring Exchange to receive mail from multiple
domains
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;268838) and blurbs
on this subject and followed to the letter, but I can not get email to
receive on 2nd email domain, I get a "mail.2nddomain".com. .203 [Could not
connect: Got an unknown RCPT TO response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
us...@2nddomain.com
I also get this when I telnet to the smtp gateway. Do I need to setup 2nd
smtp virtual server? I created the receipt policy and updated RUS. I am
running sbs2003. Any info would be appreciated.

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Aug 18, 2005, 4:13:16 AM8/18/05
Hello Motoxwanbe,

Thank you for posting in the SBS newsgroup.

According to your description, I understand that you would like to confiure
the Exchange to receive mail from multiple domains. If I have misunderstood
your concern, please don't hesitate to let me know.

To narrow down this issue, please answer and perform the below questions
and steps:

1. As you mentioned, you have added the @2nddomain.com into the Recipient
Policies on the Exchange System Manager, and ran the Recipient Update
Services, but cannot received the emails from the 2nd email domain. Did you
have contact the 2nd email domain name provider (ISP) to add the
appropriate MX and A record point to the SBS Server?

2. Please access the http://www.dnsstuff.com website, type the
2nddomain.com in the DNS lookup box, and select A or MX then click Lookup,
what's the result?

3. When you send a testing email to the us...@2nddomain.com, did you
recevie the NDR? If so, please paste the content of the NDR in your reply.

4. Please open Exchange System Manager, expand Recipients\Recipient
Policies, double-click Default Policy. On the E-mail Addresses (Policy)
tab, highlight your second domain (2nddomain.com) and click Edit. Ensure
"This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery to this
address" is checked. When you try to send an e-mail to the Exchange server
which isn't responsible for the recipient domain, Exchange detects the
message delivery as an attempt to relay the e-mail message to an external
e-mail server.

5. If the issue persists, please help gather the SMTP log for further
analysis. To do so:

a. Open Exchange System Manager, expand Servers -> <Server name> ->
Protocols -> SMTP, right-click "Default SMTP Virtual Server" and click
Properties.

b. Under the General tab, check the option "Enable Logging".

c. With "W3C Extended Log File Format", click "Properties".

d. Under "General Properties", make sure "Use local time for file naming
and rollover" is CHECKED.

e. Switch to the "Extended Properties", and then select to enable All the
logging Options.

f. Click OK to apply the modification.

g. Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server and click Stop.

h. Right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server and click Start to restart the
SMTP server.

i. Reproduce the issue, repeat step 7 to stop Default SMTP Virtual Server,
copy out the SMTP log files in the
"%systemroot%\system32\logfiles\SmtpSvc1" folder, and then restart the
"Default SMTP Virtual Server".

NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web
site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you.
Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or
information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any
representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any
software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use
of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make
sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software
from the Internet.

I am appreciated your time and cooperation. If anything is unclear, please
feel free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Nathan Liu (MSFT)
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "=?Utf-8?B?bW90b3h3YW5iZQ==?=" <motox...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>Subject: Multiple email domains
>Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:15:02 -0700
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

motoxwanbe

Aug 18, 2005, 2:07:02 PM8/18/05
Nathan,

Thanks for reply, I did add the 2nd domain to the default recipient policy
and did the update to the RUS. We host the dns, so I do all the entries, and
that all resolves fine. I test by telnet to the smtp gateway and both it and
the email test at dnsstuff tell me that it is an "unknown rcpt" Here is the
dns response, sanitized.

Getting MX record for 2nddomain.com (from local DNS server, may be
cached)... Got it!

Host Preference IP(s) [Country] mail.2nddomain.com. 10 (ip address of email
server) xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [US]

Step 1: Try connecting to the following mailserver:
mail.2nddomain.com. - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (Finds it)

Step 2: If still unsuccessful, queue the E-mail for later delivery.
Trying to connect to all mailservers:

mail.2nddomain.com. - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx [Could not connect: Got an unknown

RCPT TO response: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for us...@2nddomain.com
]

I do this all the time for my company, but on a 2000 server, we use smtp
server front end then smart host it to the exchange. There (in win2K) I have
to create the virtual smtp server, do I have to create one in sbs 2003?
From inside the network I can of course telnet to outside ip address and
send email to the acct, so it does recognise the domain, just receiving from
outside gets refused.

