Messenger Not Working In Vista

Shamus

Feb 2, 2007, 8:23:10 AM2/2/07
I installed the latest version of Messenger and upon loading it crashes,
here are the details:

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
Application Version: 8.1.178.0
Application Timestamp: 45b12d6a
Fault Module Name: unknown
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: 087c6330
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033

Any ideas what it causing this?

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Feb 2, 2007, 1:14:34 PM2/2/07
Greetings,

Did you ever manage to sign in, or has it never worked?

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger/MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

Gothmog

Feb 2, 2007, 2:57:19 PM2/2/07
Since I installed Vista I can not sign in to messenger either. Sometimes it
fails with a message and when I go to trouble shoot I get a ports error.
When I run repair it says it is fixed but still will not sign in. Other
times it just stays on the Signing in screen with the two figures rotating
all night. The only fire wall I am running at the moment as I set
everythign up and transfer files is the Windows Firewall and that says that
Messenger has full permitions. I am however useing a router but that never
caused a problem with XP.

Matt.

"Jonathan Kay [MVP]" <msnews...@jonathankay.com> wrote in message

Jerry

Feb 2, 2007, 7:09:20 PM2/2/07

"Gothmog" <got...@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Since I installed Vista I can not sign in to messenger either. Sometimes
it
> fails with a message and when I go to trouble shoot I get a ports error.
> When I run repair it says it is fixed but still will not sign in. Other
> times it just stays on the Signing in screen with the two figures rotating
> all night. The only fire wall I am running at the moment as I set
> everythign up and transfer files is the Windows Firewall and that says
that
> Messenger has full permitions. I am however useing a router but that
never
> caused a problem with XP.
>
> Matt.

There is a simple cure...........

.
.
.
.
Remove Vista and install XP Pro.

Shamus

Feb 4, 2007, 8:04:00 AM2/4/07
I can sign in but about 5 seconds later it crashes. I think it may have
something to do with Flash as mentioned in an earlier post.

Owen

Feb 4, 2007, 1:35:01 PM2/4/07
I am having the exact same problem

tuamotu

Feb 4, 2007, 5:10:01 PM2/4/07

Is there no other solution to use msn messenger than removing Vista?
Vista was on the computer when I bought it....
How long will we have to wait to be able to use msn messenger on vista? will
it be possible on day?

Thank you in advance for your answer

Anne

"Jerry" wrote:

> ..
> ..

adam

Feb 5, 2007, 8:42:01 AM2/5/07
i am having the exact same problem when i sign in, it loads my contact list
then this message appears
"The application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.
Reinstalling this application may fix this problem" anyone no a way around
it??

adam

Gothmog

Feb 5, 2007, 2:41:05 PM2/5/07
I have got a solution to this from my IT Director at work for my problem. I
will post it here in case it is of any use to anyone else.

Run CMD as an administrator (type cmd in the serch pain in the start menu
then right click the icon in the and select Run as administrator). Then
type or paste in the the follwing:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

It worked for me, so hopfully will do so for anyone else. Obvioulsy take it
under advisement before you do it as I personaly don't know how it fixes my
problem.

Matt.

"tuamotu" <tua...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Messenger not working with Vista@discussions.microsoft.com Live Messenger not working with Vista

Feb 5, 2007, 3:46:01 PM2/5/07
Yes I have similar problem...new Dell Laptop, Windows Vista, Office 2007 etc
etc every time I try & sign in I get so far .....I log in see all contacts
and then Vista closes live messenger with message window stating "Windows
Live Messenger Has Stopped Working"

Carlos_Nomad

Feb 5, 2007, 4:51:01 PM2/5/07
"Windows Live Messenger Has Stopped Working" is the same message I am getting
annoying now, have microsoft acknowledged the problem?

Talli

Feb 5, 2007, 5:25:00 PM2/5/07
I have a new pc with vista on it. Messenger has installed, but we can't sign
in unless I right click on the program and "run as administrator". Any other
time, windows closes it with the Data Execution Prevention progam. When I go
into settings, it won't allow me to deactivate DEP for that
program........any suggestions???

