Remote Desktop Connection to SBS2003 server from inside LAN fails

Neil Myers

Oct 18, 2004, 6:36:05 AM10/18/04
Trying to connect to our SBS2003 server using remote desktop over LAN and,
since I rebooted over the weekend, it fails with the standard "Remote
Desktop Disconnected The client could not connect to the remote computer.
Remote connections might not be enabled..." etc.

I have confirmed that I am a member of the relevent remote users security
groups - in fact I have not changed anything as far as I can see and it used
to work without a single problem either LAN or over VPN or RWW.

Any suggestions?

Neil

Jim Behning SBS MVP

Oct 18, 2004, 6:57:37 AM10/18/04
All the services are running? The reason for the reboot?

"Neil Myers" <neil....@sowrush.co.uk> wrote:

Jim B. SBS Community Member
remove the mvp to send email

Neil Myers

Oct 18, 2004, 7:11:48 AM10/18/04
Yes, All autostart services are running.

The reason for the reboot: When the "Collect Server Performance Data"
scheduled task was run wmpirsrv/sqlsvr using excessive amount of CPU time
for 10-15 minutes every hour. The server ground to a halt, so removed SBS
Monitoring, rebooted, and reinstalled. Rebooted for a second time, then
tried to connect to the server desktop from PC at home and, although I could
connect to the network using RWW or VPN, I couldn't connect to the server
desktop! No problem connecting to workstation desktops though.

Tried again this morning from inside the LAN, same problem.

On a better note, the SBS Monitoring problem seems to have gone away :)

Neil

"Jim Behning SBS MVP" <jimbeh...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Chris Puckett [MSFT]

Oct 18, 2004, 11:47:35 AM10/18/04
On the SBS 2003 server, run the netstat command below and notice the output.

C:\>netstat -ano | find ":3389"

OUTPUT -> TCP 0.0.0.0:3389 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
612

The 612 at the end of the line is the PID of the process listening on port
3389. This is the terminal services or RDP port.
Look it up in Task Manager to see which service is associated with it. It
should be svchost.exe. If it is something else, stop that other service
and then try to make an RDP connection to the server.

If it still doesn't work, you may have to set the offending service to
Manual and reboot again or add a dependency to the registry to prevent it
from happening.

For example, let's say that I find that the MSExchangeSA service (mad.exe)
has 3389.

To prevent the Exchange services from grabbing TCP Port 3389, add the
following
dependancy to the Exchange System Attendant service so that it will start
after
terminal services starts

1. Start Regedt32

2. Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeSA\DependOnSe
rvice
-- Double click and add TermService to the list of dependancy services

3. Exit Regedt32 and reboot the server - the Exchange System Attendant
service will
not start till the Terminal server service starts which should eliminate
the problem.

Chris Puckett, MCSE
Microsoft Small Business Server Support

--------------------

Neil Myers

Oct 18, 2004, 12:02:03 PM10/18/04
Chris,

No results from netstat. It's not listening on TCP 3389 (which perhaps
explains the problem)!

"Chris Puckett [MSFT]" <cpuc...@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Chris Puckett [MSFT]

Oct 18, 2004, 4:06:46 PM10/18/04
That would explain it.

Now, is the "Terminal Services" service started?

Is remote desktop enabled?
a. In the Properties of My Computer, click the Remote tab.
b. Is the box checked for "allow users to connect remotely to this
computer"?

Neil Myers

Oct 18, 2004, 4:34:15 PM10/18/04

> That would explain it.
>
> Now, is the "Terminal Services" service started?

Yes

> Is remote desktop enabled?

Yes

Chris Puckett [MSFT]

Oct 18, 2004, 6:30:41 PM10/18/04
Try disabling and re-enabling remote desktop.

Then see if you can connect from within the LAN.

Check the registry to see if the TS port on the server has been changed.
See 187623. If it has been changed, change it back, or see if you can
connect on the new port.

187623 How to Change Terminal Server's Listening Port
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=187623

If you still cannot connect at this point, try another server reboot.

Neil Myers

Oct 20, 2004, 4:50:54 AM10/20/04

> Try disabling and re-enabling remote desktop.
>
> Then see if you can connect from within the LAN.

No, still failing.

> Check the registry to see if the TS port on the server has been changed.
> See 187623. If it has been changed, change it back, or see if you can
> connect on the new port.

Reg setting: 3389.

> 187623 How to Change Terminal Server's Listening Port
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=187623
>
> If you still cannot connect at this point, try another server reboot.

Rebooted after hours.

Well, guess what? It worked :)

Thanks Chris.