Update KB897715

Douglas Forst

Aug 3, 2005, 5:55:41 PM8/3/05
I am unable to install update KB897715. Appears to be a version conflict. Help
displays 6.00.2800.1123 as the current verson number for Outlook Express.
Installer error code is 0x8007F302. No mention of this code anywhere on the
MS site. Tried applying previous upates but all appear to be installed. Of
course now everytime I run update this patch fails. Any suggestions?

--
Douglas Forst

PA Bear

Aug 3, 2005, 6:15:40 PM8/3/05
Windows version?

OE Help > About > Files: What version of MSOE.DLL is listed here?

Are you attempting to install 897715 via Windows Update website?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Douglas Forst

Aug 3, 2005, 6:50:01 PM8/3/05
Heres the list just in case it helps.

ACCTRES.DLL 5.50.4807.1700
COMCTL32.DLL 5.81
CSAPI3T1.DLL 1.0.2415
DIRECTDB.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
INETCOMM.DLL 5.50.4952.2800
INETRES.DLL 5.50.4807.1700
MAPI32.DLL 1.0.2518.0
MSHTML.DLL 6.00.2800.1505
MSIDENT.DLL 6.00.2800.1106
MSOE.DLL 6.00.2800.1158.
MSOEACCT.DLL 5.50.4807.1700
MSOERES.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
MSOERT2.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
OEMIMPORT.DLL 6.002800.1123
OLE32.DLL 5.00.2195.7034
RICHED20.DLL 5.30.23.1215
RICHED32.DLL 5.00.2134.1
WAB32.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
WAB32RES.DLL 6.00.2800.1106
WLDAP32.DLL 5.00.2195.7017

Tried the update both ways, from the site and by independent download. No joy.
--
Douglas Forst

PA Bear

Aug 3, 2005, 7:03:52 PM8/3/05
>> Windows version?

I'm guessing Win2K (SP?). Have you ever had occasion to reinstall IE6?

That list is a mess! No wonder you're having problems.

> Tried the update both ways, from the site and by independent download. No
> joy.

Windows Update offers you 897715?
--
~PA Bear

Douglas Forst wrote:
> Heres the list just in case it helps.
>
> ACCTRES.DLL 5.50.4807.1700
> COMCTL32.DLL 5.81
> CSAPI3T1.DLL 1.0.2415
> DIRECTDB.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
> INETCOMM.DLL 5.50.4952.2800
> INETRES.DLL 5.50.4807.1700
> MAPI32.DLL 1.0.2518.0
> MSHTML.DLL 6.00.2800.1505
> MSIDENT.DLL 6.00.2800.1106
> MSOE.DLL 6.00.2800.1158.
> MSOEACCT.DLL 5.50.4807.1700
> MSOERES.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
> MSOERT2.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
> OEMIMPORT.DLL 6.002800.1123
> OLE32.DLL 5.00.2195.7034
> RICHED20.DLL 5.30.23.1215
> RICHED32.DLL 5.00.2134.1
> WAB32.DLL 6.00.2800.1123
> WAB32RES.DLL 6.00.2800.1106
> WLDAP32.DLL 5.00.2195.7017
>
> Tried the update both ways, from the site and by independent download. No
> joy.

Douglas Forst

Aug 3, 2005, 7:03:04 PM8/3/05
Sorry forgot the windows version which is: Windows 2K Professioanl Version
5.0, Build 2195, Service Pack 4 with all available updates.
--
Douglas Forst

Douglas Forst

Aug 3, 2005, 7:16:02 PM8/3/05
No I have not had to reinstall IE6 but have had the usual MS troubles with
dll's. Everyone wants to install their own version of the dll's and you don't
always catch the old ones. As I use Outlook for my mail program I think I
will just uninstall OE6 and make the update error go away. Thanks for your
help.

--
Douglas Forst

PA Bear

Aug 3, 2005, 8:11:57 PM8/3/05
As you wish.

It's not an unknown problem in Win2K:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x8007F302&qt_s=Search&sa=N&tab=gw

You seem to be suffering from what we call "Version Hell", though it's
mainly seen only in IE6 in WinME. The solution would be to uninstall and
then reinstall IE6 SP1, then check in at Windows Update again. However, to
do so successfully in Win2K users are advised to uninstall any Service Packs
(SPs) which we installed *after* the original install of IE6.

Know, too, that even for Win2K SP4 users who don't have your problem Windows
Update seems to be offering OE Cumulative Patches in the wrong order which
leads to even greater problems, especially for those using OL as default
Mail Client. For an overview and the fix, see the latter posts (start with
#32 by Gary Smith) in this long thread here:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress/browse_frm/thread/77139f947da15bba/b69f96f39b449575?lnk=st&q=897715&rnum=2&hl=en#b69f96f39b449575

--

Douglas Forst wrote:
> No I have not had to reinstall IE6 but have had the usual MS troubles with
> dll's. Everyone wants to install their own version of the dll's and you
> don't always catch the old ones. As I use Outlook for my mail program I
> think I will just uninstall OE6 and make the update error go away. Thanks
> for your help.

PA Bear

Aug 3, 2005, 8:19:27 PM8/3/05
PS: If you found it necessary to post about this to Windows Update
newsgroup, too, it'd have been preferable if you'd crossposted one (1)
message to both newsgroups instead of making separate posts.