Language Set To French

1 view

Boy@newsgroup.nospam Dell Boy

Apr 15, 2007, 11:56:00 AM4/15/07
I've just installed Office 2007 Home and student Edition on a Windows XP Home
SP2 PC with latest updates and the Language (Tools-Options-Spelling) in
Outlook Express 6 SP2 has now changed to French. It is not possible to change
language becasue French is selected but greyed out.

The Primary Editing Language in Office 2007 is English United Kingdom and
English United States is also in the Enabled Editing Languages list.

Can anyone give any suggestions?

Bruce Hagen

Apr 15, 2007, 12:05:19 PM4/15/07
Office 2007 breaks OE's spell check. Downloading a free spell check is the
simplest way around this.

Some free spell check programs.

Vampirefo:

TinySpell:
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/ (Checks the spelling as you type).

Or from this blog:
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80

After installing Office 2007 RTM, you dont have English as a choice of
language in the spell checker of Outlook Express and potentially other
programs.

a.. Office 2007 is replacing the v.3 English Proofing Tools that shipped
in prior versions of Office with a new version (v.6). There are a number of
changes in this new version, but the one that is causing this problem is
that Outlook Express doesn't understand the new English Proofing Tools. This
is a problem because Outlook Express has never shipped with its own proofing
tools but has used the ones shipped by Office.
b.. There are a few scenarios in which you won't run into this problem:
a.. An upgrade from Office 2003 or earlier to Office 2007 RTM if you
don't manually uninstall the earlier version of Office.
b.. A configuration in which Office 2003 (or earlier) has not been
removed.
For example, I have Office 2003 still on both of my computers, and I
still have English in Outlook Express.
c.. The workaround for this problem is to install the English dictionary
from Office 2003 (or Office XP). There should be no need to install all of
Office just the dictionary. The English Proofing Tools can be found in the
Custom Install tree under Office Shared Features|Proofing Tools|English.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Dell Boy" <Dell B...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Dell Boy

Apr 26, 2011, 5:02:02 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Thank you for this information.

I tried third party spell checkers once before and they caused problems so I
think I prefer your work around. Office 2007 replced Office 2000, does this
make any difference to the detail of your work around?

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---
* Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out free usenet!
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92

Bruce Hagen

Apr 15, 2007, 12:29:44 PM4/15/07
I can't say for sure if it will work with Office 2000. I haven't run into
that as yet.

I have been using the Vampirefo spell check with my last three machines with
no problem at all.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

"Dell Boy" <Dell B...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

Dell Boy

Apr 26, 2011, 5:02:02 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Thanks for all this Bruce, case closed.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---

Leon Hao [MSFT]

Apr 16, 2007, 3:52:54 AM4/16/07
Hi Dell,

Glad to know you are satisfied with Bruce's suggestions.

If you have further questions, please feel free to get back here and we are
all ready to help.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Leon Hao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Tim

Apr 24, 2007, 9:24:01 AM4/24/07
Been following this thread since I am having the same problem and just want
to make sure I understand. I bought Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Office
2003, and Office 2007, and the recommendation to this is to either try and
find the dictionary from Office 2003, which on my system is not where Bruce
said it was or download the a third party spell checker????? You have to be
kidding me. Where is the support team this is obvious and needs to be fixed.

Seems I may be wasting my money on MS products.....

Bruce Hagen

Apr 24, 2007, 10:16:34 AM4/24/07
I don't know where the Office 2003 proofing tools are. I was only citing a
blog that has worked for others.

Outlook Express has never come with a spell check of its own and has always
relied on a third party program.

Since OE is on its last legs, no issue that was never addressed before will
certainly not be addressed now.

As I said, I have always used a free spell check, and I know a few people
that like TinySpell so much, they use that even though they have the option
to use the spell check from Word.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Tim" <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

D@discussions.microsoft.com Big D

Oct 4, 2007, 6:37:01 AM10/4/07
Thanks Bruce - your suggestion of installing Office 2003 English Proofing
tool did the trick!

Cheers

David

Bruce Hagen

Oct 4, 2007, 9:27:22 AM10/4/07
You're welcome.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Big D" <Big D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

SNIPER 1

Oct 8, 2007, 9:02:07 PM10/8/07

Richard in AZ

Oct 8, 2007, 11:14:44 PM10/8/07

"SNIPER 1" <SNI...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You no longer have spell checking capabilities in some
languages in Outlook Express 6.0 after you install the 2007
Microsoft Office system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

Here are a couple of free spell checkers that you may find
helpful.

