Errors and unable to rename DBXs.

mechp...@gmail.com

Jan 28, 2008, 3:48:13 PM1/28/08
I have a co-worker using Windows XP Home (I just discovered using
SP1!) and Outlook Express.
He started getting a send/receive error 0x800C013B.
My research said that was a corrupt Sent.dbx and I need to rename it.
I did, OE recreated it. But then, he started getting 0x800C0133 send/
receive errors.
That one from what I can find is Inbox.dbx.
So I renamed that to .old and OE created a new Inbox and all sends/
receives fine.

But, he had 2GB (yes, GB) of mail, a lot of it vital, in that old
Inbox. So I thought I'd just rename that old one to: OldInbox.dbx and
see if he could access it as a folder, and just not bring any new mail
into it.
But whenever I try to rename it, (normal boot or safe mode) it stalls
and crashes on the renaming process the second I hit ENTER to activate
the new name. I have to force a reboot or else explorer (file, not
internet) doesn't work right.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on this? We really need to get him
to be able to just access those old emails at least.
Thanks!
-Liam

Bruce Hagen

Jan 28, 2008, 3:59:44 PM1/28/08
Do you still have the messages in the current Inbox in OE? Create a new
local folder of your own and move the messages to it. Then, with OE closed,
you can delete the Inbox.dbx file and a new, empty Inbox will be created
when you open OE.

By renaming the dbx file, you will have to go through hoops to get the
messages back.

General precautions for Outlook Express:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move your
mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no folders are
open. Then: File | Work Offline (or double click Working Online in the
Status Bar). File | Folder | Compact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer
of protection that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as
time-outs and account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will
continue to protect you sufficiently. For more, see:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

In Tools | Options | Maintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.

And backup often.

Backup & Restore:
http://www.insideoe.com/backup/

This is a great two click program:

Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB)
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

<mechp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

mechphisto

Apr 26, 2011, 11:11:21 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Well, that's some good advice I'll keep in mind!
I usually do a decent job with my Outlook users, helping them keep
their PST's small and use multiple, and use PST scan now and then,
etc.
But this guy with his laptop, always in and out, I've neglected his
OE.

Anyway, the thing is, I can't access the old mail any longer. I
renamed the old 2GB dbx to Inbox.dbx.old, thus rendering it invisible
to OE.
The new inbox.dbx OE created is of course empty except for whatever
comes in after the dbx was created.
I can't rename the old one back to Inbox.dbx or anything .dbx because
(file) explorer seems to crash any time I try to rename it.

Thanks for replying, and the advice!
-Liam

> Outlook Express Quick Backup (OEQB)http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx

> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA
>

> <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have a co-worker using Windows XP Home (I just discovered using
> > SP1!) and Outlook Express.
> > He started getting a send/receive error 0x800C013B.
> > My research said that was a corrupt Sent.dbx and I need to rename it.
> > I did, OE recreated it. But then, he started getting 0x800C0133 send/
> > receive errors.
> > That one from what I can find is Inbox.dbx.
> > So I renamed that to .old and OE created a new Inbox and all sends/
> > receives fine.
>
> > But, he had 2GB (yes, GB) of mail, a lot of it vital, in that old
> > Inbox. So I thought I'd just rename that old one to: OldInbox.dbx and
> > see if he could access it as a folder, and just not bring any new mail
> > into it.
> > But whenever I try to rename it, (normal boot or safe mode) it stalls
> > and crashes on the renaming process the second I hit ENTER to activate
> > the new name. I have to force a reboot or else explorer (file, not
> > internet) doesn't work right.
>
> > Can anyone give me any suggestions on this? We really need to get him
> > to be able to just access those old emails at least.
> > Thanks!
> > -Liam

---
* Synchronet * The Whitehouse BBS --- whitehouse.hulds.com --- check it out free usenet!
--- Synchronet 3.15a-Win32 NewsLink 1.92

Bruce Hagen

Jan 28, 2008, 4:23:16 PM1/28/08
You can't rename it back to Inbox.dbx because one already exists. Can you
rename it to Tem..dbx? Make sure OE is closed whenever you are working in
the message store.

If you can rename it to Temp.dbx, do so ant then drag it to the Desktop at
the top of the folder tree in Windows Explorer.

Open OE and create a folder with the *exact* same name as the one on the
Desktop, (Temp). Open the new folder and then close OE. Go to Windows
Explorer and locate the Message Store folder for your OE identity, but don't
open it. Click on the Desktop and drag the file from the Desktop in the
right hand pane to the OE store folder in the left pane. Prompt - "Do you
want to overwrite......."? Click Yes.

If that fails, you will need a recovery tool.

Macallan Outlook Express Extraction:
http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#macallan

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

DBXpress: {much faster for large files}
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx

--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

<mechp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

mechphisto

Apr 26, 2011, 11:11:21 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Again, thanks for the reply and the advice.
But as I said in my original post and my last reply, I can't rename
the old Inbox to ANYTHING.
I can't rename it OldInbox.dbx, not temp.dbx, not fubar.dbx.
Any time I try to rename it, after typing in the new name, the second
I hit ENTER to activate the new name, windows explorer stalls and
crashes. I can't even "End Task" it and start a new explorer session.
I can do nothing except force a reboot.

