Server 2008 R2 - Unable to install any printer drivers

nbenfell

Apr 15, 2010, 7:15:01 PM4/15/10
The server has all available current updates. It is a DC for a small school
network, and has the Print Management role installed. When I try to add a
printer via Devices and Printers, the first clue that something is wrong is
that all the standard out-of-the-box drivers show up as unsigned. Choosing
any of them and attempting to install them gives a prompt, "Please provide a
printer driver", which asks for the location of the files. The event viewer
shows 2 events from PrintService, event id 215, "Installing printer driver
Generic / Text Only failed, error code 0x4c7, HRESULT 0x800704c7. See the
event user data for context information.", and "Installing printer driver -,
error code 0x4c7, HRESULT 0x800704c7. See the event user data for context
information."

If I choose Have Disk, and point it at any downloaded x64 driver for the
printers I want to install, it shows that the driver is digitally signed, I
click next twice, it attempts to install the driver than fails with "Printer
driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed (Error
0x00000057)". If I attempt to install the driver via the Print Management
console, I receive the same error, with slightly different wording. "Unable
to install PCL6 Driver for Universal Print, Type 3 - User Mode, x64 driver.
Operation could not be completed (Error 0x00000057)". WHen I click ok to that
error, I receive "Failed to add driver, Operation could not be completed
(Error 0x00000578)". The event viewer shows 3 events, from PrintService,
event id 215.

"Installing printer driver PCL6 Driver for Universal Print failed, error
code 0x490, HRESULT 0x80070057. See the event user data for context
information."
"Installing printer driver PCL6 Driver for Universal Print failed, error
code 0x0, HRESULT 0x80070057. See the event user data for context
information."
"Installing printer driver - failed, error code 0x57, HRESULT 0x80070057.
See the event user data for context information."

I have tried multiple different drivers, all give the same errors. I've
been unable to find any relevant information on these errors, and would
appreciate any help.