Spell Checker for OE
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spelloe.html

Spell Checker for OE 2.1

You may be able to get around this issue with a copy of
Office 2003. You can install the Proofing tools from the Office
2003 installation CD and it will restore the spell checking
capabilities in Outlook Express.

karol holoman

Oct 9, 2007, 9:22:02 AM10/9/07

"Big D" <Big D...@discussions.microsoft.com> napísal v správe

mickeyD

Oct 23, 2007, 11:17:01 PM10/23/07
Leon,
I don't have earlier versions of MS Office to install old English Proofing
Tools.

What do you suggest to fix French Only Outlook Express with my new XP &
Office 2007?

mickeyD

Bruce Hagen

Oct 23, 2007, 11:22:30 PM10/23/07
Use a free one. I do.

Vampirefo Spell Check:

TinySpell:
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/ (Checks the spelling as you type).

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"mickeyD" <mic...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Issybop

Oct 27, 2007, 10:15:01 PM10/27/07
PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I have read through the thread and installed tinyspell
and it still isnt working. Once I have installed tiny spell do I have to do
anything or will it know where it is meant to go. Apologies for my ignorance.
TIA

Bruce Hagen

Oct 27, 2007, 10:22:22 PM10/27/07
I haven't used TinySpell, only Vampirefo. But, in a new message window, is
the Spelling button available, or still grayed out?

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Issybop" <Iss...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Oct 27, 2007, 10:49:04 PM10/27/07
"Issybop" <Iss...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You have to start it. You can put a shortcut to it in your Startup folder
and it will be there ready for you in any program. Then turn off OE's
spelling check.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com

Issybop

Oct 28, 2007, 7:03:00 AM10/28/07
Dear Frank and Bruce,
Thank you both so much for trying to help me. I have been working on all
your advice ALL afternoon, and I came up with a great solution.......
I have ditched 2007 and just reloaded 2003. To be honest I was always
disappointed with 2007 it certainly was not as friendly as 2003.
Anyway I really appreciate your time
Thanks again
Lee

Kcantrell

Nov 11, 2007, 9:08:00 PM11/11/07
Thanks Bruce the workaround worked for me. Using XP & upgraded to Office
2007, tried your solution and now I can read my spell checker!

Ken

jin

Nov 15, 2007, 4:32:56 PM11/15/07

"Kcantrell" <Kcan...@discussions.microsoft.com> 写入消息新闻:2E5EB4C1-B8DA-4411...@microsoft.com...

W.@discussions.microsoft.com Ron W.

Nov 21, 2007, 2:36:02 AM11/21/07
Installing the English dictionary from Office XP fixed my problem with OE
having only the French dictionary. Thanks,
Ron W.

Don

Nov 21, 2007, 11:43:01 AM11/21/07
I have Office 2007 on my Toshiba. How can I obtain the "Office Shared
Features/Proofing Tools/English" from Office 2003? Is a download available
for the proofing tools?

Bruce Hagen

Nov 21, 2007, 11:50:05 AM11/21/07
You would need an Office 2003 installation disk.

I have used the free spell check from Vampirefo for years and it works just
fine.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"Don" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?55+z5LqV44CA5a6

Apr 26, 2011, 11:00:46 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.

"Ron W." <Ron W.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

---

=?Utf-8?B?55+z5LqV44CA5a6

Apr 26, 2011, 11:01:48 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.

"tf|E|o*CCo<Auye" <hiro.777...@yahoo.co.jp> wrote in message

?? ??

Nov 23, 2007, 3:55:00 AM11/23/07

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

石井 宏昂

Nov 23, 2007, 3:54:55 AM11/23/07

Don

Apr 26, 2011, 11:03:53 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Vampirefo and the others that you cited are either NOT AVAILABLE or NOT
APPLICABLE. Who wants a registry fix when the problem is MSFT's inability to
provide English in America where Gates amassed $60BILLION. I dont want to
spend $400 for 2003 Office when I have the crappy 2007 Office that if
uninstalled will void my warranty and the two wont run side by side.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---

Bruce Hagen

Dec 4, 2007, 12:16:52 AM12/4/07
I have no idea why the Vampirefo spell check is unavailable for you. The
link is valid, and the spell check works fine for me.

