Cannot Save WebPages in IE6.0SP1 (either static or dynamic)

1 view

Alan

Aug 28, 2004, 10:39:35 AM8/28/04
G'day....I will say thanks in advance for anyone that
takes the time to offer me assistance or advice...

Firstly, I have checked the following Knowledge Base
Articles and have not been able to solve my problem:
-KB235589
-KB274696

I am running Win2K SP4, and IE 6.0SP1 (with updates:
Q837009, Q832894, Q31167, Q867801)

Now, onto my problem...

Basically, I cannot save webpages using IE (if I use
Netscape, I do not have a problem). This problem has only
recently started (last couple of months) and is starting
to drive me crazy. Basically, I get through to about a 98%
save and then get the error message "The Web page could
not be saved to the selected location"...and it is
inconvenient to have to launch Netscape to complete a save.

Oh, this problem occurs when I attempt to save
a 'complete' page or 'single file archive'. It does not
occur if I choose to save 'html only' - however, I
normally want the pictures saved too, so it is required
that I can save a 'complete' page.

I am logged in with Admin privelages when attempting all
of this too.

The only changes to my system have been (necessary) system
updates through 'Windows Update'.

For example, I cannot save the following page:
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/08/27/bc.environme
nt.climate.reut/index.html (URL may wrap)

If you can help me solve this problem it would be greatly
appreciated. The problem hasn't always been there, so it
should be curable, but it has got me beat (I have tried
reinstalling IE and that did not make a difference either)

PLEASE HELP !!!

Thanks,

Alan

Hans Le Roy

Aug 29, 2004, 8:53:49 AM8/29/04

It's possible that that page was created using Excel 2000:

Error Message: This Web Page Could Not Be Saved
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235589

Additionnaly, try to empty the cache and the history.

Kind regards

Hans Le Roy
MS MVP Win/IE-OE

"Alan" <anon...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Alan

Aug 30, 2004, 2:37:57 AM8/30/04

the article you refer to is one that I had already tried,
but to no avail. I have also emptied the cache and history
but still have had no luck.

Do you, or anyone else, have anyother suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan.

>.

assiegh

Sep 19, 2004, 3:52:57 AM9/19/04

The probable cause is that the web page contains a link to a StyleSheet
which resides
on a different server than the one where the page is located. After
some recent
security update (MS02-023 Patch or later), Internet Explorer blocks
access to
StyleSheet code if the code is on a different domain/server.
This is why the page fails to be saved.

For more information about MS02-023, please see:
322928 MS02-023: Patch Available to Disable Frames in the Restricted
Sites Zone
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=322928

The following is an example:
=====================
1. Open the web site in Internet Explorer on a machine
where MS02-023 security patch or later (such as Internet Explorer 6
SP1) is installed.

2. Select Internet Explorer File menu and select Save.
3. Leave 'Save as Type' to 'Web Page, complete (*.htm,*.html)

Before saving of the web page is complete, and error message appears:
"Error Saving Web Page: The Web page could not be saved to the selected
location".
You can click OK to close the message, but the page is not saved to
disk.

If you do the same with for example everything
works perfectly.

ANALYSIS
========
The difference is that postimees.ee uses:
<ink rel="stylesheet"
href="http://194.204.30.64/postimees/styles/postimees.css">
and aflonbadet:
<LINK rel="stylesheet" type="TEXT/CSS"
href="http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sidhuvud/css/files/0,3590,bas,00.css">

194.204.30.64 is a different server than the current web page, while
www.aftonbladet.se is in the same sever.

To resolve the problem, you can inform the web site administrator to
change
the StyleSheet location in the website.

Regards,
Talal Assiegh
Iraq

--
assiegh

Steve

Oct 8, 2004, 2:19:03 AM10/8/04
Hi, Alan--
It's that darned "Q867801" IE6 update--I started having the same problems
right after installing it. Even after uninstalling it, the problem
remains--"cannot save file to selected location." I've also noticed that
some of the folders I save to are being designated as "Read Only" but I
cannot alter their properties. MICROSOFT, YOUR UPDATES CAUSED THIS, HELP US
FIX IT!! THANK YOU, Steve.