Gothmog

arrow007

Feb 5, 2007, 11:29:01 PM2/5/07
Well, Apparently the problem is with the latest version of Messenger and not
older versions. If you download Live Messenger 8.0 it works find no DEP error
or any kind of error. You can download Live Messenger 8.0 from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e010f88f-8574-4562-af6d-48dd23026b9d&DisplayLang=en

Although it is not the latest version but its better then not using one at
all. Hopefully Microsoft will find a solution soon.

Hz

Feb 6, 2007, 4:44:11 AM2/6/07
In an attempt to bring chaos to disorder, Shamus wrote:
> I installed the latest version of Messenger and upon loading it crashes,

Try updating to updating to the latest Flash.
Lemme know.

--
.::[ Hz ]::.

Hz

Feb 7, 2007, 1:17:45 AM2/7/07
In an attempt to bring chaos to disorder, Gothmog wrote:

> Run CMD as an administrator (type cmd in the serch pain in the start

Serch pain? You mean Search pane?

> menu then right click the icon in the and select Run as administrator).

In the what?

> Then type or paste in the the follwing:

What?

--
.::[ Hz ]::.

Dee

Feb 7, 2007, 9:09:00 PM2/7/07
I am having the same problem here. I've always had problems with Messenger
8.0 crashing (but usually only while using webcam), so I upgraded to 8.1 and
immediately had the same crashing issues as everyone else. I am using XP Pro,
and this is the ONLY thing that has changed on my machine in the past week. I
replaced the msvcr71.dll file, reinstalled Flash (even though it was the
latest version already), and I do not have the 'today' window that pops up.
The thing I found most curious, though, is that it worked absolutely fine
when I logged on with "Appear Offline". 5 seconds after I change my status to
online, it crashed.

I reinstalled it once, restarted, and for one round it worked just fine, no
errors, and amazingly, no crashing on webcam. Come back later, fresh start of
the compy, boom, crashed again. After another good 5 attempts I've been in it
for about 10 minutes, but my hopes are low (it crashed one time after using
it for 20).

I love the features of Live Messenger, but I miss my functioning MSN
Messenger. =S Rawr...

Emmylou

Feb 11, 2007, 7:01:00 AM2/11/07

"arrow007" wrote:

Arrow007.... THANK YOU...... I have been trying all day to get my msn
working on a new laptop with vista, and finally got it working!!!

siten

Feb 11, 2007, 6:01:02 PM2/11/07
Gothmog it's wonderful, I love you!

Dayne

Feb 12, 2007, 11:11:01 AM2/12/07

I've found that uninstalling Java Runtime v6 seems to do the trick.

owen gir

Feb 14, 2007, 12:45:02 AM2/14/07
Hazaah!!

arow007 is right.. do it... do it now. You'd think a multibillionare company
could be a little more organised! They were too eager to release vista that
they overlooked little problems like this... plus, if u've got roxio (sonic
solutions DVD burning program) pre-installed on ur comp that causes problems
too with a driver! look up sonic solutions blocked driver

Megamats

Feb 14, 2007, 8:38:07 AM2/14/07
great tip!

Did you find a solution for the Sonic Solution problem?

I cannot uninstall Live sign in assistant. When I try to uninstall it says
that this version cannot be installed on vista... go figure...

sue_chook

Feb 15, 2007, 4:35:00 PM2/15/07
You are a legend thanks

Thomas

Feb 16, 2007, 3:40:00 PM2/16/07
I don't have the answer. But as an workaround it seems to help to run it as
administrator (right click icon).

TimTheToolMan

Feb 17, 2007, 4:30:10 AM2/17/07
I can confirm this works. Or at least it did for me...

marco

Feb 18, 2007, 2:32:10 AM2/18/07

please i have this problem with the messenger when i try to open they
opened but then it closed and said:::messenger has stopped working and it
closed any idea please

Marco

thanks

AussieV8

Feb 18, 2007, 7:43:08 AM2/18/07
DAYNE!, THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUU

i just uninstall JAVA Runtime and my MSN running as smooth and perfect!
FINALLY!

i was gonna kill my fkin pc tower for this shit! hahahhaa

thanks!!

alpha132

Feb 18, 2007, 11:12:12 AM2/18/07
People for the time biend use www.ebuddy.com or www.messengerfx.com (mozzila
firefox recommended)

SAM-AU

Feb 18, 2007, 11:26:00 PM2/18/07
Shamus,

I'm getting the same thing, but mine was working fine then only started
today. I get exactly the same error report. The netsh solution doesn't work.
Also the workaround running as an Administrator doesn't work either.

Are you still having this issue?

Cheers,
Scott

Jonathan Yaniv

Feb 18, 2007, 11:29:21 PM2/18/07
Hmm,

I know people hate to do this, but, have you tried clearing your
MessengerCache in %temp%

It may help, it may not, but its worth a shot.

--

Have a nice day,

Jonathan Yaniv
Microsoft Windows Live™ Butterfly Expert

Visit the ButterflySays Blog at
http://spaces.msn.com/ButterflySays/

"SAM-AU" <SA...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SAM-AU

Feb 18, 2007, 11:58:10 PM2/18/07
Nice thought, hadn't tried that, but still does not work.

It signs in for a second, then when you go to do anything the app just
freezes and it sends off its report to microsoft, containing yet again:

roblem signature

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: msnmsgr.exe
Application Version: 8.1.178.0
Application Timestamp: 45b12d6a
Fault Module Name: unknown
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000

Exception Offset: 061c3c58

Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 3081

Extra information about the problem
LCID: 1033
Bucket ID: 19116680

Cheers,
Scott

Jonathan Yaniv

Jonathan Yaniv

SAM-AU

Feb 19, 2007, 12:44:03 AM2/19/07
I did have JRE6 installed, so I deleted as per your advice, still exactly the
same problem. I'm sure it has something to do with the live today page, as it
seems to stop when that would normally come up, but removing JRE 6 doesn't
fix it. It also doesn't get to the point where I can disable that option
before crashing.

Jonathan Yaniv

Feb 19, 2007, 1:05:39 AM2/19/07
If I could figure out what the URL is for the today page, then, you could
block the today page from showing up by blocking it in the HOSTS file, then,
you would be able to get into Messenger, and disable the today page.

--

Have a nice day,

Jonathan Yaniv
Microsoft Windows Live™ Butterfly Expert

Visit the ButterflySays Blog at
http://spaces.msn.com/ButterflySays/

"SAM-AU" <SA...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SAM-AU

Feb 19, 2007, 1:18:00 AM2/19/07
I have downgraded to version 8.0 which seems to be working again. I have
disabled the today page but am reluctant to upgrade as it is prompting me to
do and that's what I did in the first place and gave me all the problems.

Jonathan Yaniv

ROONY

Feb 23, 2007, 3:46:02 AM2/23/07
I have the same problem like you SAM-AU I took your advice and it work realy
great ,i have no moe problem with version 8.0
thank you.

