PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver

Sky

Aug 5, 2006, 10:50:02 AM8/5/06
Everytime I start up my computer I get the following error message in my
event log

The PCAMPR5 NDIS Protocol Driver failed to start due to the following error:

I am sure that this is something do do with my network. The error occurs on
both our computers which are networked with a Wanadoo Live Box and two
wireless adaptors. If I disable my internet connection then the error does
not occur until I enable it again.

The error does not appear to affect the working of the computers but I would
prefer not to keep getting the error message on my event log.

Can anyone help please.

Jenny

Lem

Aug 5, 2006, 11:16:12 AM8/5/06
Sky wrote:

This seems to be a common problem (see
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=PCAMPR5&btnG=Google+Search)

I looked at several of the links, and the only one that seemed like it
might help is
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=sw_winxp&message.id=131299

That link suggests installing a new Broadcom driver, but the message is
dated over a year and a half ago (1/20/05). Check your wifi adapter
driver, and if it happens to be a Broadcom older than 4.28, consider
updating it from the Broadcom website.

Sky

Aug 5, 2006, 12:25:01 PM8/5/06
Yes, I had looked at them before but i am not an expert and don't really know
how I go about finding out what Protocol Driver I have or where to update it.
Does the driver relate to the wireless adaptors or is is something to do
with the Windows operating system??

Lem

Aug 5, 2006, 1:19:58 PM8/5/06
Sky wrote:

At least what those messages were talking about is the driver for your
wireless adapter. Broadcom is a manufacturer of chipsets commonly used
in wireless devices, and does not really support end users. Go to the
website of the manufacturer of whatever wifi adapter you have (e.g.,
Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc.) and look for a driver for your model.

If you want to know the version of the driver you already have, one way
is through Device Manager, as follows:

Go to Device Manager
[one of many ways: while pressing the "Windows key" also press the
"pause/break" key; this will open the "System Properties" dialog box;
select the "Hardware" tab; press the button for "Device Manager."]

Expand the entry for "Network Adapaters" by click the + to the left of it.

Right-click the entry for your wireless adapter(s), then click on
"Properties." Select the "Driver" tab.

This will tell you the Driver provider, date, and version for your wifi
adapter. If you have a Broadcom driver older than version 4.28, then
proceed further; otherwise, you'll have to look elsewhere for the
solution to your problem.

Do NOT click on the button that says "Update Driver." Instead, "Cancel"
out of all the various "properties" windows and close Device Manager.
If you are going to update the driver, get the file from your equipment
manufacturer, and follow any directions provided there.

Pavel A.

Aug 5, 2006, 7:34:39 PM8/5/06
If you don't have other problems accessing network,
ignore this message.
Otherwise if you feel like investigating -
this driver is not part of Windows. It definitely could come
with one of your two WLAN adapters, *or* with something else
(which can be malware ).
So the first thing you can do is quering support of the WLAN
adapters and your internet provider, if they installed any software.
If nobody recognizes this, it can be trace of active or removed malware.

Regards,
--PA