OE never, ever had its own spell check, and you don't need Office 2003 to
get a free one. No one else has posted here that they had a problem using a
free download.

I don't work for MS so I can only surmise that the Office dev team, that has
nothing to do with the old OE dev team, was not interested if the spell
check worked for an MS product that is no longer being produced.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Don" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pete

Dec 4, 2007, 11:25:01 AM12/4/07

Mike

Apr 26, 2011, 11:06:07 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.

Mike

Apr 26, 2011, 11:06:07 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
I have this same problem with the French only dictionary - does anyone else
think this is just unacceptable? I am more than happy to install an update
or patch of Windows Update - there have been countless updates for all sorts
of obscure reasons, but I should not have to search the net for questionable
third party add-ons for something as simple as spellchecking my e-mail on a
program as common and current as Outlook Express!!! It's spellchecking for
Pete's sake! I have Windows XP Home, SP2 with Office 2007 - OE worked before
for us... now it doesn't. Never owned Off2003, and I certainly will not buy
it now. MS needs to fix this, like YESTERDAY!!!

Bruce Hagen

Dec 18, 2007, 7:21:25 PM12/18/07
Outlook Express has /never/ come with a spell check. The OE and Outlook
development teams used to collaborate, but since there is no longer an OE
team, as OE will never be produced again, WYSIWYG.

>MS needs to fix this, like YESTERDAY!!!?????<

I have never used an MS Office program and have always relied on a third
party spell check.

There will never be any more updates to OE except for security issues. This
issue should have been addressed 12 years ago to add a spell check to OE
without having to purchase an Office product.

Why didn't anyone complain then?

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Mike" <Mi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Mike

Apr 26, 2011, 11:06:10 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Thank you Bruce for you quick reply - I do really appreciate it.

Let me restate what I feel the issue is. Outlook Express may have been
replaced - I do not know - on Windows Vista with something else, or even
eliminated. But XP did ship up until recently as Vista has been on the
market a year? Not sure. Regardless, OE6 is a part of the Windows XP package
- Office 2007 is said to be "compatible" with Windows XP, and now my wife and
kids have only a French dictionary for the Spellcheck function of OE. Now
whether the spellcheck function is technically built into OE or it is
borrowing from Word, I don't know - but I do know that OE has a big button
when you create a new message that is for spellchecking... We had originally
had Office 2000 and it worked - our HDD crashed so we installed all new, but
Office 2007 instead. Now only French in OE. It sounds like I may be just
out-of-luck, but my computer is only 4 years old so this is not a 12 year old
problem for the consumers. I feel strongly that due to the wide use of OE it
is appropriate for MS to address this with an update...

Mike

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---

PA Bear

Dec 19, 2007, 2:24:41 AM12/19/07
I'm afraid you're preaching to the choir here, Mike. No one here represents
MS, including MVPs.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Bruce Hagen

Dec 19, 2007, 9:32:08 AM12/19/07
Contact Us: Questions About Microsoft Products:
https://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?scid=sw;en;1214&showpage=1&WS=support

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Mike" <Mi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Don

Dec 23, 2007, 7:06:01 PM12/23/07
Third party spell checkers like spell.exe make OE unresponsive (frozen) when
attempting a spell check and required removal via Add/Remove. Vampiero did
the same. The other "tinyspell" page was unavailable and the pschmidt did not
even address the issue. What next? I found Dell's CD's on Office 2003 that
came with my computer whose OS was destroyed by viruses. In the mess of
trying to salvage data and continue my business I had to get a Toshiba as
they were the only ones selling new laptops with XP Pro. 5 of my critical
programs will NOT run on Vista. this forced me to accept Office Pro 2007
which I hate and it's files cannot be read by anyone unless they have 2007.
Is there a way for a novice to extract the necessary spell checker out of
Office 2003 without putting my OS and Office 2007 at risk?

Don

Dec 23, 2007, 8:17:02 PM12/23/07
Found tiny spell via a different address and installed it. It doesnt work. OE
still checks in French but remains responsive!

Bruce Hagen

Dec 23, 2007, 8:57:28 PM12/23/07
If you have the installation CD for Office 2003........................

