OLE Registration Not Working in XP Pro 64bit?

1 view

lovewater

Nov 19, 2005, 1:52:03 PM11/19/05
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Recently I noticed that I was unable to send "via right click" images
displayed in IE to a mail client message of the same machine. IE would return
an error saying that "This document cannot be sent as email, would you like
to send a shortcut instead?" In all cases, if I select yes, it asks the
message again, then the behavior listed below occurs.

If I use IE 32bit, and select yes, a shortcut is pasted to blank email
message, with Outlook indicating "Outlook has blocked access to the
potentially unsafe attachments: attachment_name." Yet, it shows the URL
shortcut in an email message. If I select no, nothing happens, as probably
should be.

If I use IE 64bit, and select yes or no, the system attempts to install
Outlook Express with an "Internet Connection Wizard" window.

I checked Outlook 2003 and found that the mail format message default is to
use MS Word (found in Outlook under Tools, Options, Mail Format.) However, if
I tried to create a new email message, a word looking format appears and
allows text entry. Upon saving or sending the message, MS Word returns the
following error message “Interface Not Registered”, and hit ok, and then the
following message indicating that an OLE error has occurred.

I have repaired Office, Word, and IE but no change in the status. I have
searched through all of the settings yet without success to find that one
little bit which makes the difference.

There may be two problems here. From a symptoms viewpoint, I cannot use MS
Word to construct emails, and I cannot start or create an email message by
pasting or passing an object from IE.

I am not sure how to check if the OLE registration process was successful
for MS Word and Outlook and IE, even though I have run repair several times.

I did have Avast AV installed but I have since disabled it. (It could not be
uninstalled.)

Any ideas?

OEM Version of XP Pro 64bit with latest Updates (SP1)
Small Business Office Suite 2003
Dell Dimension XPS 600 w/ 830 Dual Core
1GB RAM
SATA RAID 1 with 250GB Maxtor Drives
NVida 6800 256MB
Ethernet Wired to Router DSL
HP Officejet 5610xi
Maxtor One Touch 300GB on Firewire
DVD-ROM
DVD- Dual Layer Writer
19" LCD 1905 Dell Branded
Wireless mouse and keyboard Dell Branded
Fuzzy dustball next to mouse.

Tony Sperling

Nov 19, 2005, 2:05:23 PM11/19/05
Wonder if this isn't your firewall, the default settings will block
everything that you, or the account owner, do not request - so look over
those settings.

Tony. . .

"lovewater" <love...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

lovewater

Nov 19, 2005, 2:20:02 PM11/19/05
Thanks.... but I don't have the Nvida Firewall loaded, and as for the MS
Firewall, I am using the default Admin account. I did check the MS Firewall
and saw nothing that would indicate that OLE registration would be blocked on
the local computer for the admin.

Colin Barnhorst

Nov 19, 2005, 2:57:07 PM11/19/05
There is a known issue with the nVidia firewall that has been discussed here
often. Even if you choose not to install the firewall a piece of it gets
installed anyway. The resolution is to install the firewall so the
uninstaller can see it and then uninstall the firewall. The uninstaller
then removes even the piece that was installed. This may not be your
problem, but it is worth trying.

"lovewater" <love...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Tony Sperling

Nov 19, 2005, 2:57:56 PM11/19/05
I can't be sure, it could be the Firewall setting for that other account -
and for you to be able to send e-mail across, you need to have some sort of
local network set up, right? So, I was suspecting that the Firewall is
blocking that connection together with your default internet connection. You
might have to set up some 'profiles' for the Firewall, or whatever they call
it, these days. Settings that targets each of the accounts separately.

And no, I wasn't thinking specifically about the nVidia Firewall, if that is
it, it can play havoc even though you did not install it, the proper way to
get rid of that issue (if that is it) is to Install the Firewall, and the
Un-install it. It's, what you'd call a bug in the early versions of that
thing. Apparently, not everybody is affected.

Tony. . .

Alexis

Nov 19, 2005, 3:42:37 PM11/19/05
lovewater,

i have the same problem. "Interface Not Registered"
i diselected MS word in Mail format to be able to work with emails which
images.
alexis

lovewater

Nov 19, 2005, 4:53:02 PM11/19/05
Ok... I did install, and then uninstall the firewall. No joy... It didn't
seem to change anything, except to remove the "Armour" function of the
firewall. Perhaps that will keep me from finding the next problem. :)

lovewater

Nov 19, 2005, 4:55:03 PM11/19/05
Actually, I did not think that the firewall was the problem since the image
that I attempted to send to Outlook was already displayed in the IE window,
and hence, already sitting on my computer. In any case, I have installed,
uninstalled the NVidia firewall, and it did not make any difference to this
problem.

Thanks though.

lovewater

Nov 19, 2005, 4:56:02 PM11/19/05
Acutally, if I deselect MS Word in Outlook, only a shortcut appears and not
the graphic image itself.

Carlos

Nov 19, 2005, 8:21:02 PM11/19/05
"Interface not registered" is a well known issue.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;es;889885#XSLTH3124121123120121120120
To fix it, just run the following command
regsvr32 ole32.dll
No reboot needed.
That should fix it.
Carlos

lovewater

Nov 19, 2005, 8:32:01 PM11/19/05
Thank you... I wasn't able to find that solution in the English version of
the Knowledgebase. I guess next time I will try Spanish.

Gracias mucho. Recuerdos, Richard

And thank you to all others who helped.
Richard

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]