Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

Norbert Fehlauer [MVP]

ungelesen,
17.10.2005, 17:17:2817.10.05
an
Kevin from Belleview Florida wrote:
Hi,

> On a domain, how do you create or edit the default domain policy that
> will set the power scheme to "never" in all options. I need this to
> allow limited accounts to be automatically configured for "never" in
> all options.

There are some possibilities here:
1. You can try preconfiguring the default power sheme with the following adm
file
CLASS USER
CATEGORY "Power scheme"

POLICY "Enable Powerconfig for Desktop PCs"
EXPLAIN !!PwrCfg_Hlp
KEYNAME "Control Panel\PowerCfg"
PART "Choose Poweroption" DROPDOWNLIST
VALUENAME "CurrentPowerPolicy"
NOSORT
REQUIRED
ITEMLIST
NAME "Home/Office" VALUE 0
NAME "Portable/Laptop" VALUE 1
NAME "Presentation" VALUE 2
NAME "Always on" VALUE 3
NAME "Minimal Power Management" VALUE 4
NAME "Max Battery" VALUE 5
END ITEMLIST
END PART
END POLICY

END CATEGORY

[STRINGS]
PwrCfg_Hlp="Home/Office Desk-> For desktop computers, this scheme is
installed with Typical/Compact/Custom Setup options.\n\nPortable/Laptop->
Optimized for portable computers, this scheme includes aggressive settings
for running on batteries (the AC settings are the same as desktop). This
scheme is installed with Typical/Compact/Custom/Portable Setup
options.\n\nPresentation-> This scheme prevents the computer from going into
Standby mode. It is intended for use with computer presentations, when you
need the computer display to stay on.\n\nAlways On-> For use with personal
servers, this scheme is similar to Home/Office, but has the Standby timer
disabled and disk drive timer increased. It is installed when you install a
server.\n\nMinimal Power Management-> In this scheme, some power management
features, such as timed hibernation or a timed event that can put the disk
drive in a sleep mode, are disabled.\n\nMax Battery-> To conserve as much
battery power as possible, this scheme allows a relatively short time of
inactivity before it places the computer in a power saving state."

2. You can build a .msi file with your configuration and deploy it with a
gpo
3. You can use EZ GPO Software
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_ez_gpo
4. Or you can use 3rd party software like Policymaker from Desktopstandard
http://www.desktopstandard.com/PolicyMakerStandard.aspx

HTH
Norbert
--
Dilbert's words of wisdom #10: I don't have an attitude problem. You
have a perception problem.

Gregg Hill

ungelesen,
18.10.2005, 11:33:1418.10.05
an
Norbert,

I assumed you meant that we could use this custom ADM on the SBS server in a
GPO applied to desktops. I added the template, but when I click on it, there
is nothing there in the GP editor.

Gregg Hill

"Norbert Fehlauer [MVP]" <n.feh...@gmx.net> wrote in message

Norbert Fehlauer [MVP]

ungelesen,
18.10.2005, 12:28:3318.10.05
an
Gregg Hill wrote:
Hi,

> I assumed you meant that we could use this custom ADM on the SBS
> server in a GPO applied to desktops.

Right.

> I added the template, but when I
> click on it, there is nothing there in the GP editor.

Do you see the category Power scheme on the left side?
Look at this page and configure your filter view. ;)
http://www.gpoguy.com/FAQs/tattoo.htm
Clear the Only show policy settings that can be fully managed.

HTH
Norbert

Gregg Hill

ungelesen,
18.10.2005, 20:03:4018.10.05
an
Norbert,

Yes, I could see the "Power scheme" on the left but nothing on the right. I
unchecked that filter setting and I can see it now.

Thank you!

Gregg Hill

"Norbert Fehlauer [MVP]" <n.feh...@gmx.net> wrote in message

xevious

ungelesen,
25.10.2005, 09:05:0425.10.05
an
just what i wanted, or so i thought... since this custom adm template isn't
making any difference for me! i can control it in gpmc, but client machines
still have same result ("Access denied" when applying changes)

**yes, i have done the gpupdate /force...**

any ideas?