If you have a previous version of Office, see this:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Don" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Bill E

Jan 3, 2008, 2:52:01 PM1/3/08
OK, I'll bite what the hell does RTM mean?
--
Regards,
WJE

Bruce Hagen

Jan 3, 2008, 2:58:39 PM1/3/08
Release to manufacturing.

From:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Microsoft and others use the term "release to manufacturing" (RTM) to refer
to this version (for commercial products, like Windows XP, as in, "Build
2600 is the Windows XP RTM release"), and "release to Web" (RTW) for freely
downloadable products. Typically, RTM is weeks or months before General
Availability (GA) because the RTM version must be burned to disc and boxed
etc.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"Bill E" <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tasimbora

Jan 4, 2008, 5:23:01 AM1/4/08

hodo

Jan 9, 2008, 12:29:01 PM1/9/08

hodo

Jan 9, 2008, 12:44:03 PM1/9/08
I had the same problem after uninstalling Office 2003, then installing Office
2007.
Office 2007 uses new proofing tools and OE can't use them because its
designed to use older tools.
This is the easy fix if you've still got your old Office 2003 discs.
Insert the Office 2003 Disc 1. When it loads, enter the serial number.
Choose Custom Install. Uncheck all the Programs in the list.Check the bottom
most option. note the nested screen, set each top level to be NOT
AVAILABLE(red X Icon)
Expand the OFFICE SHARED FEATURES branch and locate the PROOFING TOOLS in
the list. Expand Proofing Tools and choose English. Set it to RUN FROM MY
COMPUTER. Uncheck any other language you see in the list.
Finish the installation. Reboot your PC. Re-open Outlook Express, choose
Tools, Options, Spell Checker. Set Language to English(UK)

jerryp49

Jan 14, 2008, 10:55:03 AM1/14/08
Thanks Bruce!
I used your option "C" (using my old Office XP 2002 English dictionary) to
correct the "Fench Only" selection for spelling check in OE on my new, clean
installation. I just had loaded WIN XP Pro SP2 along with Office 2007 Pro
Plus and found this problem.

Your solution worked like a champ! Thanks. I hope MS will make a change to
this software so others will not have to serch for the solution like I did.

All the best,
Jerry

Bruce Hagen

Jan 14, 2008, 11:03:30 AM1/14/08
You're welcome. Don't expect anything to be *fixed*. Since many people never
had Office, and Outlook Express never had its own spell check, and is no
longer being produced, there is nothing to fix.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"jerryp49" <jerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

jealat

Apr 26, 2011, 11:09:47 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
pas de suggestions, je ne parle pas l'anglais, suis dosoloe.......azerine
"jerryp49" <jerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> a ocrit dans le message de
news: 57528EE5-A285-4E9C...@microsoft.com...

---

G.@discussions.microsoft.com Carol G.

Jan 28, 2008, 6:16:01 PM1/28/08

Bruce Hagen

Jan 28, 2008, 6:24:22 PM1/28/08
Did you have a question, or just decided to send a blank reply?

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Carol G." <Carol G.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

BETH

Feb 12, 2008, 10:09:03 AM2/12/08
Ron, I would like to do the same. I do have Office XP disks but never had
Office XP installed on this computer. Can you advise on how to install just
the English dictionary?
Thanks,
Beth in MA

"Ron W." wrote:

> Installing the English dictionary from Office XP fixed my problem with OE
> having only the French dictionary. Thanks,
> Ron W.

Bruce Hagen

BETH

Apr 26, 2011, 11:13:26 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
THANK YOU Bruce - this fix seemed to work for me just fine. I used old
Office XP discs. I must say that I was not prepared for the new look and
feel of Office 2007. I consider myself to be quite proficient in Word and
Excel but I have to start all over with finding my way. I wouldn't have
upgraded the Office, if I'd known. I am sure a lot of people are scratching
their heads with the new layout.
Oh well....
Beth in MA

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---

Bruce Hagen

Feb 14, 2008, 4:48:18 PM2/14/08
You're welcome. No head scratching here. I have never used Office. <wink>

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"BETH" <BE...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Massimo Visentini

Apr 26, 2011, 11:14:19 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.

"BETH" <BE...@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> [...]

