MSOE.DLL help needed

1 view

Jan Smit

Sep 6, 2009, 2:59:40 PM9/6/09
Please help. OE6 doesn't start because "msoe.dll" isn't found.
It is there and all dbx are archive-not-read-only and I tried everything
visable on usenet, including installation of Internet Explorer 7. Hoped that
the last action would install e new OE-6 or OE-7.

Any solution?
I work on a PC XP-SP3
Please...

Jan Smit

Sep 6, 2009, 3:01:44 PM9/6/09

"Jan Smit" <Jan-...@invalid.nl> schreef in bericht
> I work on a PC XP-SP3 >>> XP-Home in Dutch
> Please...

Bruce Hagen

Sep 6, 2009, 3:06:24 PM9/6/09
OE6 is the last version of OE and is part of IE6 so IE7 would make no
difference.

Start here.

When OE crashes or won't start:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

"Jan Smit" <Jan-...@invalid.nl> wrote in message
> [...]

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 6, 2009, 4:42:52 PM9/6/09
Start here: http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Jan Smit

Sep 7, 2009, 4:15:24 AM9/7/09

"Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> schreef in bericht

> OE6 is the last version of OE and is part of IE6 so IE7 would make no
> difference.
>
> Start here.
>
> When OE crashes or won't start:
> http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

Thank you for trying. This article is from a stone-age, I presume. Even
Windows 98 and 98 SE are named.
To follow that article, which I did:
1) my disc is not full
2) Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could not be
initialized. Outlook Express may not be installed correctly
This is very true, but there is no given we to reinstall OE
3) When OE crashes or won't start: Close OE. Wisdom, this is
4) Clear the checkbox for the Read-only attribute. There is/was no
Read-only attribute set.
5) If Outlook Express will not start, move the *.dbx files from your
store folder and into a new empty folder
I did. For back-up purposes. Tried also to clear the lot as OE
should repair itself, but still the same error: msoe.dll not found
6) If you still cannot start OE, your Identity in the registry is
probably damaged.
Download the Force Identity Logon script.- Run the script to access
the Identities Manager.- Create a new Identity, then switch to it when
prompted.
I created a new account. Tried to start OE there, same Error. I
suppose the registry of the new account should be without demaged lines. To
get as deep as suggested into the registry is to much for me. I learned to
live with a bad short-term memory, but for this one has to understand and
remember what has been done and why... Do you think the registry causes the
problem?

Any other sugestions? Is there a way to re-install Outlook Express? Can I
download this, besides the IE7 I installed on advise of some kind person,
who tried to help also?

Jan Smit

Sep 7, 2009, 4:19:57 AM9/7/09

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

> Start here: http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash
>
> General OE Caveats:
>
> - Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
> folders created for this purpose.
>
> - Empty Deleted Items folder daily.
>
> - Frequently perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working
> offline". More at http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm
>
> - Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt
> to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic
> Compacting is taking place.
>
> - Disable email scanning by your anti-virus application. It can cause
> corruption (i.e., loss of messages) and provides no additional protection:
>
> Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email
> http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm

So sorry, these are not helpfull, besides the given link by �2000-2005 Tom
Koch , wich I tried some days ago, refer to Bruces message.

Bruce Hagen

Sep 7, 2009, 9:47:51 AM9/7/09

"Jan Smit" <Jan-...@invalid.nl> wrote in message

OE hasn't changed since that article was written. At least no concerning
this issue.

With OE closed, locate Folders.dbx in the message store and delete it.

Consequences of deleting Folders.dbx:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/store.htm#deldbx

Tools | Options | Maintenance | Store Folder will reveal the location of
your Outlook Express files. Write the location down and navigate to it in
Windows Explorer or, copy and paste it into Start | Run.

In WinXP, Win2K & Win2K3, the OE user files (DBX and WAB) are by default
marked as hidden. To view these files in Windows Explorer, you must enable
Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options
Icon | View, or in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View.

If still no joy:

Courtesy of MVP Frank Saunders [RIP]

Errors in DIRECTDB.DLL or MSOE.DLL generally indicate corruption in the
message store. Start by moving Folders.dbx to an empty Windows folder. You
will lose your folder hierarchy and the lists of newsgroups on the news
servers, but it might get you into OE. Note: The DBX file are hidden files
in Win2K, WinXP and Win2K3.

If that doesn't do it then move all of the DBX files to the same folder as
Folders.dbx. You should now get into OE. Try importing the messages from the
folder you moved the DBX files to. If you can't, you can use one of these
tools to extract the messages:

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress: {much faster for large files}
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

Note: It can take a long time (days with really large folders).

The messages can then be dragged from the Windows folder back into a folder
in an open instance of OE.

Also See:

OLEXP: Error Message: Outlook Express Could Not Be Started Because MSOE.DLL
Could Not Be Loaded
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q232480

Error message "Outlook Express could not be started because Msoe.dll could
not be loaded"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q296512

Error message "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could
not be loaded" when you start Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q272265

OLEXP: Error Message: The Identity Login Could Not Be Started
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q249893

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 7, 2009, 2:56:27 PM9/7/09
> So sorry, these are not helpfull, besides the given link by �2000-2005 Tom

> Koch , wich I tried some days ago, refer to Bruces message.

Did you try all of the suggestions at
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash? (They're as valid today
as they were 4+ years ago.)

The caveats I posted were to help you avoid this problem in the future.

Steve Cochran

Sep 8, 2009, 8:47:10 AM9/8/09
This is an OE catchall error message that is completely false in its
information. Normally all that is required is to delete folders.dbx.