I could turn on logging, but I think it will tell us the same, as both
dnsstuff and telnet
Here is telnet smtp session (sanitized)
helo
250 1stdomain.com Hello
mail from:jbc...@homtmail.com
250 2.1.0 jbc...@homtmail.com....Sender OK
rcpt to:tbe...@nelsonphoenix.com

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for us...@2nddomain.com

quit

Any suggestions appreciated,
John

motoxwanbe

Aug 18, 2005, 5:25:30 PM8/18/05
Additional:
Here is the telnet smtp test via the vpn tunnel, but to outside smtp address

220 1stdomainname.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.1830 re
dy at Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:56:23 -0500
helo me
250 1stdomainname.com Hello [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]server ip address
mail from:jb...@hotmail.com
250 2.1.0 jb...@hotmail.com....Sender OK (edited here, omitted my real email
address)
rcpt to:us...@2nddomainname.com
250 2.1.5 us...@2nddomainname.com
data
354 Please start mail input.
this is a test
.
250 Mail queued for delivery.
quit
221 Closing connection. Good bye.

FYI, but does not count, but want to show you that it is working, from
inside....

Thanks
John

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Aug 19, 2005, 10:48:09 PM8/19/05
Hi John,

Thank you for your detailed reply.

Based on my further research, the "5.7.1 Unable to relay" problem can also
occur if the recipient policy configuration is not added into Metabase. We
can see the domains that the Exchange organization is hosting in
Metabase->[/SmtpSvc/1/Domain/<domain name>]. If the expected domain is
absent, the emails sent to this domain will be rejected and the 5.7.1 NDR
will be generated. To resolve this, we can add the domain manually in
Metabase.

1. Install MBExplorer by installing IIS 6 Resource Kit Tools.

2. After the installation, click ''Start''->''All Programs''->''IIS
Resources''->''Metabase Explorer''->''Metabase Explorer''.

3. In the Metabase Explorer, right-click ''LM'' and select ''Export to
file''. Export the key to a mbk file for backup purpose.

4. Navigate to LM\SmtpSvc\1\Domain\. For a normal Exchange server, you
should see the second domain name under this key. If you don't have, you
need to manually add one key for the second domain. Right-click the key of
primary SMTP domain, choose ''Copy''. Then, right-click ''Domain'' and
choose ''Paste''. In the key already exists box, select ''Copy to a new
key'' and input the second domain name in the box. Click ''OK'' and then
you will see a new key with the second SMTP domain name.

5. Close Metabase Explorer. Click ''Start''->''Run''->Input ''iisreset''
and press Enter.

If the issue persists, please help me gather the below information for
further troubleshooting:

1. Could you please let me know your two exact domain name, you can send
the information to
my email box: v-na...@microsoft.com.

2. Please kindly refer to my previous reply to gather the SMTP log for
further troubleshooting.

Best regards,

>thread-index: AcWkO1wImoRC4l59QeqsDWkKhHmYZA==

>From: "=?Utf-8?B?bW90b3h3YW5iZQ==?=" <motox...@discussions.microsoft.com>

>Subject: RE: Multiple email domains
>Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:25:30 -0700

>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

motoxwanbe

Aug 22, 2005, 1:53:09 PM8/22/05
Nathan,

Manually entering the key in metabase (as you outlined) solved the problem.
As soon as I entered it in, it started receiving email. Thank you for
excellent support.

Nathan Liu [MSFT]

Aug 22, 2005, 9:12:56 PM8/22/05
Hi John,

Thank you for posting back! I'm glad to hear that things are working
correctly for you now. Please do not hesitate to post in this great
newsgroup if you need any assistance in the future. I look forward to
working with you again.

Best regards,

<24306A81-988D-4A47...@microsoft.com>
<mxRpaGT...@TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl>