WLM failed to import some OE6 messages in local folders

1 view

niteowl

Apr 22, 2008, 10:16:00 PM4/22/08
I read a few threads on this topic but didn't find my situation. When i
installed WLM it migrated some of the messages in my OE local folders but not
all. All the folders were created in WLM but many of them are empty although
there is a dbx file in the OE folder (the identities...microsoft outlook
express folders).

I can pull up the messages fine in OE and I compacted all folders. I even
tried to manually import the messages using the file\import in WLM. I can
see no pattern in which messages came over and those that won't.

Any ideas? Thanks.

...winston

Apr 23, 2008, 12:38:03 AM4/23/08
If the import doesn't function, try drag and drop. Create folders in Windows Explorer for each OE folder, drag the messages from OE
to those folders, then drag from the Explorer folders to the correct folder in WLM.
- Note: Some messages may be routed to the storage folders, thus proceed with drag, look, verify approach.

--
...winston
ms-mvp windows live mail

Norm JL

Apr 23, 2008, 12:13:02 PM4/23/08
I encountered the same problem....Does anyone have a solution yet?
--
Thank You....Norm JL

wlamia

Apr 23, 2008, 12:52:00 PM4/23/08

"Norm JL" wrote:

> I encountered the same problem....Does anyone have a solution yet?
> --
> Thank You....Norm JL

Me, three. I installed WLM on a laptop and it seemed to import all the
messages from OE, but when I installed on a desktop that contains much more
mail, it failed to import some of the messages. I even tried to uninstall and
reinstall WLM and it now refuses to do any more identity imports.

I sure wish MS would get this stuff right the first time.

tap_em12

Apr 23, 2008, 3:30:01 PM4/23/08
Dragging the Outlook Express messages into a temp folder I made on the hard
drive, then dragging them over to the folder in Windows Live Mail worked for
me.
once you try and import from identities once, it doesn't let you try again.
I don't like WLM much, I guess i have to get used to it.

Windows Live Mail Technologies Support

Apr 23, 2008, 3:42:45 PM4/23/08
Hi All,

I'm speaking to the product team about this to get further insight. They
mention that it is possible that mails residing in local folders in OE6 may
have gotten split between the accounts they are associated with and storage
folders. This would happen to mails that weren't associated to an account.

Also, if there are any errors or screenshots that can be provided, that will
help us as well.

-s

--
Scott Hammer
Sr. Support Program Manager
"tap_em12" <tap_...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

wlamia

Apr 23, 2008, 4:16:27 PM4/23/08

wlamia

Apr 23, 2008, 4:16:26 PM4/23/08
No error messages at all. I had to painstakingly compare the contents of each
and every folder.

niteowl

Apr 24, 2008, 5:54:06 PM4/24/08
I'm the one who posted the original problem and need to report that I
figured it out, at least in my case.

The original migration failed to bring over all the messages even though the
file structure was created perfectly. In my original note I mentioned that I
had tried the \file\import\ function from the menu to bring them in manually
but without success.

What I discovered later was that the import was working but not putting the
messages into the WLM folders created in the original migration. WLM created
a new folder in the 'storage folders' section called 'imported folder' and
put those that I imported manually in there. I actually had several copies
of the same folder I had been trying to import.

When I saw that, I did a manual import on my entire local folder set in OE -
which thankfully WLM had left intact and operational - and it appears I got
all of my saved messages from OE. I have quite a few so I've not checked
everything but it looks good so far.

Hopefully this will work fine for others as well. No real explanation for
why the original migration at install brought over all the folders but not
all the messages in them.

Good luck !