Canadianmommyof2

Feb 23, 2007, 11:48:00 AM2/23/07
Here is someBased on your report we understand that as soon as you sign into
Windows Live Messenger, it crashes and you see an error report.
Based on the symptoms you reported, we think this may be caused because you
have an older version of flash on your machine. Windows Live Messenger and an
earlier version of flash are known to have some conflicting issues with Data
Execution prevention enabled on Windows Vista.
Please try the steps below to resolve the issue.
1. Uninstall the current version of Flash by going to the link below and
following the steps in the document.
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157
2. Install the latest version of flash by going to
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash
3. After installation, restart the computer and then attempt to sign into
Windows Live Messenger.
4. If the issue persists and if you are using an Acer machine, this may
apply to you - We’ve learned that some of our customers that use Acer
computers with the Vista operating system may be experiencing problems
running Windows Live Messenger 8.1. Acer has released a patch that could
help fix this issue. Please refer to the below link for details
http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/portal20.cfm?recordid=1130&formid=3390&website=AcerPanAm.com/us&siteid=7293&words=all&keywords=&areaid=7
5. If you had any other type of machine and not an Acer and are still
experiencing the issue, please provide us with the following information
a. Make and Model of your vista machine
b. Vista Operating system SKU (Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate, Business
or Enterprise)
c. Output from the tasklist.exe command line tool. Follow the steps below to
generate this information
i. Click on the START Pearl and type in CMD in the search bar and hit Enter
to open the command window.
ii. In the command window, type in the following command exactly as you see
below and hit Enter to execute it.
tasklist /M > C:\runningtasks.txt
iii. After the command is executed successfully, a file called
runningtasks.txt will be created in the C:\ drive. This contains the list of
applications running on your machine at this time and the dlls loaded by each
process.
iv. This list will help us during our investigation to determine what
libraries are loaded and running when you experience this issue.
d. The details of the error report. To gather this information
i. Click the Start pearl, type wercon.exe and press Enter.
ii. Click “View Problem History” on the left side of the “Problem Reports
and Solutions” window.
iii. Scroll down and see if there are any “MSN Messenger” reports or
“Messenger” reports that occurred around the same time the problem you
indicated occurred.
iv. Double click the report and click “Copy to Clipboard” at the bottom of
the dialog.
v. Paste (CTRL + V) the crash information from your clipboard into your
email response to this issue.
6. In addition to the crash report, please attach the runningtasks.txt file
in your response to us for additional investigation. info I got from
Microsoft:

@discussions.microsoft.com steve

Feb 26, 2007, 4:36:18 AM2/26/07
The solution is to uninstall java 6, I have removed flash and ensure the
latest version was running and this did not fix it. When i remove java 6
messenger works fine when I install java 6 it crashes as soon as I open it
with the message windows messenger has stopped working.

So bottom line it is Java 6

Jane C

Feb 26, 2007, 5:43:24 AM2/26/07
JRE 6 installed here and WLM (latest version) working fine. Vista Business
x64.

--
Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :-)
"steve" <steve @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

xjjohnn0

Feb 26, 2007, 6:26:15 PM2/26/07
The problem is with the Windows live Today page loading,it's what's crashing
Live Messenger on loading.
A fix is temporarily removing Java,load and log in to Messenger Live,go to
tool/option/General and stop the Windows live page from loading .Then you
can happily reinstall Java.
Seeing as I was getting the same error message and now not getting it I can
readily assume it's that webpage causing the problem on loading Messenger.

pamsiewamsie

Mar 4, 2007, 2:53:00 AM3/4/07

"adam" wrote:

> i am having the exact same problem when i sign in, it loads my contact list
> then this message appears
> "The application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll was not found.
> Reinstalling this application may fix this problem" anyone no a way around
> it??
>

> adam
>
> "Owen" wrote:
>
> > I am having the exact same problem

> > "Shamus" wrote:
> >
> > > I can sign in but about 5 seconds later it crashes. I think it may have
> > > something to do with Flash as mentioned in an earlier post.

pamsiewamsie

Mar 4, 2007, 5:26:05 AM3/4/07

pamsiewamsie

Mar 4, 2007, 5:37:00 AM3/4/07
I too have just about given up. I have installed, uninstalled, Windows Live
Messenger five times. It loads my contact list, and I think yeeha, am in
business. No such b....y luck. I just get a message "Windows live Messenger
has stopped working. A problem caused the programme to stop working
correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is
available". Now I think because I have installed and uninstalled so often,
probably all sorts of bits and pieces left. In Windows XP2 one could go to
Windows Explorer and find out what was there after uninstalling and delete.
I can't see how to do this in Vista. Running Windows Vista Home Premium.
(wish I wasn't). New computer. I did have an MSN Messenger address prior to
this but Windows live would not accept this, and I had to create a new one.
Does this have anything to do with it? Tearing my hair out.