If you moved all the files out of the message store directory and OE still
won't start, then the problem is more serious. I would run System file
checker

SFC /scannow

and see if that detects any problems. If that doesn't fix the situation,
give the other things you have tried, then I would backup the Identities key
in the registry and then delete it completely. OE should create and
populate a new one when it starts (if it will start then).

steve

Jan Smit

Sep 10, 2009, 4:17:11 PM9/10/09

"Jan Smit" <Jan-...@invalid.nl> schreef in bericht

So sorry, just back from hospital. Will respond in a week

Steve Cochran

Sep 12, 2009, 8:12:55 AM9/12/09
Just delete folders.dbx.

steve

"Jan Smit" <Jan-...@invalid.nl> wrote in message

Jan Smit

Sep 14, 2009, 4:19:47 AM9/14/09

"Steve Cochran" <scoc...@oehelp.com> schreef in bericht

> This is an OE catchall error message that is completely false in its
> information. Normally all that is required is to delete folders.dbx.
>
> If you moved all the files out of the message store directory and OE still
> won't start, then the problem is more serious. I would run System file
> checker
>
> SFC /scannow

This could have found some problems, but not when having a disk with XP-SP1
while SP3 with many updates are on the computer.
Thank you for trying

Jan Smit

Sep 14, 2009, 4:21:51 AM9/14/09

> Did you try all of the suggestions at
> http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash? (They're as valid
> today as they were 4+ years ago.)
>
> The caveats I posted were to help you avoid this problem in the future.

It was all about defects in the dbx-files and there is not the problem.
All i wanted to do and asked for is to re-install OE-6 but MS made that
impossible.

Jan Smit

Sep 14, 2009, 4:31:00 AM9/14/09

> Just delete folders.dbx.
>
> steve

Forget it, that works only if one ore more dbases are corrupt.
As I wrote, I needed to re-install OE. So first I installed IE-7 and hoped
OE-6 was also replaced. No luck
My solution at last:
Uninstalled OE and IE from Configuration (Windows setup)
Deleted the complete OE-folder within Program Files (in safe mode). Than
erased manually every folder about IE or OE.
Re-installed XP-SP1 from Disk, with the sugestion "use only files from CD"
and that did the trick. So now SP-2, Windows update, SP3, Windows update and
it seems to work.
OE does, at least.

Thank you for helping, altough all remarks are about corrupt d-base files
and this was not the problem.

Regards

Ron Sommer

Sep 14, 2009, 6:44:32 AM9/14/09

You went to a lot of work to generate new dbx files.
The only way that you could prove that it was not dbx files was to have
tried removing the dbx files before you did the reinstall.
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

"Jan Smit" <Jan-...@invalid.nl> wrote in message

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 14, 2009, 1:01:34 PM9/14/09

Reinstalling OE will *not* resolve your problem.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 14, 2009, 1:04:51 PM9/14/09
Jan Smit wrote:
> ...So first I installed IE-7 and hoped

> OE-6 was also replaced. No luck
> My solution at last:
> Uninstalled OE and IE from Configuration (Windows setup)
> Deleted the complete OE-folder within Program Files (in safe mode). Than
> erased manually every folder about IE or OE.
> Re-installed XP-SP1 from Disk, with the sugestion "use only files from
> CD"
> and that did the trick....

Did you "uninstall" IE and OE via Add/Remove Windows Components?

Did you do a Repair Install or did you format your HDD and do a clean
install?

Jan Smit

Sep 15, 2009, 3:23:32 AM9/15/09

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABe...@gmail.com> schreef in bericht

On both questions: Yes, but not a format. That costs money, earn a living on
this computer

What did help was, after removing OE and IE a re-install XP-SP2 Home from CD
All was fine and neat, untill Windows-update came along. It looks like some
update messes up things...

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sep 15, 2009, 10:43:54 AM9/15/09
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress/browse_frm/thread/99ea8726d7ad65c3#

Jan Smit wrote:
>>> ...So first I installed IE-7 and hoped
>>> OE-6 was also replaced. No luck
>>> My solution at last:
>>> Uninstalled OE and IE from Configuration (Windows setup)
>>> Deleted the complete OE-folder within Program Files (in safe mode). Than
>>> erased manually every folder about IE or OE.
>>> Re-installed XP-SP1 from Disk, with the sugestion "use only files from
>>> CD"
>>> and that did the trick....
>>

> PA Bear wrote:
>> Did you "uninstall" IE and OE via Add/Remove Windows Components?
>>
>> Did you do a Repair Install or did you format your HDD and do a clean
>> install?
>
> On both questions: Yes, but not a format. That costs money, earn a living
> on
> this computer

Well, you're going to have to format now, Jan. Keep reading...

> What did help was, after removing OE and IE a re-install XP-SP2 Home from
> CD
> All was fine and neat, untill Windows-update came along. It looks like
> some
> update messes up things...

1. You can remove /access to/ IE and OE via Add/Remove Windows Components
but that does NOT uninstall either application.

You could have uninstalled IE7 via Add/Remove Programs (if IE7 was installed
after SP3 was installed) which automatically restores IE6 *but you did not
do this* so...

2. By doing a Repair Install (vs. a Clean Install), you've essentially
screwed the pooch and IE is now in a "confused" (unreliable; buggy) state;
cf. http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx.

The only way you're going to get a fully-functional WinXP and IE now would
be as follows:

Backup your personal data*, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

options/settings for newsgroups and IMAP or Hotmail accounts. Many of your
Message Rules might need to be edited, too; cf.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EAH

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

www.banthecheck.com