Norbert Fehlauer [MVP]

ungelesen,
25.10.2005, 12:31:3525.10.05
an
xevious wrote:
Hi,

> just what i wanted, or so i thought... since this custom adm template
> isn't making any difference for me! i can control it in gpmc, but
> client machines still have same result ("Access denied" when applying
> changes)

Sure why wouldn't this make a difference? You don't change the permission
for a user to change the energy schema. You define the schema the users have
to use. They don't get the permissions to change this at their own.

> **yes, i have done the gpupdate /force...**

That has nothing to do with the fact. ;)

> any ideas?

Yes your understanding of the adm template is wrong. If you want to let your
users configure the power schemas then you have to give them the permission
to write into the registry path shown in the adm template.

xevious

ungelesen,
28.10.2005, 03:24:0328.10.05
an
excellent. sorry, deff didn't have my thinking cap on!
thanks!

KipKup

ungelesen,
09.01.2006, 04:31:0209.01.06
an
Hi..
I was just looking arround, and found some results here pretty close to what
I need.

I want to setup a power saving policy at work.
Computers should turn off their monitor after about 15 minutes, and shutdown
after about 30 minutes of idle time. (don't say they won't be able to save
their stuff, not an issue).
Another nice feature would be if I coulde set a time for the computers to
shutdown. E.g. at 4pm (perhaps with a 5 minute warning and then again 30
minutes later, sorry requesting a lot I know).

Able to help me with anything, please reply

Gregg Hill

ungelesen,
11.01.2006, 04:54:2311.01.06
an
My users would beat me to death if I did that. What happens at crunch time
and people are working late? Your policy would kill them.

Gregg Hill

"KipKup" <Kip...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

KipKup

ungelesen,
11.01.2006, 05:38:0411.01.06
an
Not arround here, as I said.. It ain't an issue..
My users is only a bunch of students using the computer in maximum 90
minutes at the time, and they have to leave the room in the breaks, and they
are told to save their work.. So if they lose theire 90 minutes work, due to
disabling Word's default auto save function, I really don't care :)
But found a nice 3. party application which is able to do much of the work
for me.. But is just about to look in to it..

Gregg Hill

ungelesen,
21.01.2006, 01:42:2421.01.06
an
Oh, I was thinking of an office situation. Never mind!

Gregg Hill

"KipKup" <Kip...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Marzipan

ungelesen,
28.04.2006, 15:49:0228.04.06
an
The ADM sample "Norbert Fehlauer [MVP]" wrote will allow you to change the
power scheme, how about if we want to manage the settings withing a scheme.

For instance, "Home Office / Desk" we want to change "Turn of Monitor:" from
"after 20 minutes" to "after 30 minutes" ??

Can you add a custom scheme?

Also, could this be added to the "Power Management" folder already in the
administrative template?

Mark Heitbrink [MVP]

ungelesen,
29.04.2006, 09:37:3629.04.06
an
Hi,

Marzipan schrieb:

> The ADM sample "Norbert Fehlauer [MVP]" wrote will allow you to change the
> power scheme, how about if we want to manage the settings withing a scheme.

Create it locally as a new scheme, export the reg_binary and create
an MSI, deploy the MSI to all clients and edit the ADM to fit the
new scheme.

Or create a new Scheme and deploy the binary with DesktopStandard
Registry Extension (free)

Or http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=power_mgt.pr_pm_ez_gpo
you have to deploy a clientsoftware, then you can edit it with an ADM
(withou the client-sw, it can´t interprete the settings)

Or much more comfortable: Use DesktopStandard PolicyMaker but thats
the complete suite, not only the RegExtension. So not Freeware.
Then you have a GUI, with the well known CPL from control panel.
http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de/Bilder/Energie-Policymaker.gif

No more Ideas ... ;-)

Mark
--