Duplicate Messages Received in Outlook Express

Jean Larson

Jun 7, 2004, 1:13:22 PM6/7/04
Hello,
I have been searching the internet and your postings for help with this
problem but so far have not been successful with anything we tried.

My friend recently started receiving duplicate emails from everyone. We
called Verizon and was told to check to see if the properties in the
Outlook program was sent to "leave messages on server." It was not. Then
they told us to go into the Web Mail and delete the some 485 messages in
the mailbox. We also did this and emptied the mailbox but the new
messages are still being recieved in duplicate.

The only thing I can think of that we did was set up an additional email
on her husband's computer so he can have his own identity. He is NOT
receiving duplicate messages, just the wife.

We found the following information somewhere, tried it, but it also
didn't work because we searched for Pop3uidl.dbx and there was no file
on her Windows XP computer. (I also searched my computer running
Windows XP and it didn't have this file either.)

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, rename the Pop3uidl.dbx file, and then restart
Outlook Express. Follow these steps:

1. Click Exit on the File menu to quit Outlook Express.
2. Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
3. In the Search for files or folders named box, type Pop3uidl.dbx,
and then click Search Now.
4. Under Search Results, right-click the Pop3uidl.dbx file, and then
click Rename.
5. Type Pop3uidl.old, and then press ENTER.
6. To start Outlook Express, click Start, point to Programs, and
then click Outlook Express.

Please help us resolve this annoying problem of receiving duplicate
messages.

Thank you.

Jean

Bruce Hagen

Jun 7, 2004, 1:34:50 PM6/7/04
See if this helps:

Tools>Options>General tab. Uncheck either: When starting, go directly
to my Inbox folder or, Send and receive messages at startup.
--
Bruce Hagen
~IB-CA~

"Jean Larson" <plar...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

PA Bear

Jun 7, 2004, 1:57:54 PM6/7/04
POP3 mail: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#pop3uidl

HTTP (Hotmail) and IMAP: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/faqs/why.htm#dupes

**In WindowsXP, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default marked as
hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files
and Folders under Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View.**
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP