internet connection problem

00ScarlettJohnson

Apr 16, 2007, 10:21:46 PM4/16/07
Few days ago, my IE 6.0 and firefox suddenly failed to go to any website
including yahoo and etc ... It showed "cannot find the webpage". I am
connecting to Internet through broadband at home and I figure out the
connection is still through and I still can ping to the website. But IE or
firefox cannot go anywhere. Can anyone please tell me if this is a virus or
network card problem or something else? Thanks.

Okie

Apr 16, 2007, 11:53:34 PM4/16/07
Most likely your system has been hijacked and is probably being used to
launder funds for the Russian mafia. The Rooskies are very computer savvy.
You should freeze all your accounts posthaste. This should be done not only
to protect your funds but also to ensure you are not implicated in any
international plots. Life in federal prison can be very lonely unless you
get adopted by a greasy stinking russian mobster.

Leo

" 00ScarlettJohnson" <E...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

00ScarlettJohnson

Apr 17, 2007, 12:06:42 AM4/17/07
Is this a joke or something?

"Okie" <conser...@rednek.com> wrote in message

00ScarlettJohnson

Apr 17, 2007, 12:17:33 AM4/17/07
Can anyone please help? Thanks.

Rock

Apr 17, 2007, 12:19:17 AM4/17/07
" 00ScarlettJohnson" <E...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Is this a joke or something?

> "Okie" <conser...@rednek.com> wrote

>> Most likely your system has been hijacked and is probably being used to
>> launder funds for the Russian mafia. The Rooskies are very computer
>> savvy. You should freeze all your accounts posthaste. This should be
>> done not only to protect your funds but also to ensure you are not
>> implicated in any international plots. Life in federal prison can be
>> very lonely unless you get adopted by a greasy stinking russian mobster.
>>
>> Leo
>>
>> " 00ScarlettJohnson" <E...@yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Few days ago, my IE 6.0 and firefox suddenly failed to go to any website
>>> including yahoo and etc ... It showed "cannot find the webpage". I am
>>> connecting to Internet through broadband at home and I figure out the
>>> connection is still through and I still can ping to the website. But IE
>>> or firefox cannot go anywhere. Can anyone please tell me if this is a
>>> virus or network card problem or something else? Thanks.

He's a troll, and a stupid one at that. He started today posting to a
variety of posts, with absurdities. Sorry I don't have an answer for you.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Elmo

Apr 17, 2007, 12:31:18 AM4/17/07

Please try these.

Click Start, Run, type:

netsh winsock reset

Press Enter key

Restart the system

You can also try this software download from a working machine:

LSP-Fix
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

--
Joe =o)

Richard in AZ

Apr 17, 2007, 11:23:38 AM4/17/07
Okie is an anal orifice that send out dumb useless responses. I have blocked him/her on my
computers.
Elmo's response is the one you want to try. If that does not work write again and you will get more
help.

Charlie

Apr 17, 2007, 2:53:21 PM4/17/07
If you have a cable modem you might want to unplug it for a couple of
minutes and then replug and let the modem reboot. First power your machine
down.

Also, you might want to try to access a web site using the IP address rather
than the URL. This will determine if it is a DNS issue.

PA Bear

Apr 17, 2007, 3:25:43 PM4/17/07
Excessive crossposting eliminated.

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal_and_Prevention:_Introduction
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v1.99.1
(http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to use.
It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware with
assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html,
http://forums.subratam.org/index.php?showforum=7,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or other appropriate forums for expert
analysis, not here.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear), working offline
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.org

00ScarlettJohnson

Apr 17, 2007, 8:11:15 PM4/17/07
Actually, I tried to use ip in IE but still doesn't work. And I tried to run
netsh winsock reset command. Things are getting worse. I cannot even connect
to the ISP. The error message is 619... One thing I am not sure if it is
related, the firewall is turned off automatically sometime when I reboot
winxp. It is weird. Please help. Thanks.

"Charlie" <Cha...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

00ScarlettJohnson

Apr 17, 2007, 8:21:53 PM4/17/07
In fact, I used another computer with the same line and it works. I brought
my computer to a computer expert. My computer can connect with his line. I
totally lost. Please help. Thanks.

Daave

Apr 18, 2007, 9:20:04 AM4/18/07

> Actually, I tried to use ip in IE but still doesn't work. And I tried
> to run netsh winsock reset command. Things are getting worse. I cannot
> even connect to the ISP. The error message is 619... One thing I am
> not sure if it is related, the firewall is turned off automatically
> sometime when I reboot winxp. It is weird. Please help. Thanks.

A few ideas:

Are you running any proxies?

Have you tried a clean boot?

Have you scanned for malware or run HijackThis?

Who is your ISP, and have you contacted them regarding settings?

Do you have problems with other areas of the Internet besides the Web?

Are you sure your connections are secure?

Which firewall do you use?

Do you also have a hardware firewall in your modem/router?

Have you tried a System Restore back to a time before this problem?

Do you recall anything in particular you may have done before this
problem arose?

Have you tried LSP-fix?

