Message Rules - limit to how many?

1 view

May Hem

Apr 27, 2005, 3:22:24 PM4/27/05

I have a ga-zillion mail boxes on my system (no i'm not neurotic, i just
manage websites ... or maybe i am?)

anyway, i've got a long long list - probably over 100 - message rules to
help me sort mail, plus a BIG rule to help clear out spam.

lately though, some of my fitered messages seem to be going to the trash, as
well as bona fide email from friends. the rules governing them are actually
at the top of the rules list, so I'm not sure what is going wrong.

if any can advise, thanks for all...

mmM

Bruce Hagen

Apr 27, 2005, 3:30:21 PM4/27/05
Rule entries including Blocked Senders can handle up to 4,096.

Some Message Rule Ideas:
http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/messagerules.htm

Some tips:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/rules.htm

Message Rules not working?:
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/faqs/why.htm#rules

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - (IE/OE)
~IB-CA~

"May Hem" <mil...@me.com> wrote in message

Vanguard

Apr 27, 2005, 3:54:49 PM4/27/05
"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote in message

> Rule entries including Blocked Senders can handle up to 4,096.
>
> Some Message Rule Ideas:
> http://www.mindspring.com/~majik/messagerules.htm
>
> Some tips:
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/tips/rules.htm
>
> Message Rules not working?:
> http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/faqs/why.htm#rules
>
> "May Hem" <mil...@me.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a ga-zillion mail boxes on my system (no i'm not neurotic, i
>> just manage websites ... or maybe i am?)
<snip>

Just so you know why there is a limit of 4096 rules (which isn't
mentioned in the linked articles), they are saved in the registry under
a key name consisting of 3 hexadecimal digits. That means your rules
are numbered 000 to FFF (for 4096 decimal). They are saved under:

HKCU\Identities\{identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Rules

under the subkeys:

Filter (this stores your views)
Mail (mail rules)
News (newsgroup rules)

Blocked senders are save under:

HKCU\Identities\{identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0\Block Senders

Since this is a registry key in which data items are stored under it, I
suspect the maximum number of entries (i.e., blocked senders) is 65,536
which, I believe, is the max number of nodes (indexes) under a registry
key. I think the biggest list of blocked senders that I've seen was
around 3,500 - but that was because the user was so foolish as to
actually believe that spammers use the same e-mail address each time
they spew their spam.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "DELETE", add "~VN56~" to Subject.

PA Bear

Apr 27, 2005, 4:36:41 PM4/27/05
Vanguard wrote:
> <snip>
> Just so you know why there is a limit of 4096 rules (which isn't
> mentioned in the linked articles), they are saved in the registry under
> a key name consisting of 3 hexadecimal digits. That means your rules
> are numbered 000 to FFF (for 4096 decimal). They are saved under:
>
> HKCU\Identities\{identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\5.0\Rules
>
> under the subkeys:
>
> Filter (this stores your views)
> Mail (mail rules)
> News (newsgroup rules)
>
> Blocked senders are save under:
>
> HKCU\Identities\{identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\5.0\Block Senders
>
> Since this is a registry key in which data items are stored under it, I
> suspect the maximum number of entries (i.e., blocked senders) is 65,536
> which, I believe, is the max number of nodes (indexes) under a registry
> key. I think the biggest list of blocked senders that I've seen was
> around 3,500 - but that was because the user was so foolish as to
> actually believe that spammers use the same e-mail address each time
> they spew their spam.

When asked, a programmer on the OE Team confirmed that 4,096 is the limit,
*including* Block Senders, Vanguard.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Bruce Hagen

Apr 27, 2005, 4:58:53 PM4/27/05
Any relationship to the 64 bit system? 64 x 64 = 4,096. Coincidence?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Apr 27, 2005, 8:19:30 PM4/27/05
"PA Bear" <PABe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

If Vanguard is correct, the limits should be independent, not cumulative.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

PA Bear

Apr 27, 2005, 10:05:29 PM4/27/05

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franks...@mvps.org> wrote in message

Indeed. I've pinged Oji and Kanna to weigh in on this.
--
~PAB

Vanguard

Apr 27, 2005, 11:44:08 PM4/27/05
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franks...@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:ueHUte4S...@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...

There are 4096 allowed for each *set* or subkey. That is, you get 4096
rules for news, 4096 rules for e-mail, and supposedly 4096 definitions
of customized views (but I severely doubt the GUI could disply more than
a couple dozen in the drop-down menu list). It may be that there is
also a 4096 limit on blocked senders. I don't have any blocked senders.
When you have blocked senders, is each one also given a subkey with a
hexadecimal name 000 through FFF? If so, that would explain the 4096
limit on blocked senders, too. However, each 4096 limit is independent
since each is under a different subkey, so you could have up to 4096
mail rules + 4096 news rules + 4096 custom views + 4096 blocked senders.