Global Address Book Update

Joseph

Aug 30, 2005, 9:23:54 AM8/30/05

I wasn't sure if this was an Exchange or SBS question, but since I'm using
the SBS Server Management Console I figured it'd be nicely placed here.

I've changed the default SMTP e-mail address of a user on the e-mail
addresses tab of the user properties inside the Management Console on an
SBS03 Prem. Server, and am wondering how I can force update the Global
Address Book to the Outlook Clients to reflect this change. It was changed
from the .local SMTP address to an external SMTP address so the mails will
be forwarded out of house to the users personal mail account.

On a secondary note, I really wanted to leave the address alone and have the
remote client check for new mail through RPC over HTTP, but the client is on
Win2000pro. If I upgraded the remote client up to Outlook 2003, would this
be possible and thus render the previous question unnecessary?

(I would really like to know how to solve the first scenario though).

Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Joe

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Aug 30, 2005, 10:42:52 PM8/30/05
HI Joe,

Welcome to SBS newsgroup.

Issue description:
==========

I understand that you want to know how to force outlook client to update
the GAL on Exchange server. And you also want to know, if you can use
outlook 2003 on a Windows 2000 clients using RPC over HTTP.

Analyzing and suggestions:
===========

Question 1:

Force updates GAL:

I. On the Exchange server

1. Bring up ESM, Recipients, Offline Address Lists.

2. In the right pane, right click ''Default Offline Address List'' to
choose ''Rebuild''. Click Yes when being prompted.

II. On the Outlook client

1. Close Outlook, and then delete all the .OAB files. In most cases,
they're stored under the folder %Userprofile%\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Outlook.

2. Bring up Outlook, click Tools, Send/Receive, and then choose ''Download
Address Book''.

3. In the pop-up window, ensure ''Full Details'' and ''\Global Address
List'' are checked.

4. Ensure the check box is NOT selected "Download Changes Since the last
Send/Receive", and then click OK.

5. Check if the GAL is updated.

6. If the contact still doesn't show up in couple of minutes, let's go to
server again, bring up Service console by running services.msc; locate the
service ''Microsoft Exchange System Attendant'' and choose to Restart it.

7. Restart Outlook, does it show up now?

Additional information about outlook clients and GAL updates time frequency:

If left constantly running, Outlook 2003 in cached mode automatically
updates the Offline Address Book on the client every 24 hours. The 24-hour
time period is measured from the time that the Offline Address Book was
last downloaded successfully. For example, if you complete an Offline
Address Book download at 09:00 today, Outlook will start the Offline
Address Book download the next day at approximately 09:00. Therefore,
different people will receive updates at different, random times.

Note The default setting on the Exchange computer is to generate an Offline
Address Book differential file every morning at 04:00. For a change that is
made in Active Directory to reach the client computer, the following events
must occur:
The change must be picked up by the Exchange computer that generates the
Offline Address Book files. This can take several hours. At worst, it can
take 24 hours. This variable will be referred to as "x."
The Outlook clients must download the Offline Address Book updates every
24 hours. This update can take several hours. At worst, it can take 24
hours. This variable will be referred to as "y."
The update reaches the client machines x+y hours later, and the worst delay
is 48 hrs. It would be rare for a client to ever experience the complete
48-hour delay.

Question 2:

RPC over HTTP

Generally speaking, we recommend use Windows XP SP1 with proper updates and
outlook 2003 to be RPC over HTTP clients for the security reasons, however
from the technical fields, we can configure IIS 6.0 on SBS to be IIS 5.0
mix mode to allow RPC over HTTP v1 mode which is supported by Windows 2000
clients with outlook 2003.

Please refer to following article for more detailed information about the
system requirements, please note that we do not recommend use Windows 2000
with outlook 2003 to do the RPC over HTTP as there are many security holes.

System requirement for RPC over HTTP

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3RPCHTTPDep/
91dc76e8-e60f-4f95-a32f-d4de63b263ac.mspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/rpc/rpc/con
figuring_computers_for_rpc_over_http.asp

More info:
===========
823580 How to configure how the Offline Address Book is downloaded when you
use Outlook 2003 in Cached Exchange Mode
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823580

867623 Throttling full offline Address Book downloads to limit the effect
on a LAN in Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=867623

Hope the above information helpful, if you have any further concerns,
please feel free to let me know. I am glad to help you.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
| From: "Joseph" <.>
| Subject: Global Address Book Update
| Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 09:23:54 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Dave Nickason [SBS MVP]

Aug 31, 2005, 11:47:36 AM8/31/05
I recommend trying this without deleting the OAB files on the workstation -
it generally works for me to do the Exchange parts, then just do the
"Download Address Book" from Outlook.

""Charles Yang [MSFT]"" <v-ch...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Joseph

Aug 31, 2005, 7:09:55 PM8/31/05
Charles and Dave - I could not have hoped for a more comprehensive reply.
Thank you very much.
I did as advised, and the Global Address Book did update. The problem I'm
having now is the messages are not arriving at the new destinations, and I'm
not getting any error messages anywhere. Is there something in Exchange I
need to tweak in order for these off site people to receive their mail to
their personal accounts? It was my "assumption" that changing the default
e-mail address would suffice. Do you have any advise?

"Dave Nickason [SBS MVP]" <gwdi...@NOSPAM.frontiernet.net> wrote in message

Dave Nickason [SBS MVP]

Aug 31, 2005, 7:31:52 PM8/31/05
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're trying to do. Here are two
things to check. In the user's properties in AD, see if the address change
you made still shows. There's a check box on the bottom of the e-mail
address tab to automatically update the addresses using recipient policies.
If you failed to un-check that box, the address change you made probably got
reversed automatically. You need to change it again after unchecking the
box.

If everything's OK there and the messages are still not forwarding, you may
need to allow auto forwards in ESM. Under Global Settings, click Internet
Message Formats in the left pane. In the right pane, r-click Default ->
Properties. On the Advanced tab, click the "allow auto forward" box (name
approximate).

This is disabled by default to keep your users from automatically forwarding
your trade secrets to the enemy, a possibility to consider if appropriate.
Other automatic replies are definitely recommended against to prevent mail
loops and to keep users from notifying strangers that they are out of town
and their houses are available for parties or worse.

Charles Yang [MSFT]

Aug 31, 2005, 8:54:42 PM8/31/05
HI Joe,

Thanks for updates Dave thanks for good suggetions.

If I understand correctly, you want to change the primary email address of
the user, so that they can receive the emails in their external mailbox.

For your convenience, I suggest you follow the steps below to check:

Please make sure that you have uncheck automatically updates SMTP address
in the recipient policy on Exchange system managements.

If so, you can then set the primary address of some user to be the external
email address. They will not change when updates the exchange GAL.

As you want to send emails to that user so that they can receive emails
through external mailbox when offsite.

Based on my research, it might not possible to do that if you send a emails
inside SBS domain with the local exchange mailbox, the emails instead of
sending to external mailbox, it will be put into the exchange mailbox for
that user.

You have to use Dave's suggestion to forward emails.

If you send emails to that user from outside domain without an local
exchange mailbox, it will certainly be sent to the external mailbox for
that user.

Hope the above information helpful, please feel free to let me know. If you
have any further concerns.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)