Connection never chosen

1 view

Leo te Braake

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Since abt. 2 weeks neither MS IE nor OE do attempt by themselves to connect
to my service provider. The setting to one of my providers can be set to
"connect if no connection exists, and the rest of my session all is right.
Next day the setting is again "never make any connection".
I have also tried to set to älways connect to my standard connection", with
no difference.
I use Dutch version 5.5, but do not know the name of the various screens or
options involved, so the terms used here may be incorrect.
Who can help anyway?

--
Leo
Remove part of adres when answering!!!!

Jakub Moc

Nov 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/20/00
Posting this for about 20th time in last two weeks ;))

This is a workaround, no FIX is known to me so far.
Please note that the procedure described below is valid for US version of
WinME, you will need to adopt it a little to your language-specific settings
(just the change of Start menu startup folder should do....)

Just do the following:

------- Cut here --------
regedit.exe /s fixdial.reg
------- Cut here --------

Save the above as C:\Windows\fixdial.bat

------- Cut here --------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings]
"EnableAutodial"=dword:00000001

------- Cut here --------

Save the above as C:\Windows\fixdial.reg

Right click on fixdial.bat, select Properties, Program, Run - Minimized and
check the Close on exit box.

Click OK.

Next, copy C:\Windows\fixdial.pif file which should appear now to
C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp folder.

Restart your computer. After that, hopefully, you should have under Tools -
Internet Options - Connections "Always dial my default connection" checked.

Please note that this fix involves changes to your registry. Registry backup
in strongly recommended, however, I have tested this and have had no
problems so far.

--

Jakub Moc

Please do NOT reply to my email, your replies will NOT be usually answered.
____________
"Leo te Braake" <L.t.Braake....@hccnet.nl> wrote in message

Leo te Braake

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

Jakub Moc <jaku...@my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
Og#gA#zUAHA.181@cppssbbsa03...

Well, thanks, this seems to work. But I am still curious how come tat
register-changes (from within IE Tools-menu) are lost when leaving the
program? Or should another register-key be changed (NOT starting with
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ .... ) I'll try to find something on this subject in a
magazine I have. Any opinions on this matter out there?

Leo

Leo te Braake

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00

Leo te Braake <L.t.Braake....@hccnet.nl> schreef in berichtnieuws
8vuojd$2rd$1...@news.hccnet.nl...

> Jakub Moc <jaku...@my-deja.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> Og#gA#zUAHA.181@cppssbbsa03...
>
> > Posting this for about 20th time in last two weeks ;))

[...]

> > Jakub Moc
> >
> > Please do NOT reply to my email, your replies will NOT be usually
> answered.
> > ____________
>

> Well, thanks, this seems to work. But I am still curious how come tat
> register-changes (from within IE Tools-menu) are lost when leaving the
> program? Or should another register-key be changed (NOT starting with
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ .... ) I'll try to find something on this subject in a
> magazine I have. Any opinions on this matter out there?
>
> Leo

I have checked this: This indeed is the key to be used. It's value
predominates any equivalent register-entry from other main key's.

Leo te Braake

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00
I have discovered something new with regard to this problem: the type of the
subkey-value EnableAutodial is user-dependent on my system!

Using my own Identity and changing the value to 1, this happens in a window
with the title "Edit binary value".
Using my wife's identity, the window is called "Edit D-word Value". ( My
wife does nothing else than use the system for some word-processing and to
use Hotmail). She has not complained about the connection not coming up
automatically. With a problem concerning the connection she would refer to
me, not try something difficult like change I.E.'s defaults, or use
Regedit...)

Clearly either my or my wife's type for this key is wrong. How can I
establish, what to do, and how thorough?

I have become a bit suspicious, so I searched for al occurrences of
''EnableAutodial'' in the registry.
I found the entry
.....Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings\
EnableAutodial
on the next places:

HKEY_LocalMachine\Config\0001\Soft...
HKEY_USERS\.Default\Soft.... (Mark the dot before Default. There is a
Default and a .Default!!)

HKEY_USERS\Leo\Soft... (That's me! I cannot see my wife's
entries now)
HKEY_CURRECT_CONFIG\Soft.....

On all 4 spots the value is a binary value, not a Dword.

I opresume, that the latter 2enrties will read a Dword-type from my wife's
identity, but she's not home today.

I am going nuts.Which entry should I change? What does someone like e.g.
Tom Koch know about these
particular register-keys?