Grupuri Google nu mai acceptă postările sau abonamentele noi Usenet. Conținutul anterior este în continuare vizibil.

Re: Cannot View .CHM help files on XP Pro SP2 Workstations from 2003 S

74 de afișări
Accesați primul mesaj necitit

Pegasus (MVP)

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 08:55:0801.11.2005

"redrobit" <redr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all. I have Solomon 6.0 and Frx7 in a client/server setup on a
standard
> 2k3 server with SP1. the workstations are all XP Pro SP2. My users can
no
> longer access the Frx7 help files because they are CHM files. When I go
> look at the files on the server, they are viewable. I have read a
security
> update to the server may be causing the issue, but cannot figure out why I
> can view on the server but not the clients. Any help is greatly
> appreciated!!!

Have a look at these links:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/fix_windows_xp_help.htm

redrobit

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 09:47:0601.11.2005
Thanks for the input Pegasus!! However, this seems to be an issue with the
server/client settings somewhere. I cant open CHM files on any PC in the
network, but no problem on the servers. Seems to be related to KB article
902225.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 10:43:3101.11.2005
redrobit wrote:

> Thanks for the input Pegasus!! However, this seems to be an
> issue with the server/client settings somewhere. I cant open
> CHM files on any PC in the network, but no problem on the
> servers. Seems to be related to KB article 902225.

Hi,

Deploying the setting in the registry file listed below to your clients
should solve the problem as long as your network drive or UNC path is
defined as "Local intranet zone" (it should be).

To see what zone you have for the path, in Explorer, select
"Status Bar" under the View menu and then go to the folder where the
help files are located. If it says "Internet" in the Status bar, you
will need to add your domain or server to the "Local intranet zone".

--------------------8<----------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000002

--------------------8<----------------------

The setting above will open up for Local Machine zone, Local intranet
zone, and Trusted sites zone, but *not* the Internet zone.

More about this registry setting here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896358

and here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896054

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

redrobit

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 11:18:0701.11.2005
Is there now way around this other than a registry hack? CHM files were made
by Microsoft. Why would I be able to view them on the server, and not the
client? Thanks for your help!!!

redrobit

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 11:41:0601.11.2005
Hi Torgeir, thanks for your reply. In my XP regedit the entry only goes as
deep as 1.x ItssRestrictions is not listed under unless this reg entry is to
be done on the server and not the client. Please advise.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 11:54:3401.11.2005
Hi,

You need to do this on the client, and I strongly advise you to put
the registry key/value I posted into a .reg file and then import the
file (by e.g. double clicking on it in Explorer). This way the value
will be created correctly, and any missing registry keys will be
automatically added.

Also, don't forget the Intranet zone requirement I mentioned.

Regards,
Torgeir

redrobit

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 12:03:0101.11.2005
Hey, sorry to bug you again. Would you mind providing some instruction to
creating this value in a reg file so it can be added simply by a double
click? Thanks again!!

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 12:11:0901.11.2005
redrobit wrote:

> Hey, sorry to bug you again. Would you mind providing some
> instruction to creating this value in a reg file so it can be
> added simply by a double click? Thanks again!!

Hi,

Please put the part between the two
--------------------8<----------------------
lines below into a file that you give a .reg file extension (use e.g.
Notepad). The text REGEDIT4 must be on the first line of the file.

Import the registry file by double clicking on it in Explorer.

When importing the registry file, you should then get this dialog box:

---------------------------
Registry Editor
---------------------------
Are you sure you want to add the information in Some.reg to the registry?
---------------------------
Yes No
---------------------------

Press the Yes button, and you should get this dialog box:

---------------------------
Registry Editor
---------------------------
Information in Some.reg has been successfully entered into the registry.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

--------------------8<----------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000002

--------------------8<----------------------
(be sure to have a blank line at the end of the registry file)

redrobit

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 12:26:2301.11.2005
Sounds good. Ill give it a go and get back to you. thanks again for the
help. One last question though. The file should be saved as REGEDIT4.reg
correct?

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 12:54:3001.11.2005
Hi,

I would not have called it REGEDIT4.reg, but maybe FixChm.reg

The text "REGEDIT4" needs to be the first line of the text
content in the .reg file, as shown in the text between the
two --------------------8<---------------------- lines.

Regards,
Torgeir

redrobit

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 12:56:1601.11.2005
Hey Torgeir. That reg hack worked like a champ!!!! This was a major problem
for our company. thank you so much for your patience and expertise!!!! -rob-

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

necitită,
1 nov. 2005, 13:05:0701.11.2005

Glad you got it fixed :-)