Compacting question

Dr. Indera

Jul 3, 2004, 2:53:40 AM7/3/04
hello,

i checked the size of the dbx files in windows explorer and noticed some
that were quite large - over 60 mb. they were all newsgroup files. i went in
and marked all the messages as being read. then i compacted all folders and
went back to windows explorer and the dbx size was larger than before i
cleaned up the newsgroup emails. how is it possible that the file size is
larger after removing messages?

indera
--
* * * * * * * * * *
Don't just live life.

Ron Sommer

Jul 3, 2004, 6:52:10 AM7/3/04
Marking a messages as read, does not remove the message.
View, Current View, Show All Messages will let you see all messages.

Sort by Sent column. Oldest at top.
Highlight the first message.
Scroll to a newer message.
Hold down Shift and left click on the newer message.
Delete key.
Yes
Yes
Work Offline
Compact folder.

Another way
Sort by Sent column. Oldest at top.
Scroll to the last message to be deleted and left click on it.
Shift + Home
Delete key.
Yes
Yes
Work Offline
Compact folder.
--
Ron Sommer

"Dr. Indera" <dr.inder...@cant.spam.me> wrote in message

PA Bear

Jul 3, 2004, 5:43:19 PM7/3/04
You should be manually compacting all OE folders frequently (once or twice a
week isn't too often).

Before compacting, Clean Up Your Newsgroups (delete old messages)
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm#cleannews
--
HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

AumHa Forums
http://forum.aumha.org

Protect Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect

Dr. Indera

Jul 3, 2004, 8:00:10 PM7/3/04
hi ron,

thank you. i had no idea that i was suppose to delete the messages from
newsgroups. i thought compacting the folders was sufficient.
this reduced my oe backups by almost 50 meg.
thank you again.

indera
--
* * * * * * * * * *
Don't just live life.

"Ron Sommer" <rso...@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
: Marking a messages as read, does not remove the message.

: >
: >
: >
:

Dr. Indera

Jul 3, 2004, 8:01:20 PM7/3/04
hi pa bear,

i compact right before i backup my email, which is at least every 3 days.
what got me was that i didn't know that i should also delete old messages.
<smile>
thank you

indera
--