Bruce Hagen

Mar 2, 2008, 11:38:00 PM3/2/08
Please start your own new thread explaining your problem. I can't even find
the post you replied to, and you didn't include all messages that were in
that thread.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"Laraine "Cookie" Peck" <Laraine "Cookie" Pe...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:7E693611-349F-4AEE...@microsoft.com...
>I am having the same problem -- help!

hanso

Mar 5, 2008, 6:22:25 AM3/5/08

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> schreef in bericht

mari ronald

Mar 22, 2008, 8:09:08 AM3/22/08
5ETEYY
"hanso" <haba...@tiscali.nl> a écrit dans le message de news:
OTkp3wJh...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...

Richard in AZ

Mar 22, 2008, 11:11:08 AM3/22/08
Office 2007 destroys the spell checker in Outlook Express.
The easiest solution is to install a free spell checker that works in Outlook Express.
One suggestions is: http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oespellcheck/

foo @discussions.microsoft.com eric foo

Apr 11, 2008, 5:51:01 AM4/11/08
Hi Kcantrell

How you get the proofing tools in office 2003 cd? I am not able to find can
let me know which file? here is my email address eri...@starbucks.com.my

Thank you
Eric

"Kcantrell" wrote:

> Thanks Bruce the workaround worked for me. Using XP & upgraded to Office
> 2007, tried your solution and now I can read my spell checker!
>
> Ken
>

> > You may be able to get around this issue with a copy of
> > Office 2003. You can install the Proofing tools from the Office
> > 2003 installation CD and it will restore the spell checking
> > capabilities in Outlook Express.

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

Apr 11, 2008, 1:02:20 PM4/11/08
"eric foo" <eric foo @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> How you get the proofing tools in office 2003 cd? I am not able to find
> can
> let me know which file? here is my email address eri...@starbucks.com.my

Start an install, choose custom and deselect everything except Proofing
tools.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

8228

May 11, 2008, 1:10:01 AM5/11/08
I have a brand new PC with XP and MS Office Home and Student 2007 and my
Outlook Express only had French and no other choice for language for Spell
Check.

I downloaded the Vampirefo:

It only took a few minutes and now I have English in my OE.

Why doesn't MS have this in their fixes? Went to the MS download site, and
made sure that I had all my critical updates done, expecting that to fix the
French only problem, but it didn't. I had to find the answer myself here.

Very annoying and time consuming.

Bruce Hagen

May 11, 2008, 9:30:26 AM5/11/08
The OE team was disbanded in 2006 since OE will no longer be produced. It
was their collaboration with the Office team that gave OE the spell check
capabilities. MS has already given up on Windows Mail in Vista, so don't
expect any patches for OE other that for security issues.

I, as I am sure there are many, have never used an Office program and has
had to always rely on a third party spell check. No worries here.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"8228" <82...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

TLeeT

May 14, 2008, 3:52:01 PM5/14/08
Hey, Bruce -

Thanks for all the good info. Unfortunately, my new Dell was delivered with
Office 2007 and I don't have an earlier version of Office -- either 2003 or
XP. My previous life allowed me the use of a computer from work where I
didn't need to take ownership of my software.

What would you suggest I do to install an earlier version of the dictionary
so I don't have to learn French or install a third party program in order to
spell check in OE.

Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

- Tammy

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Office 2007 breaks OE's spell check. Downloading a free spell check is the
> simplest way around this.
>
> Some free spell check programs.
>
> Vampirefo:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
>

> TinySpell:
> http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/ (Checks the spelling as you type).
>
> Or from this blog:
> http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
>
> After installing Office 2007 RTM, you dont have English as a choice of
> language in the spell checker of Outlook Express and potentially other
> programs.
>

> a.. Office 2007 is replacing the v.3 English Proofing Tools that shipped
> in prior versions of Office with a new version (v.6). There are a number of
> changes in this new version, but the one that is causing this problem is
> that Outlook Express doesn't understand the new English Proofing Tools. This
> is a problem because Outlook Express has never shipped with its own proofing
> tools but has used the ones shipped by Office.
> b.. There are a few scenarios in which you won't run into this problem:
> a.. An upgrade from Office 2003 or earlier to Office 2007 RTM if you
> don't manually uninstall the earlier version of Office.
> b.. A configuration in which Office 2003 (or earlier) has not been
> removed.
> For example, I have Office 2003 still on both of my computers, and I
> still have English in Outlook Express.
> c.. The workaround for this problem is to install the English dictionary
> from Office 2003 (or Office XP). There should be no need to install all of
> Office just the dictionary. The English Proofing Tools can be found in the
> Custom Install tree under Office Shared Features|Proofing Tools|English.

> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express

> ~IB-CA~

PA Bear [MS MVP]

May 14, 2008, 3:54:49 PM5/14/08
Repost:

> Some free spell check programs.
>
> Vampirefo:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
>
> TinySpell:
> http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/ (Checks the spelling as you type).

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Lu

May 20, 2008, 10:53:47 PM5/20/08
I did the download of Vimpirefo. It looks like the language is set to
English but now when I try to send a message the "send" button fades and the
program locks up. Help.

Lu

Bruce Hagen

May 20, 2008, 11:17:02 PM5/20/08
You should always start your own new thread and not latch onto another
outdated one.

Get rid of Vampirefo via Add/Remove Programs. Restart your machine. Other
than the spell check, is everything back to normal?

If so, close all other programs except the download site. Click on Download
and Save, (do not Run), the program and save it to a folder on your HDD. My
Documents is fine.

Now, with *all* programs closed, right click on your anti-virus icon and
disable it. Open the saved download and install it now. When you're done,
close any open windows and restart your computer.

Open OE and try it now. Any difference?

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"Lu" <L...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Lu

May 20, 2008, 11:24:21 PM5/20/08
I installed Vampirefo and it does list English as a spelling option now.
However, if I select English the message locks up and does not spell check or
send. Do you know if there's anyway to correc this other than going back to
French.

Bruce Hagen

May 20, 2008, 11:29:07 PM5/20/08
We heard you the first time.

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Lu" <L...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

doddy1963

May 30, 2008, 6:34:02 PM5/30/08

doddy1963

May 30, 2008, 6:36:01 PM5/30/08

jane

Jun 6, 2008, 5:20:02 PM6/6/08
I just tried to load an old Office 2003 on my computer to load the english
dictionary. It will not allow me to use the product key code. Can you offer
further assistance? Thanks,
Jane

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Office 2007 breaks OE's spell check. Downloading a free spell check is the
> simplest way around this.
>
> Some free spell check programs.
>
> Vampirefo:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952

Michael Santovec

Apr 26, 2011, 11:26:58 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
If it rejects the product key when you enter it, that means that either
the key is not for that product, or you mistyped it. Double check it.

"jane" <ja...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

---

singh

Jun 25, 2008, 10:05:01 AM6/25/08

happened to customer service?@discussions.microsoft.com What happened to customer service?

Jul 24, 2008, 7:42:00 PM7/24/08
I'm sorry, but I find it ridiculous to find that we users of Microsoft
software, IE, and OE should trust 3rd party freeware when Microsoft should
have made a fix to this problem, a long time ago.

I now have TWO computers of the 10 or so on my network that are stuck in
French, and lucky for me I know how to spell (other users, not so lucky!)

I will NOT use freeware, and I will NOT install Office 2003 etc, when it is
Microsoft's problem that they should have released a fix for this... Users
should not have to resort to either of these go-around type fixes.

WHERE IS THE FIX -- MICROSOFT??

Just call me an 'old fart', but I think when you buy a product, the product
should actually work!

-- old fart from Florida --

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jul 24, 2008, 7:51:07 PM7/24/08
You're preaching to the choir here, OFfFL

Bruce Hagen

Jul 24, 2008, 8:44:02 PM7/24/08
Outlook Express has /never/ had a spell check of its own, so there is
nothing to fix.

What about all the people that never had an Office program? They never had a
spell check for OE unless they got a third party program.

Guess what? I have never used Office and have always used a third party
spell check.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"What happened to customer service?" <What happened to customer
service?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Jul 28, 2008, 6:40:02 AM7/28/08
"What happened to customer service?" <What happened to customer
service?@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

It doesn't matter how ridiculous you think it is. The bug is there and
won't be fixed.

Microsoft doesn't care about OE and doesn't read this newsgroup.

