Genuine Security Patch From MICROSOFT Or Scam?

julia294

Mar 15, 2005, 4:52:49 PM3/15/05
Is this genuine or a scam ---- a virus sent by someone imitating MICROSOFT?

julia294

----- Original Message -----
To: Client
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 10:46 AM
Subject: Internet Security Patch

  Microsoft   All Products |  Support |  Search |  Microsoft.com Guide
Microsoft Home

Microsoft Client

this is the latest version of security update, the "March 2005, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping your computer secure from these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to run executable on your system. This update includes the functionality of all previously released patches.

 System requirements Windows 95/98/Me/2000/NT/XP
 This update applies to MS Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
MS Outlook, version 8.00 and later
MS Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later
 Recommendation Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.
 How to install Run attached file. Choose Yes on displayed dialog box.
 How to use You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Product Support Services and Knowledge Base articles can be found on the Microsoft Technical Support web site. For security-related information about Microsoft products, please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site, or Contact Us.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

The names of the actual companies and products mentioned herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.

Contact Us  |  Legal  |  TRUSTe
©2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use  |  Privacy Statement |  Accessibility

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Mar 15, 2005, 6:33:20 PM3/15/05
"julia294" <juli...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is this genuine or a scam ---- a virus sent by someone imitating
> MICROSOFT?
>
> julia294

Virus.
Microsoft does not send unsolicited attachments.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

julia294

Mar 15, 2005, 7:47:14 PM3/15/05
Thank you.

That's what I thought.

So why doesn't this bastard get nailed to the wall by his cojones?

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE" <franks...@mvps.org> wrote in
message news:#OztFebK...@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

Jone Doe

Mar 15, 2005, 7:44:57 PM3/15/05
So why doesn't this bastard get nailed to the wall by his cojones?

Sure. No problem. who and where is he? People that do this don't exactly
publish their email address and home phone number.

"julia294" <juli...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

julia294

Mar 15, 2005, 8:49:01 PM3/15/05
For Frank Saunders:

Microsoft and the Law cannot run him down?

He has been doing this for quite some time -- surely he can be traced --
and castrated.

He can be sued for various violations too.

julia294

"Jone Doe" <fa...@nowhere.org> wrote in message

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE

Mar 15, 2005, 8:40:39 PM3/15/05

> For Frank Saunders:
>
> Microsoft and the Law cannot run him down?
>
> He has been doing this for quite some time -- surely he can be traced --
> and castrated.
>
> He can be sued for various violations too.
>
> julia294

You can't even trust the headers in the message to be correct. In general
it's not practical to try to chase these down, particular since the message
may have been sent without the owner's knowledge from an infected machine
that has your email address somewhere on its hard drive.

Opinicus

Mar 15, 2005, 11:51:37 PM3/15/05
"julia294" <juli...@hotmail.com> wrote

> So why doesn't this bastard get nailed to the wall by his
> cojones?

Because he doesn't have any...

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

julia294

Mar 16, 2005, 1:42:59 AM3/16/05
This is clearly criminal.

This pogue even copies the look and feel of a Microsoft page -- with some mistakes.

He needs to be ferreted out and prosecuted.

julia294

Mar 16, 2005, 1:48:24 AM3/16/05
This is clearly criminal.

This pogue even copies the look and feel of a Microsoft page -- with some mistakes.

He needs to be ferreted out and prosecuted.

This is a better copy of what he is sending.

BOGUS UPDATE....

Steve Cochran

Mar 16, 2005, 7:18:04 AM3/16/05
see www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#1

steve

[...]

c2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy
Statement | Accessibility