Thanks,
Liam

On Jan 28, 3:23 pm, "Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote:
> You can't rename it back to Inbox.dbx because one already exists. Can you
> rename it to Tem..dbx? Make sure OE is closed whenever you are working in
> the message store.
>
> If you can rename it to Temp.dbx, do so ant then drag it to the Desktop at
> the top of the folder tree in Windows Explorer.
>
> Open OE and create a folder with the *exact* same name as the one on the
> Desktop, (Temp). Open the new folder and then close OE. Go to Windows
> Explorer and locate the Message Store folder for your OE identity, but don't
> open it. Click on the Desktop and drag the file from the Desktop in the
> right hand pane to the OE store folder in the left pane. Prompt - "Do you
> want to overwrite......."? Click Yes.
>
> If that fails, you will need a recovery tool.
>
> Macallan Outlook Express Extraction:http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#macallan
>
> DBXtract:http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx
>
> DBXpress: {much faster for large files}http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
> --
> Bruce Hagen
> MS-MVP Outlook Express
> Imperial Beach, CA

---

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Jan 28, 2008, 6:08:38 PM1/28/08
Does this behavior persist in a new Named Identity (File > Identities > Add
new identity)?

> I have a co-worker using Windows XP Home (I just discovered using SP1!)...

Why hasn't SP2 been installed and Windows kept fully patched?

> ...But, he had 2GB (yes, GB) of mail, a lot of it vital, in that old
> Inbox.

I wouldn't even *attempt* to get the current Identity working...nor would I
attempt to import any data from the current identity into a new one.

1. Create and start using a new identity.

2. Copy all DBX files in the old identity (other than Folders.dbx) to
another Windows folder.

3. Get WinXP SP2 and all critical updates installed, then make certain
Automatic Updates is enabled.

4. Run a recovery utility on the copied DBX files. Any messages recovered
(don't get your hopes up) can then be dragged into an open folder in the new
identity. Do NOT drag them to Inbox or any other default folder!

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [not available in SP2] and frequently
perform a manual compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- Do not cancel Automatic Compacting, should it occur, and do not attempt to
close OE via Task Manager or shutdown your machine if Automatic Compacting
is taking place.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause such
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,

Apr 26, 2011, 11:11:24 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Can you move the files with the old messages to another folder and then
rename them?

> Again, thanks for the reply and the advice.
> But as I said in my original post and my last reply, I can't rename
> the old Inbox to ANYTHING.
> I can't rename it OldInbox.dbx, not temp.dbx, not fubar.dbx.
> Any time I try to rename it, after typing in the new name, the second
> I hit ENTER to activate the new name, windows explorer stalls and
> crashes. I can't even "End Task" it and start a new explorer session.
> I can do nothing except force a reboot.
>

> On Jan 28, 3:23 pm, "Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote:
>> You can't rename it back to Inbox.dbx because one already exists. Can you
>> rename it to Tem..dbx? Make sure OE is closed whenever you are working in
>> the message store.
>>
>> If you can rename it to Temp.dbx, do so ant then drag it to the Desktop
>> at
>> the top of the folder tree in Windows Explorer.
>>
>> Open OE and create a folder with the *exact* same name as the one on the
>> Desktop, (Temp). Open the new folder and then close OE. Go to Windows
>> Explorer and locate the Message Store folder for your OE identity, but
>> don't
>> open it. Click on the Desktop and drag the file from the Desktop in the
>> right hand pane to the OE store folder in the left pane. Prompt - "Do you
>> want to overwrite......."? Click Yes.
>>
>> If that fails, you will need a recovery tool.
>>
>> Macallan Outlook Express
>> Extraction:http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm#macallan
>>
>> DBXtract:http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx
>>
>> DBXpress: {much faster for large
>> files}http://www.oehelp.com/DBXpress/Default.aspx
>>

>> <mechphi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Well, that's some good advice I'll keep in mind!
>> > I usually do a decent job with my Outlook users, helping them keep
>> > their PST's small and use multiple, and use PST scan now and then,
>> > etc.
>> > But this guy with his laptop, always in and out, I've neglected his
>> > OE.
>>
>> > Anyway, the thing is, I can't access the old mail any longer. I
>> > renamed the old 2GB dbx to Inbox.dbx.old, thus rendering it invisible
>> > to OE.
>> > The new inbox.dbx OE created is of course empty except for whatever
>> > comes in after the dbx was created.
>> > I can't rename the old one back to Inbox.dbx or anything .dbx because
>> > (file) explorer seems to crash any time I try to rename it.

---

mechphisto

Apr 26, 2011, 11:11:26 AM4/26/11
To: microsoft.public.windows.
Well, I took the laptop home, renamed the file and hit ENTER and let
it set...for nearly an hour! Finally the pointer un-hourglassed and I
could see the file was finally renamed.
What in the world would cause a PC to take nearly an hour to rename a
file?

Anyway, after that followed earlier advice in creating an OE folder
and copying the oldInbox back over it, and all seems OK.
Also spent a couple of hours downloading and installing system
updates. =P

On Jan 28, 8:12 pm, "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM"

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Jan 30, 2008, 11:40:43 AM1/30/08

> Well, I took the laptop home, renamed the file and hit ENTER and let
> it set...for nearly an hour! Finally the pointer un-hourglassed and I
> could see the file was finally renamed.
> What in the world would cause a PC to take nearly an hour to rename a
> file?
>
> Anyway, after that followed earlier advice in creating an OE folder
> and copying the oldInbox back over it, and all seems OK.
> Also spent a couple of hours downloading and installing system
> updates. =P

That sounds like an anti-virus insisting on scanning the whole file before
letting you do anything with the file. What anti-virus are you using? I
hope it's not Norton or McAfee.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
www.fjsmjs.com