If you refuse to use freeware, then you can't use OE, which is freeware.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

david

Sep 5, 2008, 2:00:01 AM9/5/08
i just tried the magorgeeks download and i know have english in the oe6
instead of french. well the french is still there but the english is the
default. happy times are here
again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express

> ~IB-CA~

geomac

Oct 4, 2008, 11:11:00 AM10/4/08
Bruce

Are you aware of an English (UK) spell checker attachment - the vampirefo
one is English (United States)?

Regards

George

Bruce Hagen

Oct 4, 2008, 11:51:23 AM10/4/08
Australian English Spell Check
(Also suitable for other English speaking countries.)
http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oespellcheck/
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"geomac" <gmli...@bbmax.co.uk> wrote in message

Rae

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:12 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
I also got stuck in French when I installed Office 2007. I tried to restore
the dictionary using an Office 2000 upgrade disk, but it said it could not
"find a qualifying product" to do the custom install. I went to the the
Vampirefo site but I can't find a download link for the OE spell checker on
the page (only the description). What am I missing?

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> I have no idea why the Vampirefo spell check is unavailable for you. The
> link is valid, and the spell check works fine for me.
>
> OE never, ever had its own spell check, and you don't need Office 2003 to
> get a free one. No one else has posted here that they had a problem using a
> free download.
>
> I don't work for MS so I can only surmise that the Office dev team, that has
> nothing to do with the old OE dev team, was not interested if the spell
> check worked for an MS product that is no longer being produced.

> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Don" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Vampirefo and the others that you cited are either NOT AVAILABLE or NOT
> > APPLICABLE. Who wants a registry fix when the problem is MSFT's inability
> > provide English in America where Gates amassed $60BILLION. I dont want to
> > spend $400 for 2003 Office when I have the crappy 2007 Office that if
> > uninstalled will void my warranty and the two wont run side by side.
> >
> > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
> >
> >> You would need an Office 2003 installation disk.
> >>
> >> I have used the free spell check from Vampirefo for years and it works
> >> just
> >> fine.

> >> --
> >> Bruce Hagen
> >> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> >> Imperial Beach, CA
> >>

> >> "Don" <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

---

Bruce Hagen

Oct 4, 2008, 11:44:04 PM10/4/08
It's right there. Five USA locations listed under "Free Downloads From".

Vampirefo Spell Check:

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Rae" <R...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

geomac

Oct 5, 2008, 6:47:00 AM10/5/08
Why can't Microsoft not simple make the spellcheck component of Office 2003
or Office XP available as a download on their web site??

Geomac

geomac

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:13 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Come on Microsoft - this can be resolved quickly and easily by making the
English spell check on the Office 2003 or Office XP available as a free
dowmload on their web site!!!

Why ever not MS??

Geomac

geomac

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:13 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Thanks Bruce. However, the site you directed me to requres a payment - grrrr.
Why doesn't MS simply make the Office 2003 or Office XP spellcheck components
available as free downloads on their web site??

Geomac

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---

Bruce Hagen

Oct 5, 2008, 10:08:32 AM10/5/08
$6.00 US. Pennies by today's standards.

You would have to ask your question to MS. I can't speak for them, but why
would they offer something for free that is part of a paid program?

Please be reminded that all development of OE ceased in June of 08 and
besides a security update if needed, WYSIWYG. OE will never change.

Do you have an Office 2003 CD? You tagged onto a thread that was very old.
The canned reply I have been using for quite some time is different.

You no longer have spell checking capabilities in some languages in Outlook
Express 6.0 after you install the 2007 Microsoft Office system:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932974

Outlook Express cannot use the MS Word spell check in Office 2007.

Downloading a free spell check is the simplest way around this.

Vampirefo Spell Check.

From Major Geeks:

From SnapFile:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/spelloe.html

TinySpell:
http://www.tinyspell.m6.net/ (Checks the spelling as you type).

Australian English Spell Check

(Also suitable for other English speaking countries.)
http://www.justlocal.com.au/clients/oespellcheck/

If you have a previous version of Office, see this:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2006/20061228.htm
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"geomac" <gmli...@bbmax.co.uk> wrote in message

geomac

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:15 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
No Bruce I don't have an Office 2003 CD - used to have separate Word Excel
etc. Anyway, many thanks for trying to help. Maybe I'll try saving up the $6
for the Oz version!! But I resnt having to do that - I'm from Scotland after
all!!!

