IE6 suddenly refuses to load certain pages.

Steve Silverman

Jul 31, 2006, 5:52:33 AM7/31/06
I am running IE6 on XP Home with all the latest service packs and updates.
It has been running perfectly well for as long as I can remember until about
a month ago when it started behaving peculiarly by refusing to load certain
sites properly. Examples of this are the BBC weather page which just returns
a blank screen, and the London Congestion Charging site which stays
obstinately on the second page no matter how many times I "click here".

I am as certain as I can be that I haven't implemented any changes that
would have caused this problem which does not occur on other computers in
the house.

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

Steve Silverman

Don Varnau

Jul 31, 2006, 6:33:08 AM7/31/06
First, clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

[XP SP2] From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons. Disable non-microsoft add-ons to
see if one of them is the culprit.
[Non SP2] Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third-party browser
extensions." If either of these helps, you still need to find the program,
BHO or add-on that's causing the problem.

Toolbar Cop from http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Toolkit.htm can help identify
and remove add-ons, BHOs, etc.

Disable (for diagnostic purposes) programs such as pop-up blockers,
security, toolbars and other add-ons for IE, anti-virus, etc. Take a look at
any program that might be interfering with IE. You may have to reconfigure,
reinstall, or not reinstall, a program.

*** Important... Turn on the Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or
Security Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.
- - - - -
Or, these sites both use Javascript...
Check any third-party security programs to see if one of them is blocking
scripts, scripting, active content. Norton Internet Security and a number of
other programs can be configured to block scripts.

Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Reinstall the scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download of Windows Script 5.6

Re-registering the DLLs listed in this article may help:
281679 - You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens
After You Click a Link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
- - - - -
Other possibilities at:
IE- Can't display- DNS Errors: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Steve Silverman" <ssilverm[at]btopenworld.com> wrote in message

Steve Silverman

Jul 31, 2006, 8:57:28 PM7/31/06

> Hi,

Well, I've now tried all of these suggestions, but nothing seems to help.
I'm well and truly baffled.

Steve Silverman

a_gunslinger

Aug 1, 2006, 10:30:58 AM8/1/06

We havew been having that same issue for a while at our woek. Wont
work on one system, but fine on another. The number of new occurrences
of this situatio has been increasingly. Firefox launches same pages
most of the time without incident. Would love to figure this out.

I have not tried Dons good guggestions, but I will.

T Rose@discussions.microsoft.com G T Rose

Aug 1, 2006, 11:25:01 AM8/1/06
I too have this issue on an XP Pro, Dell GX280 machine. I have updated,
purged, reinstalled and cannot get a number of pages to load on just one of
the many XP pcs running on site, blank screen and URL. A very odd symptom is
that the "Ctrl F" (find in page) shortcut does not work on this PC on any IE6
page. I have no other browsers installed so that is not an issue.

Steve Silverman

Aug 1, 2006, 6:35:07 PM8/1/06

"a_gunslinger" <todd...@uc.edu> wrote in message

> We havew been having that same issue for a while at our woek. Wont
> work on one system, but fine on another. The number of new occurrences
> of this situatio has been increasingly. Firefox launches same pages
> most of the time without incident. Would love to figure this out.

I've even tried downloading IE7 beta 3, but the same problem still occurs.
However, everything works fine with Firefox.

Steve Silverman

Don Varnau

Aug 1, 2006, 8:33:33 PM8/1/06

"Steve Silverman" <ssil...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message