xjjohnn0

Mar 7, 2007, 5:34:36 AM3/7/07
It's the Java scrtipting on that Windows live page that loads on logging in
that is causing the problem,either disable axtivx and then get into Live
Messenger options to prevent the page from loading or uninstall java,disable
that page from loading and reinstall Java.It has nothing to do with Flash
and everything to do with a poorly scripted web page.
"pamsiewamsie" <pamsie...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

zedascouves

Mar 7, 2007, 6:02:15 PM3/7/07
Gothmog your solution work ver good for me... my messenger started working,
but when i reboot my computer the problem come back again, isn't any way of
saving the command that you did forever or something like that???

dwallace

Mar 15, 2007, 2:47:09 AM3/15/07
The earlier solution to set the icon or shortcut for Windows Live to run with admin privillages worked fine for me, although I went to the wrong area to set the admin privillages to start off with.

Right click on the icon, click on the compatibility tab, tick the box at the bottom of the screen "run this program as an administrator". Worked straight away after that.

I dont think this is the most ideal way around the issue, but seems to work fine now!

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Fekker

Apr 2, 2007, 9:18:00 PM4/2/07
That worked perfectly for me - many thanks.

One small point - I had to change the user permissions for CMD.exe for all
users before it would work, not just my logged-in user account.

Fek.

"Gothmog" wrote:

> I have got a solution to this from my IT Director at work for my problem. I
> will post it here in case it is of any use to anyone else.
>
> Run CMD as an administrator (type cmd in the serch pain in the start menu
> then right click the icon in the and select Run as administrator). Then
> type or paste in the the follwing:
>
> netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
>
> It worked for me, so hopfully will do so for anyone else. Obvioulsy take it
> under advisement before you do it as I personaly don't know how it fixes my
> problem.
>
> Matt.

freddynumber1

May 15, 2008, 6:54:01 PM5/15/08

freddynumber1

May 15, 2008, 7:02:00 PM5/15/08
If microsoft was doing there job we would not be having this problem. We all
need to write microsoft and ask them to do there job and come up with a
update to fix it. I am having same problem with vista home premium and
window's live messenger. Microsoft has wrong answers for everything.It look's
like microsoft has your money and didn't care. microsoft to get Bill Gates
back so he can clean house then get people who cares.

freddynumber1

May 15, 2008, 7:08:01 PM5/15/08
the samething I have wrong Acer. Microsoft didn't care if you can't use
window's live messenger. Acer pass's the buck.I did evrything Microsoft said
to do and stall didn't work.SO WHO CARE MICROSOFT AND ACER DIDN'T CARE THAT
IS WHY WE GET A RUN AROUND

Jes$ika

Jun 11, 2008, 3:37:01 AM6/11/08
Download trillian, you have msn and it acctually works.

http://www.trillian-messenger.net/

"dz" wrote:

> this worked for me:
> 1. start menu
> 2. computer
> 3. double click C drive (or drive you installed vista
> 4. double click program files
> 5. double click MSN messenger
> 6. right click msnmsgr
> 7. properties
> 8. compatibility- change TO: run this program as an administrator
> hope this helps

eilonwe

Mar 21, 2010, 3:32:01 PM3/21/10
thank you sooooo much the acer patch worked. though I had to go here to find
it.

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireE360/AspireE360faq56.shtml

that's the page where the link for the patch is for ACER computers. I DL'd
it and ran it and now MSN workes
without getting that crash report. btw I also deleted Adobe flash, and I'm
DL the newest version, so lets hope
it will still work with Adobe flash and Adobe player running .

Shenan Stanley

Mar 21, 2010, 9:34:13 PM3/21/10

Wow. Really old, cross-posted.

Entire conversation, archived:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.live.messenger/browse_frm/thread/2139b2426bb667d8/

Since you quoted *nothing* of the original posting - many people will just
see what you posted above. Not much in the way of useful information
without the background - so I have tacked on the entire 2007 (with a few
2008 posts scattered in) conversation with the link above.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Mar 22, 2010, 3:43:54 AM3/22/10

Thanks for posting that - I had wondered where they had ended up putting it.

--
Jonathan Kay
Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger
MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com
Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com
(c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation
--

"eilonwe" <eil...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message