Geomac

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---

Bruce Hagen

Oct 5, 2008, 11:34:25 AM10/5/08
I see your point. I'd rather spend the money on a few pints myself. <wink>
--
~Bruce

"geomac" <gmli...@bbmax.co.uk> wrote in message

Ken

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:15 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Perhaps ABC spell check

Add spell checking, thesaurus and dictionary/word lookup functions to
Outlook Express! ABCSpell installs in seconds and works like part of Outlook
Express. Checks spelling manually or automatically on "Send". Displays
suggestions for 13+ languages.

http://3d2f.com/download/29-403-abcspell-for-outlook-express-free-download.shtml

select a mirror for free download ABCSpell for Outlook Express 7.2.4.1:
http://www.isota.com/downloads/otherdownloads/abcspell.exe
http://www.isota.com/downloads/otherdownloads/abcspell.exe

"geomac" <gmli...@bbmax.co.uk> wrote in message

---

Bruce Hagen

Oct 5, 2008, 12:26:34 PM10/5/08
"geomac" balked at $6.00. I don't think he will want to pay $29.95. <g>
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Imperial Beach, CA

"Ken" <Pleas...@NewsGroup.Thanks> wrote in message

Ken

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:16 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Just providing alternative option for comparison.

Ken

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

---

geomac

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:20 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Thanks Ken - I thought that the download was FREE!!! Anyway I have downloaded
it and will give it a try

Thanks for your help

Geomac

Bruce Hagen

Oct 6, 2008, 10:32:25 AM10/6/08
The download is free, but only for a 15 day trial.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"geomac" <gmli...@bbmax.co.uk> wrote in message

geomac

Apr 26, 2011, 1:28:22 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Right on again Bruce - I just found out and removed it - grrrrrr. Maybe $6
isn't so bad!!

Thanks

Geomac

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

---

Harry

Apr 26, 2011, 1:29:25 PM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> Release to manufacturing.
>
> From:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle
>
> Microsoft and others use the term "release to manufacturing" (RTM) to refer
> to this version (for commercial products, like Windows XP, as in, "Build
> 2600 is the Windows XP RTM release"), and "release to Web" (RTW) for freely
> downloadable products. Typically, RTM is weeks or months before General
> Availability (GA) because the RTM version must be burned to disc and boxed
> etc.

> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "Bill E" <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK, I'll bite what the hell does RTM mean?
> > --
> > Regards,
> > WJE

Rex

Mar 26, 2009, 1:25:01 PM3/26/09
this process also worked using microsoft Office 2000. Thank you for the
suggestion.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> I can't say for sure if it will work with Office 2000. I haven't run into
> that as yet.
>
> I have been using the Vampirefo spell check with my last three machines with
> no problem at all.

> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> ~IB-CA~
>
> "Dell Boy" <Dell B...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> > Thank you for this information.
> >
> > I tried third party spell checkers once before and they caused problems so
> > think I prefer your work around. Office 2007 replced Office 2000, does
> > this
> > make any difference to the detail of your work around?

Charles

Apr 16, 2009, 2:36:01 AM4/16/09

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

> You're welcome. Don't expect anything to be *fixed*. Since many people never
> had Office, and Outlook Express never had its own spell check, and is no
> longer being produced, there is nothing to fix.

> --
>
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express

> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> "jerryp49" <jerr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Bruce!
> > I used your option "C" (using my old Office XP 2002 English dictionary) to
> > correct the "Fench Only" selection for spelling check in OE on my new,
> > clean
> > installation. I just had loaded WIN XP Pro SP2 along with Office 2007 Pro
> > Plus and found this problem.
> >
> > Your solution worked like a champ! Thanks. I hope MS will make a change
> > this software so others will not have to serch for the solution like I
> > did.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Jerry

> Recently my outlook express also have the problem of french language spelling, but after I install third party software from : -
Vampirefo:
> >> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2952
And now my spelling is back on business. Thanks for your solution. Cheer~~~

Mac@discussions.microsoft.com Andrew Mac

Aug 6, 2009, 2:42:01 PM8/6/09

Andrew Mac

Aug 6, 2009, 2:51:01 PM8/6/09

There is a Folder (Spell Checker for OE 2.1) which contains a file
English.exe. Run this file to correct Spelling Check from French to
English. A computer technician corrected this same problem for me in
about 2 minutes.
It is loading more messages.