Al Ankers

Sep 29, 2007, 2:28:43 AM9/29/07
You are not alone. All of the suggestions are well intentioned , but usless.
Masterfull guesses, but in reality they haven't a clue.
So far I have been able to restart and clear up the problem. Sometimes the
IE6 diagnostic menu choice disappears so I cannot run it, however once it
tried to tell me that it had something to do with the firewall. As long as
the famous "OK, when all else fails, reboot!" works I'll use that method
until someone figures out what's wrong and posts it here. If you had a car
failed this often what would you do? Microsoft will not admit that they have
losey software. They just blame it on hackers and other software programmers
or viruses.

--
Al Ankers
2316 Covent Garden Road

Al Ankers

Sep 29, 2007, 3:30:00 AM9/29/07
I was just able to capture the following with the diagnodstic tool which was
available this time. It says the following:
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
info FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation
timed out
warn HTTP: Error 12002 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The operation
timed out
error Could not make an HTTP connection.

Can someone make sense out of this? What is causing the software to do this?

--
Al Ankers
2316 Covent Garden Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23456-7809
757 831-2581
aan...@cox.net

"Al Ankers" <aan...@cox.net> wrote in message

nass

Sep 29, 2007, 4:59:01 AM9/29/07

"Al Ankers" wrote:

> I was just able to capture the following with the diagnodstic tool which was
> available this time. It says the following:
> HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
>
> info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
> info FTP (Active): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
> warn HTTP: Error 12002 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The operation
> timed out
> warn HTTP: Error 12002 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The operation
> timed out
> error Could not make an HTTP connection.
>
> Can someone make sense out of this? What is causing the software to do this?

Open a Run command and type in:
regedit.exe click [OK] locate this Key, does the value exist on it?.
[-]HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\Prefixes =
ftp"="ftp://"
"gopher"="gopher://"
"home"="http://"
"mosaic"="http://"
"www"="http://

= ... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Taps:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.

[&] HTTP 1.1 Settings
[ ] Use HTTP 1.1 ,= Make sure this checked
[ ] Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections
If you using proxy check the proxy one if not check only the first one.

Then under Security Option:
[&] Security
[ ] Use SSL 2.0
[ ] Use SSL 3.0
[ ] Use STL 1.0
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.

Then download this software and update it then run a scan for malware:
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php

= Then Open a run command and type in these DLLs to re-register them:
regsvr32 SOFTPUB.DLL
regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
regsvr32 Mssip32.dll
regsvr32 Initpki.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 Sccbase.dll
regsvr32 Slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32 Dssenh.dll
regsvr32 Rsaenh.dll
Note you can copy the above and paste in a Notepad and Save As on the
Desktop reg.bat file then you can open a run command and type in:
C:\reg.bat click [OK] and then Yes.
Again on the Run command type in:
ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
ipconfig /renew click [OK]
netsh winsock reset click [OK]
Reboot your machine and see if you can access any website/link easily and
without the cannot connect error message.

= Open the Windows
Explorer and locate this path:
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc = look in the Right Pane/window for this
file called the HOSTS file but not the one with the extension *.SAM* leave
this as is.
If you can't see it try to click Tools >> Folder Options and select show
Hidden files and folder, then right Click the Hosts file and select open with
Notepad.
There see any reference for that site and remove it, you Hosts file will
looks like this:
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # Source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # Client Host
127.0.0.1 LocalHost
Remove all other References other than those above.
You can also try to assign the web address in the trusted zone on the IE
properties.

=> Before we go further are you connecting by Router or Modem, in either try
Power or unplug the Power cord for the Router/Modem for about 40 seconds or
so be generous with it <g> turn the computer OFF and wait for the time to go
by!!.
Then Turn the Router/Modem ON and wait a minute or so then Power ON the
computer and try to establish a connection and try the link, does it work?.

If still then continue the heavy work:
Open windows Explorer and locate the Hosts file and Rename it to Hosts.OLD
Reboot the machine and try, does it work.

If not try this:
search for them by this name *index.dat* and you can delete them
then the on reboot the system will recreate them for you.
Some of them here:
C:\Documents and settings\Administrator\Cookies = index
C:\Documents and Settings\User\Cookies = index
C:\Documents and settings\User\User data = index
C:\Windows\Temp\Cookies =index
C:\Windows\Temp\History = index
C:\Windows\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 = Index.dat
Reboot your machine and see if this helped.

restetting the Winsock:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
Open a run command and type in:
ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
ipconfig /renew click [OK]
netsh winsock reset click [OK]

or you can use this winsock fixer:
http://www.nasstec.co.uk/tools.html
Execute and t will prompt you to restart, please do so. and see if your
issue or part of it will resolve.

Update for Windows XP (KB904942)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1F9D33FF-7BFE-4336-9E65-972ED21324C4&displaylang=en

= Either try to update your windows scripting engine or Java version on your
computer, try to uninstall the old Java first.
Windows Script 5.6 Documentation
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

Check your connection (TCP/IP setting) are set correct.
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser&tid=d758dc98-aa78-49e7-a7da-52912407a30a&cat=en_US_64661a5c-a712-4bde-8131-45fb3ead8e70&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=en-us&m=1&p=1
HTH.
Let us know.
nass
===